Is "woke" confusing kids

Alph

I remember many many years ago having similar discussions about what should and shouldn't be acceptable. I called out all opposition to the more progressive positions as "slippery slope fallacies", but decades later so many of those so-called fallacies have come to pass. How can I not re-evaluate my position? And now here we are, "just let the burlesque performer twerk in your child's face, bigot!"

To be honest, I still believe these people have the right to expose their children to this, I just think they're shitty people who care more about being seen as progressive than what is right for their child.

There is nothing inherently sexual about drag queens. Drag queens should be allowed to do story time in school if the school thinks it is beneficial to the children and the drag queen wants to do it. However, some of the more, let's say, 'exotic' performances aren't particularly appropriate for school children. The videos I've seen on Twitter do include dancing which has a sexualised element to it. 

11 minutes ago, Anon said:

To be honest, I still believe these people have the right to expose their children to this

So do I. But I wouldn't have ever taken my kids to something like this - just my choice

Despite the usual suspects trying to interpret what I say as something else, all I really care about is that it's not against the law, the performers are CRB checked and that it's the parents right to choose what they expose their kids to. Anything other than believing that, is just an attempt at controlling other people's lives. Which I think we all agreed in the past was not a good thing

Just now, Stive Pesley said:

I'd agree - but there is one poster on here who can't mention them without saying they look like prostitutes ?

I mean, it depends on the drag act. I've been to a few drag shows, and it does vary quite widely. I hope schools would obviously be sensible in who they approach to perform, i.e., do their homework and make sure the performer is made aware of what is acceptable or not, if that's something they want to introduce as an activity to the school. 

59 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'd agree - but there is one poster on here who can't mention them without saying they look like prostitutes ?

You need to get a grip mate , the one poster you refer to in your childish accusations,( me obviously ) has stated he has no problem with drag acts in the appropriate setting , has said he found a drag queen who spoke on go news on the issue very sensitive and sensible and holds Paul ogrady in the utmost respect , a drag artist who used to work as a social worker and actually got into bother many years ago for getting in a fight with a particular parent who was treating a child badly,

tip ,,, stop painting yourself into corners then throwing round baseless accusations about people you know nothing about as a smoke screen 

Edited by Archied

10 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

I mean, it depends on the drag act. I've been to a few drag shows, and it does vary quite widely. I hope schools would obviously be sensible in who they approach to perform, i.e., do their homework and make sure the performer is made aware of what is acceptable or not, if that's something they want to introduce as an activity to the school. 

There should be no drag queens in school time my daughter from a very young age was terrified by anyone dressed up in any costumes including clowns, Easter  bunnies, cartoon characters, mascots etc. As a family we could never attend theme parks, kids parties with anyone dressed in costume. 
Protecting children should be the the 1st priority and only priority.

7 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I agree. As an example over 200 child asylum seekers have gone missing in the UK this year and no one seems bothered.  Makes you sick doesn't it?

There are plenty of people bothered, that is why alot of people don't want to take more in when we can't control the ones already here.

25 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I agree. As an example over 200 child asylum seekers have gone missing in the UK this year and no one seems bothered.  Makes you sick doesn't it?

Poor attempt at deflection trying to ignore the fact the priorities of schools should protecting children above anything else.

Thanks for laughing at my daughters phobias when she was young but don’t worry she is over it now is 23years old luckily school was a safe space. 

I might ask for her opinion about drag queens in schools what do you think her reply will be?

Edited by cstand

On 06/03/2023 at 20:24, cstand said:

There should be no drag queens in school time my daughter from a very young age was terrified by anyone dressed up in any costumes including clowns, Easter  bunnies, cartoon characters, mascots etc. As a family we could never attend theme parks, kids parties with anyone dressed in costume. 
Protecting children should be the the 1st priority and only priority.

She must have been petrified when we signed Claude Davis.

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Poor attempt at deflection trying to ignore the fact the priorities of schools should protecting children above anything else.

Thanks for laughing at my daughters phobias when she was young but don’t worry she is over it now is 23years old luckily school was a safe space. 

I might ask for her opinion about drag queens in schools what do you think her reply will be?

So she never got to see a pantomime? Or watch Mrs Brown's Boys?

Actually, now I think about it, there are some positives...

On 06/03/2023 at 20:24, cstand said:

For the record - I wasn't laughing at your daughter's phobia, I was laughing at you firm assertation that because your daughter was terrified by "anyone in a costume" then there should be no drag queens in school.

I know phobias are very real, and can be hard to manage - but to ban drag queens in all schools because 1 child has a phobia of costumes is surely a laughable thing? Apologies if you were being sarcastic and pretending to be a loony left cancel culture caricature ?

15 hours ago, cstand said:

image.thumb.png.b717dd442846e3eab8045619ac96c3c0.png

Interesting article

On the one hand she says 

“They were in Manhattan, living in the freest country you can imagine, and they’re saying they’re oppressed? It doesn’t even compute, I was sold for $200 as a sex slave in the 21st century under the same sky. And they say they’re oppressed because people can’t follow their pronouns they invent every day?”

“They need to make injustice out of thin air or a problem out of nowhere, because they haven’t experienced anything like what other people are facing in the world.”

but then later in the article tries to say that being "woke" is somehow the equivalent of the horrific totalitarian NK regime

So which is it? Being woke is nothing compared to living in NK or is the same?!

almost like she doesn't know her arse from her elbow 

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting article

On the one hand she says 

but then later in the article tries to say that being "woke" is somehow the equivalent of the horrific totalitarian NK regime

So which is it? Being woke is nothing compared to living in NK or is the same?!

almost like she doesn't know her arse from her elbow 

Can you translate that for me into non woke so everyone can understand?

Edited by cstand

You'd need a heart of stone not to laugh etc, but Claire Fox (Baroness Fox of Buckley) has been de-platformed by the Students Union of Royal Holloway College, University of London, where she was due to give a talk about cancel culture and free speech.

The laughs don't end there however, because former revolutionary-Marxist Claire has been cancelled, not because in the past she'd refused to condemn IRA terrorism, or because she was a Bosnian genocide denier, or even because she was a leading Brexit advocate, but because she merely re-tweeted a Ricky Gervais joke about Transwomen that was based on pointing out biological facts.

So now it appears that, among our supposedly brightest young people, pointing out that it's now possible for some women to have penises is more offensive than being an apologist for child-murderers.

Take me now Lord, take me now 😂

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

but because she merely re-tweeted a Ricky Gervais joke about Transwomen that was based on pointing out biological facts.

I think the word "joke" is doing some heavy lifting there, but go on. I'd have gone with "unfunny transphobic rant"

8 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think the word "joke" is doing some heavy lifting there, but go on. I'd have gone with "unfunny transphobic rant"

Humour is, of course, a matter of taste and opinion, but my post wasn't an invitation to get into that point specifically. It was that the Students Union booked Fox fully in the knowledge of her history and her politics, but decided that retweeting a 'joke' was intolerable whereas being an apologist for those who murdered of thousands of civilians was 'okey-dokey'.