Freedom of Speech

Day

1 hour ago, PistoldPete said:

The case decided last week the ex presenter Belfield. He had 300,000 followers on YouTube, spreading inflammatory lies about random people in the media.

That was dangerous as one of his victims nearly killed himself and others may have been at risk because of Belfield inciting his followers with these lies. 

and who can say what effect calling politician evil or scum and the like can have in inciting people to do terrible things.

we have had two political assassinations in recent memory here in moderate Uk.

Also the Molly Russell Case making the news today. We'll likely find out later this afternoon exactly what was said to her online.

57 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Also the Molly Russell Case making the news today. We'll likely find out later this afternoon exactly what was said to her online.

As the NSPCC guy said earlier "For the first time we will see big tech representatives questioned under oath about how their products may have contributed to the death of a child."

The owners of the platform need to assume accountability for how their platforms are used.  Same as the rules on here. If the forum was an unmoderated free-for-all and something terrible happened as a result then I'm sure people would point the finger of blame at the person who enabled it

The sad thing is that when these Tech Giants do try and take steps to police racism, homophobia, misogyny etc- we get told that it's because that's a left-wing conspiracy ? 

On 19/09/2022 at 15:24, G STAR RAM said:

Examples?

A teacher who refused to call a pupil they because the teacher was a Christian. He lost his job and was threatened with jail. What makes one person's beliefs trump another person's. ? 

Edited by Sinistra ram rousse
Spelling

9 hours ago, Anon said:

Outside of the old shouting "fire" in a crowded theatre and things like death threats, can you give me an example of something it's wrong and dangerous to say? I think "dangerous speech" is extremely subjective. If you're ok to start imposing limits on that speech you need to consider very carefully who will be deciding what is supposedly wrong and dangerous.

I know what your saying and I have been a supporter of freedom of speech all my life but as I get older I do believe there are things that are wrong to say and dangerous , you ask for an example , ok , we have an issue with Pakistani grooming gangs that has been going on for a long time , should I be free to say that there is a problem will all Pakistani s in this country and that they should not allow any more Pakistani s into the country as the cultures do not mix ,? To my mind no I shouldn’t , I should be able to say there is an issue with some Pakistani men that needs looking at , being openly talked about and trying to fix ,

now you will find the extremists on both sides of that speech issue making it bloody nigh on impossible to have a positive approach to the issue ,

I could list lots and lots of examples like the above ,

as a young man I blindly believed you should be able to say anything , now I’m older and wiser I see that really you can’t and shouldn’t ,

who decides ? We’ll really the majority of people are decent and sensible , the majority wins out in the end 

32 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

A teacher who refused to call a pupil they because the teacher was a Christian. He lost his job and was threatened with jail. What makes one person's beliefs trump another person's. ? 

He was suspended on full pay, pending investigation (if we are talking about the same case) but jailed later when he refused to stay away from the school. That's not freedom of speech, that's failing to obey an order.

36 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

He was suspended on full pay, pending investigation (if we are talking about the same case) but jailed later when he refused to stay away from the school. That's not freedom of speech, that's failing to obey an order.

Never let the truth get in the way of a "good" story.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

True but did he need suspending for refusing to call someone they? I think that in itself is an issue about freedom of speech.

4 minutes ago, Sinistra ram rousse said:

True but did he need suspending for refusing to call someone they? I think that in itself is an issue about freedom of speech.

If a teacher can't treat another human being with dignity and understanding then, yes I'd say that there is a fairly strong case for his employer taking whatever action they see fit. Which is their right as an employer after all

Just now, Sinistra ram rousse said:

Parts are accurate actually and parts are omitted.

He was suspended after confronting the principal at a public event.

As an aside, one wonders what part of the teachings of Christ transgenderism runs contrary to.

If he wasn't suspended for his polemic on homosexuality in 2020, what makes you think he was suspended for refusing to use appropriate pronouns?

19 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

If a teacher can't treat another human being with dignity and understanding then, yes I'd say that there is a fairly strong case for his employer taking whatever action they see fit. Which is their right as an employer after all

Totally disagree , why is it a case of dignity? I would probably go along with the request to call someone they if they wanted that but I would not force or want anybody to be forced into calling me they if I chose that as my pronoun ,

why the hell can’t people just be who they are ,live as they wish ( obviously within reason) and let others live as they choose ,

I will obviously get slated here but to me someone born as a man can never be a woman and visa versa , it would not stop me treating them as such and they are free to live as such but the bit that gets me is what’s wrong with being a trans woman/ man ? Why can you not feel proud to be trans person ?
We are all different , be proud to be who you are , There in lies happiness 

Edited by Archied

6 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He was suspended after confronting the principal at a public event.

As an aside, one wonders what part of the teachings of Christ transgenderism runs contrary to.

If he wasn't suspended for his polemic on homosexuality in 2020, what makes you think he was suspended for refusing to use appropriate pronouns?

Gosh you have been busy researching this. I am impressed. I bow down and out to your greater knowledge.

5 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

The sad thing is that when these Tech Giants do try and take steps to police racism, homophobia, misogyny etc- we get told that it's because that's a left-wing conspiracy ? 

By who?

Is this like the other week when everyone was supposedly fuming about Joe Lycett but nobody could actually find anyone who was fuming about it at all?

I don't think there is any left wing conspiracy but the policing definitely seems to favour left wing causes.

11 minutes ago, Archied said:

Totally disagree , why is it a case of dignity? I would probably go along with the request to call someone they if they wanted that but I would not force or want anybody to be forced into calling me they if I chose that as my pronoun ,

why the hell can’t people just be who they are ,live as they wish ( obviously within reason) and let others live as they choose ,

I will obviously get slated here but to me someone born as a man can never be a woman and visa versa , it would not stop me treating them as such and they are free to live as such but the bit that gets me is what’s wrong with being a trans woman/ man ? Why can you not feel proud to be trans person ?
We are all different , be proud to be who you are , There in lies happiness 

You're so close to getting it. You're saying some good tolerant and respectful stuff there, so I don't know why you can't just take that last step and realise that it doesn't hurt you at all to respect people fully in the way that they prefer

Full disclosure, I have a non-binary member of my close family and they prefer the pronoun "they" - but they realise it's hard for us all to get it right all the time because we've had 25+ years of calling them "her". They don't kick off if we get it wrong. They don't even mention it, as long as we try. The problem comes when people use the wrong pronoun deliberately and to be antagonistic. Why would someone do that? It's just mean-spirited and horrible

For that behaviour to come from a teacher is pretty unforgivable. They are the people we entrust to educate our children 

18 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

I won't tag him as I know he's fed up of saying it, but there is a regular poster who says it all the time

Not sure what your original point was then?

Are you suggesting one poster of DCFCFans forum influences how these things are policed?

Do you not seen any bias in the way these things are policed?

Do you think right extremists are treated the same as left wing extremists?

Just as an example do you think if Tommy Robinson had made comments comparable to those by Trevor Sinclair that the reaction would have been the same?