Gary Lineker

Day

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

But you haven’t answered the question. How would you solve the crisis? Or do you think there isn’t one, it’s just dog whistling for the Red wall voters? 

This is a good listen, especially some of the ideas on what we can do and also putting our British "crisis" into context. Rory Stewart is excellent at summing up complicated issues in a few sentances. I didn't really understand the Good Friday Agreement and the Northern Ireland Protocal issues until he explained them a couple of weeks ago...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0tubl2hSgaf27NU3KfH7WG?si=FJC6HkSQTQqwy1EtRrT2QQ&app_destination=copy-link

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

This has literally never happened, and never will happen. Also, helping those most in need by offering legal asylum makes me proud to be British.

100 million lol. Are they all arriving on the same small boat?

Sorry, I was been sarcastic, as well as using language similar to far right politicans in the 20s.

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

Give over, he's answered the question. I can see it's a subject that you're passionate about, but remember not all of us have the issue with immigration that others do. Let's all agree to disagree, let the polling stations handle it and carry on watching the rams go up.

Actually I’m in favour of immigration. I do think we need to have immigration for economic growth. But I think that the oppressive regimes in China and Russia and elsewhere is going to worsen the problem of displaced people, which is already a global problem. 

this was all orchestrated to deflect BBC attention away from the real things they should be reporting about.

There are Europe wide protests. Farmers, Doctors, Nurses, regarding Migrant Hotels, the funds being given to Macron and to Ukraine, that bank collapsing (hmm, where did all that money go?)

But instead we've got people divided on a throwaway comment from Lineker that is so vague that nobody can truly be offended, but rightly embarrasses inhumane tory policy.

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Yes but that was another BBC mess up loads of presenters were classed by BBC as freelancers only for HMRC to treat them as employees. Adrian Chiles got stung for example. 

... and? Doesn't change the fact that even the BBC say he is a freelancer. I would expect that particular loophole has since been sorted, but you never know.

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

You don’t think? I mean you can criticise Braverman by all means. Is she lying that there are 100million displaced people around the world with many many more keen to migrate? Maybe not all coming here I will grant you that but unless those numbers are made up I don’t see it as anything other than a crisis, not one unique to the Uk sure . 

"Maybe not all coming here" is something of an understatement!

Listen to that podcast though, there are some interesting ideas on what the world could do to help solve the problems. It requires leadership though, something the UK used to be good at.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

this was all orchestrated to deflect BBC attention away from the real things they should be reporting about.

There are Europe wide protests. Farmers, Doctors, Nurses, regarding Migrant Hotels, the funds being given to Macron and to Ukraine, that bank collapsing (hmm, where did all that money go?)

But instead we've got people divided on a throwaway comment from Lineker that is so vague that nobody can truly be offended, but rightly embarrasses inhumane tory policy.

We are giving 500 million to France to reduce the small boats issue back to what it was before Brexit. Nice work guys.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

My dad fought in the war in North Africa and was at D-Day plus 6 but until relatively recently, I knew next to nothing about the war.

This lady lived through the holocaust and had her family murdered. If you think those two events are similar then you probably think Derby beating Oxford was the same as Derby beating Benfica 3-0.

You clearly have little to no comprehension of how the Jewish people view and feel the holocaust, especially those who lost loved ones.

And in any case, this woman has read up on the murder of her own family (as 99.9% of people would) and knows a little bit more than most people on a DCFC football board, or she's pulling stuff out of her ass.

I was about to say that other than you, I doubt anybody on this board thinks her opinion of what the Germans did does not carry significantly more weight than their own. But, in reality, I don't think you even think that.

It goes back to you painting yourself into a corner by saying something that most people know is utter nonsense and leaving yourself with nowhere to go and nothing to do but lash out.

She was born in 1940 so what have been 4 or 5 years old by the time the war ended, you think she can clearly recall what was said years before she was even born? 

No, she will have read and watched the same things that anyone else has and therefore will be basing her opinion on exactly the same things that other people who have read and watched programmes about the holocaust would be doing. 

Where have I lashed out exactly?

You told a lie which I called you out on and you told me to grow up. Then you resorted to waffling on about Brexit as some sort of distraction.

I'm fine if you dont like my views, I think that's pretty clear, its you that needs to take a look at your own behaviour when responding to people with a different view to you.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

You don’t think? I mean you can criticise Braverman by all means. Is she lying that there are 100million displaced people around the world with many many more keen to migrate? Maybe not all coming here I will grant you that but unless those numbers are made up I don’t see it as anything other than a crisis, not one unique to the Uk sure . 

The 100m figure was a UN one. The problem with her quoting *that* figure, is that the majority (think it was somewhere between 70-80%) are displaced within their own country.

Then to use the billions figure was ludicrous.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Sorry, I was been sarcastic, as well as using language similar to far right politicans in the 20s.

Ah but the real question is and always was...

Is 'using language not dissimilar to' and 'using language similar to' actually the same thing?

Think on!

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

@G STAR RAM - it seems the lady in question has been awarded the MBE for her work on Holocaust education.

It looks like her father escaped twice from the Nazis whilst being shipped to internment camps.

She didn't lose her parents as was reported, but I'm not sure about her family members. They clearly had a torrid time though and her and her family were continually on the run and in hiding.

So she was talking about stuff/language that was happening during her lifetime.

I think we can agree now that she probably knows a teeny bit more about the holocaust than the people on this board, what do you think?

https://news.sky.com/story/holocaust-survivor-says-home-secretarys-words-and-actions-are-similar-to-those-of-nazi-germany-12786451

Which is what I said in the first place where I said something along the lines of 'unless she is an expert in the field'.

There may also be people on this board that have researched the Holocaust, if so, I'd treat their opinions exactly the same as this lady's.

If she was talking about language used during her lifetime then the comparison was not to what was being said in 1930s Germany?

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

I think what makes the argument a bit daft on here, is that if this was a discussion about Alan Sugar and his tweet with the picture of Corbyn next to Hitler then nearly everyone’s opinion would be reversed which completely sullies any free speech or impartiality argument. 

Some don’t like Lineker and that’s it. I’m not sure you can have a debate on the rights or wrongs on what he said because of it. This is feeling much like the Covid/Politics debates on here where it’s saying things for the sake of it and losing focus on any understanding what the BBC impartiality rules are meant to mean, the BBC managements handling of the case, Linekers phrasing (that I thought was very carefully put) and where our politics is at the minute. 

The other thing to acknowledge is that I think we are in a bit of what I call ‘silly season’ where something reaches the zeitgeist and we all argue over something we don’t really need it Wasn’t it Jimmy Carr’s joke last year? Give it a week and we will have sunnier weather, be outside more and Match of the Day saga will be at the back of peoples mind.

The division is down to Political, Financial and personnel lines, Right and left, Rich and Poor and whether you like GL or not, Not forgetting the £159 TV license.  

10 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

The 100m figure was a UN one. The problem with her quoting *that* figure, is that the majority (think it was somewhere between 70-80%) are displaced within their own country.

Then to use the billions figure was ludicrous.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

IS using billions so ludicrous? You don't think there are billions of people around the world who would rather be somewhere else given half the chance?  Just to be clear (which Braverman wasn't) they are not all coming here. 

30 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Yes but that was another BBC mess up loads of presenters were classed by BBC as freelancers only for HMRC to treat them as employees. Adrian Chiles got stung for example. 

This is not true on two counts.

Adrian Chiles won his case against HMRC. Took him 7 years of legal battles before HRMC agreed he was a freelancer. It's a very complicated area of law.

2nd it's not a BBC mess-up. It's applicable across all media. For example in Chiles case, he was mostly working for ITV during the period in question. Other celebs in HMRC sights over the last few years include Lorraine Kelly and Eamon Holmes for example. 

19 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

This is a good listen, especially some of the ideas on what we can do and also putting our British "crisis" into context. Rory Stewart is excellent at summing up complicated issues in a few sentances. I didn't really understand the Good Friday Agreement and the Northern Ireland Protocal issues until he explained them a couple of weeks ago...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0tubl2hSgaf27NU3KfH7WG?si=FJC6HkSQTQqwy1EtRrT2QQ&app_destination=copy-link

I listened to this on Saturday and thought it raised a good point that maybe isn’t really considered in this. Is that yes, some people are trying to get to the UK because of family but also it’s quicker to get work possibly in the black market (I’m gonna presume they meant by this general cash in hand work as well the more dangerous and dodgy trades). Rory Stewart, who’s view on global politics is largely very good but also a bit too gloomy, proposes that you all countries have to take in refugees that is the equivalent of  1% of your population every year and introduce ID cards so then it’s harder for those that come to enter the black market. I don’t think it’s a perfect policy, but the idea is that you have to deal with the crisis and regulate it rather than trying to wash your hands of it. People don’t want to cross in small boats but what we have in place now makes people feel like they have no other choice.

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

She was born in 1940 so what have been 4 or 5 years old by the time the war ended, you think she can clearly recall what was said years before she was even born? 

No, she will have read and watched the same things that anyone else has and therefore will be basing her opinion on exactly the same things that other people who have read and watched programmes about the holocaust would be doing. 

Where have I lashed out exactly?

You told a lie which I called you out on and you told me to grow up. Then you resorted to waffling on about Brexit as some sort of distraction.

I'm fine if you dont like my views, I think that's pretty clear, its you that needs to take a look at your own behaviour when responding to people with a different view to you.

Dr Evil Whatever GIF