We just fell short. We have to accept and deal with it. It's not a time for the "blame game".

Without parroting the "we only had 5 players just before the season started" mantra over and over again, the truth is at least 5 teams in our league, were at a far more advanced stage of team development than us - and it showed.

We got off to a slow start because of it, we had a squad relatively thin in numbers, which told on occasions - and that, ultimately was the difference between a play-off spot, or better - and not.

We could argue PW wasn't good enough, terrible key refereeing decisions in games, but ultimately lack of consistency cost us.

I'd argue, at the start of the season, the average expectation of our final position would be somewhere between 10th and 4th - and we pretty much performed as expected. Yes, we had a few star recruits like McGoldrick and Hourihane, in their twilight years, but you need strength throughout.

Recruiting late, and basically being stuck with those players with little or no wiggle room throughout the season, was no substitute for teams that were better planned and more organised than us.

You don't get out this division quickly, unless you are relegated from the Championship with a heavyweight squad that you can afford to maintain whilst you're down here.

Like most teams in League 1, we have to learn the "long division" route is the only sustainable route back up. We didn't have it, others did.

Close but no cigar. But realistically not that surprising. 'Twas always thus in this division. Having 30,000+ crowds doesn't guarantee anything unless you get the basics right. We didn't have the time to nail all those basics.

I'm as gutted as everybody else we missed out today, but foundations need to be built to progress upwards.

DTID.

I actually think this could be a blessing in disguise....

If we'd been promoted, we would have really struggled to recruit decent Championship level players within the financial restraints that we'll be under next season (even assuming the EFL permitted us a bit more wriggle room) - it had the potential to be a horrible season with us spending most of the time in the lower reaches trying to fight off relegation. As it is, we will be after less-able (League One level) players, a lot of whom will have played at PP this season and will have liked what they've seen - we'll still be one of the biggest clubs in the division and we'll hopefully be able to recruit players to address the obvious gaps in the squad, permit us to have more options in the matchday squad, and really give it a go from the start of the season with a fully fit squad that have all had a proper pre-season (something we struggled with this year) - and if we do go up, we should be free of the EFL and their diktats when we start in the Championship to really give us a fair chance to compete....

I've not read the posts only the title . Yes we can blame someone.... The corrupt EFL who have made sure our games are not refereed unfairly. And to all those idiots who can't or refuse to see what's going on right in front of their happy clapper eyes, don't forget to put Father Christmas a mince pie out on Dec 24th !!!!

Edited by Seaside Ram

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It's not a blame game, it's trying to discuss why this, very good for this level, squad didn't do better than 7th.

You've already set up a straw man argument Roy.

Bris on another thread is saying we are flat track bullies as our record against the higher teams in the division is very poor.

Doesn't that infer that our squad is capable of beating the lower teams but not the higher teams as it's really not that good?

But you persist with this argument that we should be doing better as our squad is full of world beaters.

The whole premise of your argument is flawed as you are basically propogating your opinion as fact that our squad is very good for this level to quote you. 

Edited by Tyler Durden

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

But you persist with this argument that we should be doing better as our squad is full of world beaters.

I wasn't the only one thinking this thanks mate. The 'esteemed' panel on Sky Sports News this morning thought so too. Warne thinks not being a top 6 finish is a failure too.

So why are you picking on me?!

Edited by RoyMac5

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wasn't the only one thinking this thanks mate. The 'esteemed' panel on Sky Sports News this morning thought so too. Warne thinks not being a top 6 finish is a failure too.

So why are you picking on me?!

I don't watch Sky Sports for obvious reasons so whatever panelists they trot out with their expert opinions is neither here nor there. 

Warne will say he's disappointed of course. 

I'm just very weary of the predictable stuff on here stating that our squad should be romping the league as they should. 

We hardly had a team in the summer so the players we did manage to band together at short notice have done a sterling job getting us to where we finished this season. 

For some folks it's never enough.

Edited by Tyler Durden

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Warne will say he's disappointed of course. 

I'm just go weary of the predictable stuff on here stating that our squad should be romping the league as they should. We hardly had a team in the summer so the players we did manage to band together at short notice have done a sterling job getting is to where we found from finished this season. 

For some folks it's never enough.

He didn't have to say that it would be a failure. So yes apparently for some people it isn't enough. That doesn't excuse your sniping at my comments when you are the one not accepting that our manager and 'football experts' say we should have done better!

Edited by RoyMac5

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

He didn't have to say that it would be a failure. So yes apparently for some people it isn't enough. That still doesn't excuse your sniping at my comments when you are the one not accepting that our manager and 'football experts' say we should have done better!

There's loads of football experts on this forum Roy.

And then there are realists.

Let's leave it there. 

49 minutes ago, Seaside Ram said:

I've not read the posts only the title . Yes we can blame someone.... The corrupt EFL who have made sure our games are not refereed unfairly. And to all those idiots who can't or refuse to see what's going on right in front of their happy clapper eyes, don't forget to put Father Christmas a mince pie out on Dec 24th !!!!

This is just boll00cks.

the refs at this level are poor. There isn’t a conspiracy against us. 

We will recruit some ball winners/tacklers, players with pace all over the pitch and a couple of others (apart from McGoldrick) who can stick the ball in the net. That’s the difference between us and the six above us. 

Can’t wait for next season to start. For those who can’t be patient enough Forest are just up the road.