Cambridge away

Ilkestonramitb

Cambridge United (Away)

The first time we ever played them was 16th August 1980 in League Division Two (The Championship in old money).

It was the first game of the season after relegation from Division One at the end of the previous season.

Thousands of Derby fans travelled to Cambridge, I think officially it was 3,000 but it seemed as if many more made the journey. Maybe not all of them got into the Abbey Stadium...

My personal journey and one of my most vivid memories went something like this.

7 of us left Uttoxeter at 7am in a Ford Anglia van driven by a bloke who was a builder and became my best man at my wedding three years later. By the time we were on the A50 going toward Sudbury the first cans and bottles were open, cigarettes (mostly Players No.6) were being smoked, and that was just the driver.

We got somewhere near Leicester and had to stop for petrol, the driver got dogs abuse because we'd paid up front whilst in the pub the night before. He protested that he had filled up but we didn't believe him. We had to stop again somewhere near Thrapston on the A14, this time we had a look and the petrol tank was leaking!

We stopped at a road side pub soon after that was full of Derby fans, we got our beers and sat outside with loads of others. We saw a large van in the car park and witnessed some lads lifting one of the beer garden bench tables into the van. These lads explained there was 15 of them and no seats in the back, seemed reasonable at the time. A couple of them tried to put the swing from the kids play area in as well but they were thwarted in their endeavours by the others.

As we drove away from the pub we passed a large gentleman riding one of those bikes with a shopping basket on the front through this quiet village waving a Derby scarf above his head singing "we'll be back in "81".

On arrival at Cambridge, the car park was a field next to the ground. People were saying the pubs were full or not letting Derby fans in so we settled down on the grass, luckily we had more beer than petrol, the sun was out so a couple went off to a shop for sandwiches and pasties while we enjoyed the atmosphere. 

The van we saw earlier turned up and the lads unloaded the pub table, complete with umbrella and the bloke on the bike, still singing "we'll be back in 81".

It was surreal but absolutely hilarious, the whole field was in great humour. As kick off time approached, people were packing up preparing to enter the ground when someone thought it would be good craic to open a gate adjacent to the field and let 30 odd cows stroll into the car park. Derby fans were laughing and trying to herd them onto the road, one lad even tried to lead one toward the ground but the cow was having none of it.

The police and stewards didn't know what to do, they were trying to control the cows while Derby fans were bunking into the stadium. Total chaos.

The away end was as full as an egg, spilling over onto the touchline at times, we lost 3-0, welcome to relegation.

We had a drink with a minibus full of Ilson lads somewhere on the way back, when we left the pub a couple of them were taking the one arm bandit apart for the cash while the rest were lined up at the bar shielding the activity. Bad lads from Ilson back then!

On the drive back we had to fill up the Anglia van twice more due to the petrol leak before arriving on the outskirts of Nottingham.

We all needed the toilet and a drink so we pulled into a place called, I think,  the Nottingham Knight. It was a hotel bar, quite posh for the time until us lot piled in, we sat in this lobby type space with our beers when someone noticed a glass display cabinet with photos of the gumps European Cup team in it. A Doc Marten went straight through the cabinet followed by outrage from the locals and no effs given by us. A bit of a brawl ensued in the car park before our battered, leaking, tired Anglia van somehow got us away and back home without us getting a good kicking or arrested.

I hope everyone going to Cambridge on Saturday has an equally memorable day out. ?

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Cambridge United (Away)

The first time we ever played them was 16th August 1980 in League Division Two (The Championship in old money).

It was the first game of the season after relegation from Division One at the end of the previous season.

Thousands of Derby fans travelled to Cambridge, I think officially it was 3,000 but it seemed as if many more made the journey. Maybe not all of them got into the Abbey Stadium...

7 of us left Uttoxeter at 7am in a Ford Anglia van driven by a bloke who was a builder and became my best man at my wedding three years later. By the time we were on the A50 going toward Sudbury the first cans and bottles were open, cigarettes (mostly Players No.6) were being smoked, and that was just the driver.

We got somewhere near Leicester and had to stop for petrol, the driver got dogs abuse because we'd paid up front whilst in the pub the night before. He protested that he had filled up but we didn't believe him. We had to stop again somewhere near Thrapston on the A14, this time we had a look and the petrol tank was leaking!

We stopped at a road side pub soon after that was full of Derby fans, we got our beers and sat outside with loads of others. We saw a large van in the car park and witnessed some lads lifting one of the beer garden bench tables into the van. These lads explained there was 15 of them and no seats in the back, seemed reasonable at the time. A couple of them tried to put the swing from the kids play area in as well but they were thwarted in their endeavours by the others.

As we drove away from the pub we passed a large gentleman riding one of those bikes with a shopping basket on the front through this quiet village waving a Derby scarf above his head singing "we'll be back in "81".

On arrival at Cambridge, the car park was a field next to the ground. People were saying the pubs were full or not letting Derby fans in so we settled down on the grass, luckily we had more beer than petrol, the sun was out so a couple went off to a shop for sandwiches and pasties while we enjoyed the atmosphere. 

The van we saw earlier turned up and the lads unloaded the pub table, complete with umbrella and the bloke on the bike, still singing "we'll be back in 81".

It was surreal but absolutely hilarious, the whole field was in great humour. As kick off time approached, people were packing up preparing to enter the ground when someone thought it would be good craic to open a gate adjacent to the field and let 30 odd cows stroll into the car park. Derby fans were laughing and trying to herd them onto the road, one lad even tried to lead one toward the ground but the cow was having none of it.

The police and stewards didn't know what to do, they were trying to control the cows while Derby fans were bunking into the stadium. Total chaos.

The away end was as full as an egg, spilling over onto the touchline at times, we lost 3-0, welcome to relegation.

We had a drink with a minibus full of Ilson lads somewhere on the way back, when we left the pub a couple of them were taking the one arm bandit apart for the cash while the rest were lined up at the bar shielding the activity. Bad lads from Ilson back then!

On the drive back we had to fill up the Anglia van twice more due to the petrol leak before arriving on the outskirts of Nottingham.

We all needed the toilet and a drink so we pulled into a place called, I think,  the Nottingham Knight. It was a hotel bar, quite posh for the time until us lot piled in, we sat in this lobby type space with our beers when someone noticed a glass display cabinet with photos of the gumps European Cup team in it. A Doc Marten went straight through the cabinet followed by outrage from the locals and no effs given by us. A bit of a brawl ensued in the car park before our battered, leaking, tired Anglia van somehow got us away and back home without us getting a good kicking or arrested.

I hope everyone going to Cambridge on Saturday has an equally memorable day out. ?

A fine upstanding example to all the young ones out there on how to succeed in life and make a responsible career  in Forum Moderation ?

PS I’m told gu gum exhaust putty was quite good for fuel tak leaks 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Cambridge United (Away)

Where's the ? (wow) reaction when you want it? Hilarious to read, glad I wasn't there! ??

On 16/09/2022 at 18:09, Jortat said:

On the Cambridge site the south Habbin area that is usually used for away fans when they sell out has been opened for home fans to buy tickets. So anyone hoping for Derby to get an extra allocation looks like to be disappointed ( myself included)

It must be Cambridge’s big day out!

3 hours ago, jono said:

I mixing my Halfords ? , never a good thing !

some of the stuff they sold for body repairs, rust “removal” .. paint on under seal, stick on heated rear windows heh heh - memories ?

Stick on heated rear windows! Brilliant.  Then you had to be careful wiping the window forever afterwards in case you damaged the element...

Try telling that to the kids of today!

14 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Cambridge United (Away)

I know mate… but try telling that to the kids of today… etc… etc…

?

11 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

Feu Orange air freashners still going

Can you still get furry steering wheel covers ?  ?

My fav was the wood effect fablon covered plywood centre console for my Mini. Cut the wobbly hole in it with a jigsaw - for my super cool binatone cassette player with a stunning 5w per channel .. boom box pah ! 

Think this one belongs in the pub before I forget about footy ?

Edited by jono

20 minutes ago, StevenageRam said:

Where is everyone going for pre match drinks?

No one's mentioned anything about pubs for this game.

We're here already, staying over Friday and Saturday.

In the Premier Inn on Newmarket Road, not far from ground.

Will be walking round town this morning, if see any rams will join for a cheeky pint.

Going to give a pub called The Corner House a try before kick off, it's on Newmarket Road, opposite premier inn. 

It's a nice sunny morning, no need for the big coats.

COYR 

3 minutes ago, S75 Ram said:

Will be walking round town this morning, if see any rams will join for a cheeky pint.

Going to give a pub called The Corner House a try before kick off, it's on Newmarket Road, opposite premier inn. 

COYR 

Have a great day and bring us some points back!

30 minutes ago, S75 Ram said:

COYR 

25 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Have a great day and bring us some points back!

“Three cheeky points please, squire”.