Neville takes the money

Archied

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

Meanwhile Gary Neville after giving his itv sermon on the government treatment of nurses and other strikers and how people should have decent wages ( whilst actually meant to be doing football punditry after one of the best World Cup finals ) is advertising for staff at his hotel/ restaurant on minimum wage ,

you really couldn’t make this poo up,

so , beckham, lycett, Neville stay firmly in the virtue signalling hypocrites box for me??‍♂️

Though on reflection beckham comes out as the best of a bad bunch given that I can’t remember him being splashed all over the media giving sermons and moralising to all and sundry , though I am prepared to accept that he may have and I just haven’t seen it

3 hours ago, Archied said:

Turns out lycett has done paid for shows in uae including Qatar ,

what a principled hero , no way was he just raising his own profile???

I agree that he seems to have chosen a curious target in Beckham/Qatar if he himself has done paid gigs there, so I'm not sure how he'll deflect the criticism of hypocrisy. 

The claim about about him doing it to "raise his own profile" though - I don't get. He's a successful comedian,  celebrity/media figure so it's his job. Surely that's just what show business is? People doing stuff in the media. 

No one says "oh that Lionel Messi - he's just scoring goals to raise his own profile" do they?

Meanwhile Gary Neville after giving his itv sermon on the government treatment of nurses and other strikers and how people should have decent wages ( whilst actually meant to be doing football punditry after one of the best World Cup finals ) is advertising for staff at his hotel/ restaurant on minimum wage ,

you really couldn’t make this poo up,

so , beckham, lycett, Neville stay firmly in the virtue signalling hypocrites box for me??‍♂️

So you're saying Neville shouldn't pay minimum wage, low-skilled workers, minimum wage? I've worked in hotels, I wouldn't expect more than minimum wage! The fact that he paid them throughout the pandemic and had doctors/nurses staying at his hotel for free shouldn't go amiss, whilst paying his staff there and not furloughing them. 

Just seems a weird argument to blame someone for not paying staff above what the going rate is for that sector. You're as bad as the Tory MPs using whataboutism when it comes to this subject and equating it to the Nurses striking, who are doing a job that is skilled and deserves far more than minimum wage.

20 minutes ago, Srg said:

So you're saying Neville shouldn't pay minimum wage, low-skilled workers, minimum wage? I've worked in hotels, I wouldn't expect more than minimum wage! The fact that he paid them throughout the pandemic and had doctors/nurses staying at his hotel for free shouldn't go amiss, whilst paying his staff there and not furloughing them. 

Just seems a weird argument to blame someone for not paying staff above what the going rate is for that sector. You're as bad as the Tory MPs using whataboutism when it comes to this subject and equating it to the Nurses striking, who are doing a job that is skilled and deserves far more than minimum wage.

I don't get the dirty words of "minimum wage" well I do but it's a little silly, I've worked several jobs that paid minimum wage, Starting at £6.20p while delivering car parts, Filling sandwich machines, Cleaning, Caretaker at Derby University, Odd job man with a bowler hat ?

I enjoyed those jobs more than I did working at RR for £32k a year back in 2009, All part time, Days, Easy work, Weekends off, All I had to do was do it right, And of course there were the little extras that somehow ended up in the boot of my car ? 

21 minutes ago, SSD said:

I like Gary Neville the football pundit. Can't stand his political preaching on TV. Do your job and focus on the matches. Not that I disagree with his points, I just want to enjoy the escapism of watching a football match and get away from the political BS.

That's how I feel about all football. 

Life is heavy enough. Especially in this digital age with the info overloads we can't escape. 

So when you watch football and that's on a crusade.... Where can we just enjoy something meaningless anymore. 

6 hours ago, Srg said:

Watch his sermon, not the words of a man that wants to get away with paying people the least he can without breaking the law 

8 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I agree that he seems to have chosen a curious target in Beckham/Qatar if he himself has done paid gigs there, so I'm not sure how he'll deflect the criticism of hypocrisy. 

The claim about about him doing it to "raise his own profile" though - I don't get. He's a successful comedian,  celebrity/media figure so it's his job. Surely that's just what show business is? People doing stuff in the media. 

No one says "oh that Lionel Messi - he's just scoring goals to raise his own profile" do they?

Lionel Messi does not depend on media attention to make a living/ career, he plays football and scores goals for an employer that pays him to do that , your not gonna tell me that mildly successful celebrities like lycett are not always hungry for publicity are you? 
yep I suppose you are ,

Why not just stick your hands up and say that after all the rubbish you dished out to me over my opinion on lycett it actually turns out he is a bit of a hypocritical self serving txxt after all ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Lionel Messi does not depend on media attention to make a living/ career, he plays football and scores goals for an employer that pays him to do that , your not gonna tell me that mildly successful celebrities like lycett are not always hungry for publicity are you? 
yep I suppose you are ,

Why not just stick your hands up and say that after all the rubbish you dished out to me over my opinion on lycett it actually turns out he is a bit of a hypocritical self serving txxt after all ??‍♂️

The highlighted part could be the single most inaccurate statement ever made on this forum.

your not gonna tell me that mildly successful celebrities like lycett are not always hungry for publicity are you? 

No - it's a fair point. I'm just saying that ALL celebrities are hungry for publicity. It's what being a celebrity is all about!

I don't think I dished you any rubbish personally on this subject. The only people I mocked were those who claimed that they either didn't know he was gay so that can't possibly be why they have suddenly taken it upon themselves to bang on at length about why the don't like him. Or likewise - couldn't possibly have known he was gay because they didn't even know who he was. They just happen to feel very strongly about how much they don't like him. This person that they don't even know. ?

34 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

No - it's a fair point. I'm just saying that ALL celebrities are hungry for publicity. It's what being a celebrity is all about!

I don't think I dished you any rubbish personally on this subject. The only people I mocked were those who claimed that they either didn't know he was gay so that can't possibly be why they have suddenly taken it upon themselves to bang on at length about why the don't like him. Or likewise - couldn't possibly have known he was gay because they didn't even know who he was. They just happen to feel very strongly about how much they don't like him. This person that they don't even know. ?

Do you know putin?

I must have missed that argument. Never saw any posts regards him being disliked because he is gay , have they been removed?

personally I’ve got no time for the likes of lycett or Neville, they have very different sexuality to each other yet I look on them in the same way ?‍♂️,

as you say I don’t know either so really it’s not a case of liking them or not but I can very much dislike they’re behaviour and have zero respect for them or they’re bull poo

51 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Same applies to people who worship celebrities and defend them from any criticism even if it’s justified even though they have never met them or know them.

I never knew Lycett was a comedian until it was reported in the news someone complained about a joke he did at a gig.

Edited by cstand