You're going to Wembley, but, You’re staying down😄

LN747

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Although they have an older team, without the bonus of improving youngsters that we have.

And they've already spent big, so going to be hard for them to do it again.

Their fans appear apathetic about the quality of football and see their end of season demise similarly to us, in that they've run out of steam because of tired legs.

There are threads on their forum calling for nearly all their players to go. And as for Flint.....! 

But they won about 5 on the bounce to finish the season on a high and set a new record for most amount of points without securing autos. I think they’re just being dramatic. Ipswich spent a fortune and Plymouth created the perfect storm of amazing young gaffer and brilliant squad. 

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Agree with all that. There’s no way that squad can go again it needs an overhaul and there will be question marks about Big Dave (Darren Moore) as to whether he’s the right man to take them forward. They could face a Sunderland scenario now. 

However their finances aren’t that fragile given they can get around FFP more in the lower leagues. Chansiri is a billionaire so can put money in, whether he will when he’s sunk so much into them already is another matter. But we could face a Villa scenario where they’re outbidding us for same targets.

What are you talking about? What does Chansiri being a billionaire have to do with FFP? They have lower revenue in league one, therefore less room to spend. It is not easier to get around FFP lower down, not sure what you're saying? 

19 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

They have only 7 players under the age of 27 with 4 of those out of contractthis summer. None of them played more than 50% of the total minutes this season.

They have only 7 other players under 30 with 4 of those also out of contract.

In fact, I think they only have about 7 players contracted beyond the summer. A couple of players to have extension options too.

They don’t have great players anyway, bannan obviously decent. And windass.

no one else I look at and think we should go and get.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Their squad did achieve 96 points which has never not promoted a team in the EFL in history to be fair. Not a huge rebuild needed to go one further. Just not having Plymouth and Ipswich should be enough.

I think there might need to be a bit of a rebuild. I look at their side and I honestly don't see any player that I'd want Derby to have.

Their recruitment policy seems to be to recruit experienced robust league one players. But that has resulted in them being very one dimensional. They are a functional outfit. Some of their players look a bit over the hill. Their attack is slow and uninspiring.

They've had two bites at the cherry now. Despite their points total I just can't see that same side going again next season. They need a bit of a rethink with some fresh hungrier players.

10 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

This could be a massive setback for the Wendies that might set them back two or three years. Their finances are fragile and with 96 points they should have gone up. What do they do next? Sack the manager who got 96 points and replace him with who? And they need a younger squad. They're in a turmoil that they need to get out of quick.

in turmoil?

Never Mind Oh Dear GIF by Harborne Web Design Ltd

Edited by scout's dad

14 minutes ago, Rich3478 said:

They don’t have great players anyway, bannan obviously decent. And windass.

no one else I look at and think we should go and get.

There are a handful in their squad I wouldn’t object to as options for us. If transfermarkt is accurate (which we know it’s often not) Iorfa, Adeniran and Dele-Bashiru are all out of contract this summer and all in that peak age bracket. All 3 played plenty of games in a side that racked up 96 points despite their collapse so not complete rubbish. 

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There are a handful in their squad I wouldn’t object to as options for us. If transfermarkt is accurate (which we know it’s often not) Iorfa, Adeniran and Dele-Bashiru are all out of contract this summer and all in that peak age bracket. All 3 played plenty of games in a side that racked up 96 points despite their collapse so not complete rubbish. 

No, just equally not brilliant.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

I think there might need to be a bit of a rebuild. I look at their side and I honestly don't see any player that I'd want Derby to have.

Their recruitment policy seems to be to recruit experienced robust league one players. But that has resulted in them being very one dimensional. They are a functional outfit. Some of their players look a bit over the hill. Their attack is slow and uninspiring.

They've had two bites at the cherry now. Despite their points total I just can't see that same side going again next season. They need a bit of a rethink with some fresh hungrier players.

They achieved 96 points in the same league . I’d suggest that if there isn’t a single player we’d have from their squad then we probably haven’t watched or don’t know enough about their players… 20 points more than us would point to a significantly better squad than ours. 

they’ll be favourites for the title next season no doubt. 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

They achieved 96 points in the same league . I’d suggest that if there isn’t a single player we’d have from their squad then we probably haven’t watched or don’t know enough about their players… 20 points more than us would point to a significantly better squad than ours. 

they’ll be favourites for the title next season no doubt. 

They did finish with 96 points, but many teams have come close and not been anywhere near as good the year later. MK Dons springs to mind. Wednesday has an aging squad, what we lack if pace and athleticism, they might have some objectively good players but it isn't what we need. Quite reasonable to say we wouldn't sign their players. 

Just now, Andicis said:

They did finish with 96 points, but many teams have come close and not been anywhere near as good the year later. MK Dons springs to mind. Wednesday has an aging squad, what we lack if pace and athleticism, they might have some objectively good players but it isn't what we need. Quite reasonable to say we wouldn't sign their players. 

Yeah but MK dons and Wednesday are very different beasts aren’t they? 

They’re in a stronger starting position than we are (evidently by comparing our seasons) and will be able to match us financially for any recruitment this summer.

Just now, IlsonDerby said:

Yeah but MK dons and Wednesday are very different beasts aren’t they? 

They’re in a stronger starting position than we are (evidently by comparing our seasons) and will be able to match us financially for any recruitment this summer.

MK Dons got 89 points and finished above Wednesday last year. Different club sizes sure, but that actually has little to do with the point being made.

Wednesday are going to have to be cautious about recruitment this summer, I don't think they'll have that much FFP room with the likes of Bannan on 30k+ in league one. I imagine a lot of their players are on decent contracts as their last payday. I actually would rather be in our position than theirs, who knows what stage their planning at for league one is, it was reasonable to assume they would go up comfortably. 

I think it's too simplistic to assume they'll just be automatically towards the top. It's likely going to be wholesale change with a lot of their players going out of contract and the manager almost certainly going. Who knows. I'd favour our current stability. 

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

What are you talking about? What does Chansiri being a billionaire have to do with FFP? They have lower revenue in league one, therefore less room to spend. It is not easier to get around FFP lower down, not sure what you're saying? 

I thought the only restriction in league 1 is that clubs can only spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on players wages. Crucially for this point, revenue can include donations from owners. If I’m correct, then they can overcome the restrictions if Chansiri chooses to inject more funds into the club. Hence why him being a billionaire could be significant.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

MK Dons got 89 points and finished above Wednesday last year. Different club sizes sure, but that actually has little to do with the point being made.

Wednesday are going to have to be cautious about recruitment this summer, I don't think they'll have that much FFP room with the likes of Bannan on 30k+ in league one. I imagine a lot of their players are on decent contracts as their last payday. I actually would rather be in our position than theirs, who knows what stage their planning at for league one is, it was reasonable to assume they would go up comfortably. 

I think it's too simplistic to assume they'll just be automatically towards the top. It's likely going to be wholesale change with a lot of their players going out of contract and the manager almost certainly going. Who knows. I'd favour our current stability. 

Their squad is currently stronger than ours. 
Them being hamstrung by FFP is probably equivalent to us only being able to offer modest fees within a business plan. 

They’ll probably replace Moore who’s arguably been unlucky. They don’t have to sell players, and if your analysis of their squad is accurate there won’t be a clamber for any of them. 

MK on the other hand had their quality gutted (Twine etc), couldn’t replace with like for like due to being MK and ultimately fine margins are brutal at this level. 

Edited by IlsonDerby
Spelling

Just now, Tamworthram said:

I thought the only restriction in league 1 is that clubs can only spend a maximum of 60% of their turnover on players wages. Crucially for this point, revenue can include donations from owners. If I’m correct, then they can overcome the restrictions if Chansiri chooses to inject more funds into the club. Hence why him being a billionaire could be significant.

FFP seems somewhat redundant in that instance if that is the case. A quick google does appear to be correct there. 

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

Their strong is currently stronger than ours. 
Them being hamstrung by FFP is probably equivalent to us only being able to offer modest fees within a business plan. 

They’ll probably replace Moore who’s arguably been unlucky. They don’t have to sell players, and if your analysis of their squad is accurate there won’t be a clamber for any of them. 

MK on the other hand had their quality gutted (Twine etc), couldn’t replace with like for like due to being MK and ultimately fine margins are brutal at this level. 

Sure, won't argue with that. 

They don't have to sell players, some will go with their contracts up. Players over 30 are always running the risk of being one injury away from never being the same again. It's football, a 2-5% change in the level of the team makes a huge difference. Wednesday won many games this season 1-0, a small drop in level and that's 2 points dropped. As we all know, things can change extremely quickly in football so I wouldn't be signing them off as Champions yet.

And to go back to the original point, it's still completely reasonable to say that we wouldn't sign any of their players. 

4 minutes ago, WystonRam said:

Insane ST prices too for next season

image.thumb.png.1eb8a0cea7edcffeec291746dc8cd70d.png

Ouch … That’s ridiculous for league 1