Paul Warne appointed as Head Coach

Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Not you as well Angie 

Sorry, Curtains but it's not all one thing or another.

Managers have to make a call for the way they want to set up. Both my examples include playing someone outside of their preferred position. 

Liam would no doubt have tried to sign another fullback in January. Warne will probably need to sign another wingback. 

47 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Bird got a very similar assist versus Plymouth (although was a bit crap otherwise).

I nearly posted before the game about how obvious it was going to be that we’d score and possibly win and all of the “narrative” would be about how Warne has got us firing away from home. Despite as pointed out the performance was barely different to Charlton or Fleetwood and the only difference was a slice of luck. 

I don’t mind Warne, I find myself warming to him and I’m a bit more comfortable with him now I don’t feel he’s been brought in as a promotion or bust type manager. But it’s all very predictable. At least by stalls being put out so early, stubbornness will stop the same names starting to put pressure on when we lose a couple of games, which we will.

I think that's fair enough, the only thing I would mention is mindset. Would Max have made that 40-50 yard run from defence to set up Collins for his second under Liam and/or Wayne? I don't think he would simply because we never saw him do it. More likely we would have camped in for a 1-0 so he would have simply remained at DM.

But Warne clearly wanted his midfield to join the attack, so perhaps that element of difference proved to be crucial on the day? 

Just now, angieram said:

Sorry, Curtains but it's not all one thing or another.

Managers have to make a call for the way they want to set up. Both my examples include playing someone outside of their preferred position. 

Liam would no doubt have tried to sign another fullback in January. Warne will probably need to sign another wingback. 

Did we win Saturday or did I miss something !

21 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Fair enough it’s all about opinions.

But you were harsh on posters who want to think PW improvements have not helped to get an away goal and away win the first in 5. 
Personally I’m tired of defending Clowes for changing manager.  

That's because you took it upon yourself to count all questioning of the decision as criticism, and then defend criticism whether it was there or not! 

I'm not having a go at people who think Warne has made a difference though? I think he has myself.

I'm saying there's no need to criticise one person to praise another, rewrite history, ignore circumstance  or use blatant double standards in order to justify an opinion that the new thing is better than the old thing.

There's has been a hell of a lot of that about though.

Even just listening to a quick 5 minutes of Radio Derby after the game was enough to see what route the narrative was going down.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

We all are supposed to be wearing sackcloth and ashes, mourning the passing of our previous interim manager. We're not allowed to be excited by a new start because it might not work out. Get with the programme! ?

Oh I get it now. 
Bird didn’t play well lol on Saturday 
Hang on he was brilliant.

Did he get dragged off by Rosenior against Wycombe looking down in the mouth

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I think that's fair enough, the only thing I would mention is mindset. Would Max have made that 40-50 yard run from defence to set up Collins for his second under Liam and/or Wayne? I don't think he would simply because we never saw him do it. More likely we would have camped in for a 1-0 so he would have simply remained at DM.

But Warne clearly wanted his midfield to join the attack, so perhaps that element of difference proved to be crucial on the day? 

Yeah that is probably right and maybe we did need a fresh face as the longer the away run went on the more mindset would have been affected by the fear of it for want of a better term.

I just didn’t see anything in away performances under Rosenior that made me think the poor run would carry on once we’d got the one goal or win. Incredibly unlucky v both Charlton and Fleetwood. So it’s a bit frustrating to have the away record constantly mentioned as a stick to beat him with dating back to when he wasn’t even manager.

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

...I just didn’t see anything in away performances under Rosenior that made me think the poor run would carry on once we’d got the one goal or win. Incredibly unlucky v both Charlton and Fleetwood. So it’s a bit frustrating to have the away record constantly mentioned as a stick to beat him with dating back to when he wasn’t even manager.

Maybe the poor run wouldn't have carried on, but I bet the tippy tappy sideways possession at all costs style of football would. But maybe not.

14 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

That's because you took it upon yourself to count all questioning of the decision as criticism, and then defend criticism whether it was there or not! 

I'm not having a go at people who think Warne has made a difference though? I think he has myself.

I'm saying there's no need to criticise one person to praise another, rewrite history, ignore circumstance  or use blatant double standards in order to justify an opinion that the new thing is better than the old thing.

There's has been a hell of a lot of that about though.

Even just listening to a quick 5 minutes of Radio Derby after the game was enough to see what route the narrative was going down.

Let’s see how PW and LR match up managerial wise from now on at their respective clubs

I know who I am backing 

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Maybe the poor run wouldn't have carried on, but I bet the tippy tappy sideways possession at all costs style of football would. But maybe not.

3rd most shots per game (2nd most inside the box, 5th most inside the 6 yard box), 5th most shots on target per game, most dribbles per game, 2nd most through balls per game, 2nd most crosses per game.

Certainly doesn’t seem very tippy tappy but I agree we tended to have a lot of possession. Maybe the possession allowed us to be amongst the best teams in the league in all of those metrics.

5 minutes ago, nottingram said:

3rd most shots per game (2nd most inside the box, 5th most inside the 6 yard box), 5th most shots on target per game, most dribbles per game, 2nd most through balls per game, 2nd most crosses per game.

Certainly doesn’t seem very tippy tappy but I agree we tended to have a lot of possession. Maybe the possession allowed us to be amongst the best teams in the league in all of those metrics.

Metrics. And maybe not if you looked at the table. ?

Some people liked his football and some didn't. As has been said he's gone.

I think sometimes people want the Hollywood ending and can't see past that. Of course us getting promoted and then to the prem and then winning the champions league whilst under LR was the dream, its a nice story. 

However, we were the only team in the EFL not to score an away goal and every victory was only by a 1 goal margin. Did LR do a good job and was unfairly booted out? Arguably so, but the man with the money decided that Warne was a better way forward and only time will tell whether its a good decision or not. 

But what i think can't be argued is that to an alien if they was to look at which option had the better chance of succeeding purely looking on paper then the answer would have to be Warne. 

I'm sure LR will get a couple of chances as the main man at other clubs and if he does well, good for him and good for the posters on here that are adamant that he was the messiah. But the way some have queried Warne and defended LR with their lives is a little odd in my opinion. That said this is a forum which means others will have different opinions to mine, so as you were.

21 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I'm sure LR will get a couple of chances as the main man at other clubs and if he does well, good for him and good for the posters on here that are adamant that he was the messiah. But the way some have queried Warne and defended LR with their lives is a little odd in my opinion. That said this is a forum which means others will have different opinions to mine, so as you were.

Literally nobody has done that.

I think you'd struggle to find more than a handful of people who aren't now happy with Warne being appointed, don't agree with the logic or aren't supportive of what he wants to do, and that'd likely only be via an anonymous poll.

Edited by Kokosnuss

I was disappointed that LR was not given the job on a permanent basis, and in the context of the club, he wasn’t doing a bad job at all really. However, we move on with Warne and I hope he does equally well or better (although given the short time he was in charge we’ll never know what he might’ve achieved).

Obviously great to win his first game in charge; great to get our first away goals and win this season. But some of the stuff coming out both before and after the game was a bit cringe worthy wasn’t it? It’s one game. I also agree that it’s not really fair to suggest he’s come in and turned something around (he even said as much himself).  So, in that regard, I think there has been a bit of a naff narrative.  

Perhaps we should see where we are in another 10 games before deciding Warne is the ‘messiah’ himself, though (that seems to be the threshold).

Edited by LazloW