8th September 1888 - 134 years ago

Ellafella

Couldn't let this day pass without reminding us...it all began today...134 years ago.

On this day 134 years ago, Derby County travelled to Pikes Lane, Bolton. They travelled by train. They were 15 minutes late and so kick-off was delayed. The delay unsettled the team because they fell 0-3 behind quickly but rallied after the break to win 6-3. Derby's goals came from George Bakewell (2), Lewis Cooper (2) and 'Lol' Plackett (2). Derby had poached all of those players from local rivals.     

Ten of the twelve teams took part in the first ever round of Championship fixtures on Saturday, 8 September 1888 and although no league table was published in any of the newspapers of the time West Bromwich Albion would have been the very first table toppers. By modern-day calculations, Derby County would have been the first ever table toppers because of their superior goal difference which was +3 after the first game. Albion won 2–0 at Stoke in front of 4,500 spectators and would have headed Preston North End, Derby County and Everton by virtue of an infinite goal average as they kept a clean sheet. Goal Average was the number of goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded. Goal Average was used to separate teams who were tied on points at that time. Preston defeated Burnley 5–2, Derby were 6–3 winners at Bolton and Everton secured the points in a 2–1 victory over Accrington. Aston Villa defender Gershom Cox was thought to have earned the distinction of scoring the first ever league goal with an unfortunate own goal in a 1–1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fred Dewhurst opening the scoring minutes later at Preston with the first intentional goal. However the post-match reports of relative kick-off times show most games were delayed allowing for crowds to assemble. A goal by England and Bolton winger Kenny Davenport 2 minutes into the match against Derby County was scored comfortably before any other and is now regarded as the first ever football league goal. 

To put it all in context, as the Derby Team would have been arriving back at Derby station later that evening, the London newspapers would have also been arriving by train in Derby and would have been detailing how earlier that morning the body of Annie Chapman was discovered in Whitechapel, London. She was the 2nd victim of Jack the Ripper. 

The picture below shows Pikes Lane Bolton and then the shirt Derby County wore that day, thanks to @loweman2for re-producing such a brilliant and quality item. 

I will raise a glass tonight in celebration.  

pikes lane first game.jpg

first rams shirt.jpg

2 minutes ago, hiltonram said:

That is incredible Ellafella, if that is a picture of the first ever league game to kick off in world football and that document must be worth a fortune. It is amazing that these exist. It is great to know Derby County kicked off the first ever league game in history.

I’m so glad you agree @hiltonram. It fills me with absolute wonder too. I though do need to caveat - the picture is Pikes Lane but not confirmed it’s a pic from the Bolton v Derby game. It could be …I suspect more research may narrow it down. BUT…without doubt Derby County was right a the very heart of the start of the Football League despite being formed just 4 years prior. Also played the game in which the first ever goal was scored {by Davenport for Bolton} and was top of the League at 5pm on the first Saturday of the Football League {by modern standards of goal difference} although technically no table was produced { “ points” weren’t invented until a few weeks later}. Puts into total perspective the near loss into liquidation of Derby County last year. Derby County was right at the very eye of the entire system from the get-go. 
The Committee Minutes to me are priceless - just look at the names - Morley, Bakewell, Williamson, Plackett. The team was picked by the Committee a week or so before in the presence of some of the players themselves …can you imagine the scene at the Bell Hotel…

William Morley: I think we need Haydn [Morley] at the defence; But what about Campbell?

Mr Leech: ah, we’ve had a note saying “ can’t come”.

Willliam Morley [turns to Haydn] “ Right son, you’re playing!”. 

Love it. 

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I’m so glad you agree @hiltonram. It fills me with absolute wonder too. I though do need to caveat - the picture is Pikes Lane but not confirmed it’s a pic from the Bolton v Derby game. It could be …I suspect more research may narrow it down. BUT…without doubt Derby County was right a the very heart of the start of the Football League despite being formed just 4 years prior. Also played the game in which the first ever goal was scored {by Davenport for Bolton} and was top of the League at 5pm on the first Saturday of the Football League {by modern standards of goal difference} although technically no table was produced { “ points” weren’t invented until a few weeks later}. Puts into total perspective the near loss into liquidation of Derby County last year. Derby County was right at the very eye of the entire system from the get-go. 
The Committee Minutes to me are priceless - just look at the names - Morley, Bakewell, Williamson, Plackett. The team was picked by the Committee a week or so before in the presence of some of the players themselves …can you imagine the scene at the Bell Hotel…

William Morley: I think we need Haydn [Morley] at the defence; But what about Campbell?

Mr Leech: ah, we’ve had a note saying “ can’t come”.

Willliam Morley [turns to Haydn] “ Right son, you’re playing!”. 

Love it. 

But was Bakewell wasted at Right Full back when he could be playing at Right half back ? 

On 08/09/2022 at 18:21, Ellafella said:

Couldn't let this day pass without reminding us...it all began today...134 years ago.

On this day 134 years ago, Derby County travelled to Pikes Lane, Bolton. They travelled by train. They were 15 minutes late and so kick-off was delayed. The delay unsettled the team because they fell 0-3 behind quickly but rallied after the break to win 6-3. Derby's goals came from George Bakewell (2), Lewis Cooper (2) and 'Lol' Plackett (2). Derby had poached all of those players from local rivals.     

Ten of the twelve teams took part in the first ever round of Championship fixtures on Saturday, 8 September 1888 and although no league table was published in any of the newspapers of the time West Bromwich Albion would have been the very first table toppers. By modern-day calculations, Derby County would have been the first ever table toppers because of their superior goal difference which was +3 after the first game. Albion won 2–0 at Stoke in front of 4,500 spectators and would have headed Preston North End, Derby County and Everton by virtue of an infinite goal average as they kept a clean sheet. Goal Average was the number of goals scored divided by the number of goals conceded. Goal Average was used to separate teams who were tied on points at that time. Preston defeated Burnley 5–2, Derby were 6–3 winners at Bolton and Everton secured the points in a 2–1 victory over Accrington. Aston Villa defender Gershom Cox was thought to have earned the distinction of scoring the first ever league goal with an unfortunate own goal in a 1–1 draw with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Fred Dewhurst opening the scoring minutes later at Preston with the first intentional goal. However the post-match reports of relative kick-off times show most games were delayed allowing for crowds to assemble. A goal by England and Bolton winger Kenny Davenport 2 minutes into the match against Derby County was scored comfortably before any other and is now regarded as the first ever football league goal. 

To put it all in context, as the Derby Team would have been arriving back at Derby station later that evening, the London newspapers would have also been arriving by train in Derby and would have been detailing how earlier that morning the body of Annie Chapman was discovered in Whitechapel, London. She was the 2nd victim of Jack the Ripper. 

The picture below shows Pikes Lane Bolton and then the shirt Derby County wore that day, thanks to @loweman2for re-producing such a brilliant and quality item. 

I will raise a glass tonight in celebration.  

pikes lane first game.jpg

first rams shirt.jpg

Some sterling work there by young @Ellafella great to see ! One very small point just so we have it correct and I know that he knows this, the shirt above is the very first shirt that we wore in 1884 at our birth, the very first league shirt worn in 1888 was the brown and amber with blue sleeves.

827CD925-8272-4314-B638-E98A76A4AC2B.jpeg

46E14E88-8C8B-42A1-BC7A-F2E43F0BC31B.jpeg

20 hours ago, hiltonram said:

Ellafella, they should have one of those blue plaques put up at the bell to commemorate the forming of DCFC, do you know which room/bar was used for these historic events?

It was the gentleman’s bar at the back of the hotel, down the courtyard, I actually took all of the 1880s shirts down there and we did some Rams Heritage Trust photos, back at the official birthplace where the decisions were made !

7880D1A1-D014-4A5A-96FA-E2E9F713E43C.jpeg

54FF84F5-EC9F-4747-BEB9-D25D828D3C51.jpeg

4CAA5D75-C6E5-4720-9830-18BA7C86D806.jpeg

CA804E66-2CAB-4521-B73C-864E6210BE81.jpeg

1 hour ago, loweman2 said:

It was the gentleman’s bar at the back of the hotel, down the courtyard, I actually took all of the 1880s shirts down there and we did some Rams Heritage Trust photos, back at the official birthplace where the decisions were made !

7880D1A1-D014-4A5A-96FA-E2E9F713E43C.jpeg

54FF84F5-EC9F-4747-BEB9-D25D828D3C51.jpeg

4CAA5D75-C6E5-4720-9830-18BA7C86D806.jpeg

CA804E66-2CAB-4521-B73C-864E6210BE81.jpeg

Thanks loweman, I have been in there a few times. The best decisions ever were made in that bar. 

With cancellations due to the Queens funeral and the international break, whoever we play our next game against will now be our 5000 league game. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if any of the other teams that played that day have already reached the milestone of 5000 league games.

On 09/09/2022 at 09:18, Ellafella said:

I love this stuff. I am sure someone might challenge it but it’s a great bit of Bragg g rights. Not only founder members but first kick of first match. It’s legend.?

My Favourite, though not DCFC, is a certain Fred Geary who in 1891 in a North V South Game in Nottingham was the the first player to “hit the back of the net” Happened while Mr Brodies nets were first used in a a Football Association sanctioned and regulated game. I wonder what Mr Brodie would have thought of VAR !