Transfers: Changing World

Birdyabroad

It is transfer deadline today and I, like many on here, would like to see a couple of signings as I think that the squad is thin in places.

The reality is that we may only see us linked with other teams academy prospects, which we will (hopefully) take on loan.

There seems to be some debate as to whether this is a good or bad thing and I think that arguments on both sides make sense, I.e., loaning a young starlet from Liverpool/Chelsea who wants some first team football may make us stronger (I.e., Wilson and Tomori). On the other hand, if they do well, then we are only increasing their value to Chelsea as they are unlikely to sign for us and will go to a higher bidder (I.e., Wilson and Tomori).

However, what the latter argument does not take into account is how the world around us seems to be changing; we are moving from a nation of 'owners' to a nation of 'renters'. I have some examples:

We no longer own music/CD's/Vinyl like we used to. Going out and physically buying records has been replaced by a subscription model, such as Spotify/Apple Music, where we 'rent' millions of songs at our finger tips for a monthly fee. A similar thing is happening with films and DVD's, where instead of physically owning DVD's, we pay monthly subscriptions to SKY/Netflix, etc, and use these as our film library. Anyone who has wandered into a HMV recently will notice how they as a business have had to adapt to this cultural shift, they are reducing the amount of space where they stock DVD's and CD's and are replacing these with t-shirts, toys, books, novelty items and even Japanese drinks and chocolates.

I teach in a local FE College and train students how to use the Adobe suite (Photoshop, After Effects, etc). One upon a time you had to buy these programmes outright and they could cost anywhere between £800-£1,200 per programme, which was far too expensive for students or people starting out. Now Adobe have changed their ownership model and, instead, you can pay anything between £25 to £55 per months to use all of the programmes - Renting instead of owning.

This model of ownership is not just specific to media and computing. For example, many motorists are heading down the HP route nowadays, my wife recently paid a small deposit for her car and now pays monthly, in 4 years she will have a few options, one of which will be to hand the car back and start the process again with a brand new car. Again, we as a nation are increasingly less owning our cars and, in effect, 'renting' them.

Therefore, back on topic, I cannot help thinking that this 'rental' model might be the way that things are going, especially for clubs in Div 1. Don't get me wrong, I love to see a youngster, like Sibley and Cashin, come through our academy ranks and commit their future to the club. 

However, I am also willing to accept that, similar to other businesses, we may all have to adapt to the fact that we may be an attractive proposition for youngsters in Premier League/High-end Championship academies, given our facilities and stature in the game. Yes, this will mean that we may have some 'mercenary' players with no links to the club and we may only see them for one year, but it also means that we are not saddled with an average player on a long team contract (See many of our signings over the last 10 years) and, just maybe, there could be some long term potential if the loan works out well for both parties. 

Going back to someone such as Tomori, I would argue that Tennyson got it right when he said 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all', and no, this does not mean that I was in love with Tomori, just that I was glad to see him in a Derby shirt for one season.

So whoever comes in on loan today, if any, let's not worry about if they are taking another players shirt or stopping our own academy products, if they are good enough then they'll be in the first team and if they do go back to their parent club and make them a tidy profit, at least we will have benefit from the good football they would have played here.

Just now, Birdyabroad said:

It is transfer deadline today and I, like many on here, would like to see a couple of signings as I think that the squad is thin in places.

The reality is that we may only see us linked with other teams academy prospects, which we will (hopefully) take on loan.

There seems to be some debate as to whether this is a good or bad thing and I think that arguments on both sides make sense, I.e., loaning a young starlet from Liverpool/Chelsea who wants some first team football may make us stronger (I.e., Wilson and Tomori). On the other hand, if they do well, then we are only increasing their value to Chelsea as they are unlikely to sign for us and will go to a higher bidder (I.e., Wilson and Tomori).

However, what the latter argument does not take into account is how the world around us seems to be changing; we are moving from a nation of 'owners' to a nation of 'renters'. I have some examples:

We no longer own music/CD's/Vinyl like we used to. Going out and physically buying records has been replaced by a subscription model, such as Spotify/Apple Music, where we 'rent' millions of songs at our finger tips for a monthly fee. A similar thing is happening with films and DVD's, where instead of physically owning DVD's, we pay monthly subscriptions to SKY/Netflix, etc, and use these as our film library. Anyone who has wandered into a HMV recently will notice how they as a business have had to adapt to this cultural shift, they are reducing the amount of space where they stock DVD's and CD's and are replacing these with t-shirts, toys, books, novelty items and even Japanese drinks and chocolates.

I teach in a local FE College and train students how to use the Adobe suite (Photoshop, After Effects, etc). One upon a time you had to buy these programmes outright and they could cost anywhere between £800-£1,200 per programme, which was far too expensive for students or people starting out. Now Adobe have changed their ownership model and, instead, you can pay anything between £25 to £55 per months to use all of the programmes - Renting instead of owning.

This model of ownership is not just specific to media and computing. For example, many motorists are heading down the HP route nowadays, my wife recently paid a small deposit for her car and now pays monthly, in 4 years she will have a few options, one of which will be to hand the car back and start the process again with a brand new car. Again, we as a nation are increasingly less owning our cars and, in effect, 'renting' them.

Therefore, back on topic, I cannot help thinking that this 'rental' model might be the way that things are going, especially for clubs in Div 1. Don't get me wrong, I love to see a youngster, like Sibley and Cashin, come through our academy ranks and commit their future to the club. 

However, I am also willing to accept that, similar to other businesses, we may all have to adapt to the fact that we may be an attractive proposition for youngsters in Premier League/High-end Championship academies, given our facilities and stature in the game. Yes, this will mean that we may have some 'mercenary' players with no links to the club and we may only see them for one year, but it also means that we are not saddled with an average player on a long team contract (See many of our signings over the last 10 years) and, just maybe, there could be some long term potential if the loan works out well for both parties. 

Going back to someone such as Tomori, I would argue that Tennyson got it right when he said 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all', and no, this does not mean that I was in love with Tomori, just that I was glad to see him in a Derby shirt for one season.

So whoever comes in on loan today, if any, let's not worry about if they are taking another players shirt or stopping our own academy products, if they are good enough then they'll be in the first team and if they do go back to their parent club and make them a tidy profit, at least we will have benefit from the good football they would have played here.

Vinyl has made a big comeback , don’t go to HMV try a local independent shop like BPM in Derby 

24 minutes ago, Birdyabroad said:

I own my house outright

I own my car outright 

I would like to rent the wife out though 

3 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

And all the more so, given the trend in the PL for players to sign up for just 2 years. So even if you own a player they could be gone in the blink of an eye. 

3 hours ago, Birdyabroad said:

The reality is that we may only see us linked with other teams academy prospects, which we will (hopefully) take on loan...

So all that for 'loans can be a good thing'? FFS!