Gary Lineker

Day

1 hour ago, Archied said:

I’ve made it plain many times that I laugh my nuts off at the stupid whataboutery term , it’s a swerve for hypocrisy,,, this so called whataboutery is an invaluable tool for me to use on myself when I’m forming an opinion , it can make things hard because there’s no place to hide if you use it honestly, you keep trotting it out if you like but I will carry on seeing it for what it is , a tool/tactic  to have one rule for some and another for others??‍♂️

Dont use the H word, it got me a ban, twice!

I'm learning though. 

Another thing Ive learnt this week is that tax avoidance is only bad if you're right wing, pretend to be compassionate and caring for other people and its fine.

46 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Its hard to know how to refer to anyone these days to be fair, know how upset you extreme left wingers become if the wrong pronoun is used...

Maybe you could follow the example of those on the right and just the term woke for everyone that differs from themselves now days?

Well I suppose it's easier for their small mindedness to remember just the one pronoun.

5 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Maybe you could follow the example of those on the right and just the term woke for everyone that differs from themselves now days?

Well I suppose it's easier for their small mindedness to remember just the one pronoun.

Pronoun stuff is pathetic, him or her will do , the rest is just indulging the attention seekers

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

Who said that?

Any of the people that have tried to defend Linekers use of a limited company to try and bypass PAYE and National Insurance from his employment, and to bypass Stamp Duty on his house in Barbados, by using the argument that both are legal, but did not apply the same argument to Rishi Sunaks non dom status or Rees Moggs firms hedge funds for example.

Edited by G STAR RAM

11 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's a climbdown of epic proportions.

Lineker gets his job back, he can continue Tweeting as he sees fit and the Tories are lambasting the BBC to anyone who will listen. Meanwhile, the Bollinger quaffing Wokies are falling about laughing.

I think that about sums it up. 

So the DG is lying about Lineker agreeing to abide by the guidelines? I shall wait to see what happens if he calls anyone a Nazi again. 

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Honestly, do you believe what you're writing?

A social housing policy would mean slightly lower profits for the big house building corporations and the big private rental corporations. They'd still be very, very rich. 

It would also mean a bit more money floating around the local economies with hard working families having a tiny bit more to spend with lower rents.

Why aren’t these big house building corporations building more houses now if they are able to make such profits? And don’t say it’s the planning laws . There’s unused planning permission for over 1 million homes. 

their costs have gone up same as everyone else. I don’t expect you to feel sorry for them. 

but anyway I thought social housing was built by local authorities. They used to call them council houses. Where are the councils going to get the money from like I say there isn’t any. 

40 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Any of the people that have tried to defend Linekers use of a limited company to try and bypass PAYE and National Insurance from his employment, and to bypass Stamp Duty on his house in Barbados, by using the argument that both are legal, but did not apply the same argument to Rishi Sunaks non dom status or Rees Moggs firms hedge funds for example.

Has anybody in here defended Lineker over his tax avoidance - if that is what it turns out to be?

i certainly haven't and I've not seen anybody suggest he be allowed to flout the law because he's not a Tory. If he's guilty treat him the same way as everyone else caught.

But I know you're a stickler for being specific with you language and hate people having words out in their mouth, so I must have missed it. 

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Has anybody in here defended Lineker over his tax avoidance - if that is what it turns out to be?

i certainly haven't and I've not seen anybody suggest he be allowed to flout the law because he's not a Tory. If he's guilty treat him the same way as everyone else caught.

But I know you're a stickler for being specific with you language and hate people having words out in their mouth, so I must have missed it. 

No, where did I say anyone on here had said it? Or is this just another thing you've made up, that you fail to back up, so move on to something else?

10 hours ago, 1of4 said:

The little escapade between the BBC and Lineker as done it's job of deflecting the focus away from the government's immigration policy. But if Lineker is off air much longer, the story of his "sacking" starts to become stale. People may actually start looking at Lineker's twitter and realise what he said had a lot of truth to it.

So the BBC reinstate him, thereby creating a new news story that as everyone speculating on what as been agreed between them. Which keeps the focus off this inhuman immigration bill for another week. By which time the government will be hoping people's interest will have moved on to an other issue.

A very tiny deflection at most, Todays top story tomorrows chip paper, We have a hard core of right and left in this Country where stories like this will not be forgotten, It will be used as a lever to get across another story of their choosing.

We're a strange bunch as people, Remember 2008 and the banking crisis, It didn't take long for people to forget or focus on other things, It's what we do.

The UK, USA and Australia have committed billions £s and $s to fight a looming threat from China and yet this gets just a little news, Where a TV personality and social media go into overdrive concerning 1000s of refugees coming to the UK in boats...there's always been 1000s of people coming over, Using boats is an easier way for the gangs and the use of hotels starts to wind people up.

I guess it's how some believe what they think is right to what some people think is wrong, Always 2 sides to every coin.

Edited by The Last Post

14 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

No, where did I say anyone on here had said it? Or is this just another thing you've made up, that you fail to back up, so move on to something else?

Ah, I see, so you were just rambling on about unnamed people.

If you actually named these people I'd have understood what you meant.

I told you more about the Jewish lady who you said was no more likely to know more about the Holocaust than anybody else because your dad didn't know much about WWII, so humour me and tell me who these people are

If they think Lineker is above the law I will be happy to condemn them too.

Come on G star, let's do it.

Let's team up together and rule the world!

brothers GIF

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I don’t know anything about his Barbados dealings but, I wouldn’t be surprised if he had no choice but to use a limited company for his work for the BBC (and other companies). Until I decided to retire early nearly two years ago I had been contracting for various organisations (including a county council but most of the time for Lloyds Bank). All those organisations insisted on contractors operating through a limited company. 

9 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Honestly, do you believe what you're writing?

A social housing policy would mean slightly lower profits for the big house building corporations and the big private rental corporations. They'd still be very, very rich. 

It would also mean a bit more money floating around the local economies with hard working families having a tiny bit more to spend with lower rents.

There's a huge housing development of 3000 houses a 5 minute walk from my dwelling, It's one of those Green villages where social housing is a must from the builders, They'll be very small boxes with little space as a back garden so they can squeeze another house on it, The private houses are shifting for £350/£400k, Yet the promised road structure is yet to start.

Lorries by the truck load moving down by the canal where they constantly knock the bridge wall down a short cut which the builders have been told time and again not to use, But money is king and diesel is expensive.  

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

OK, but do you have any actual examples you can show me? 

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Another thing Ive learnt this week is that tax avoidance is only bad if you're right wing, pretend to be compassionate and caring for other people and its fine

For the record, the stuff about Lineker's tax deeply concerns me and I hope he pays up his fair share. Not that it has anything to do with the issue in hand. Unless I'm missing something. I can defend him for making very valid comments on this government's ugly messaging AND condemn him for avoiding tax. These aren't mutually exclusive opinions

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

They used to call them council houses. Where are the councils going to get the money from like I say there isn’t any. 

Council house building is in it's death throws, Private builders are now building social housing, Councils get their loot from Council tax.

3 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Council house building is in it's death throws, Private builders are now building social housing, Councils get their loot from Council tax.

Well yes. So to pay the private builders to build social housing councils have to increase council tax. Just had my council tax bill for next year… not keen for that to go up anymore to be honest.