Being in the home end at away games

Jimbo Ram

My mate has just got me a home ticket for the Shrewsbury away game, just down the road for me. Got me thinking of previous times I have been in the home end at ? away games. The first one was my first game, last game of the 1976 season away at Ipswich. I was 10 and had my Rams gear on and got a lot of stick from some Ipswich youngsters but enjoyed the 6-2 win. We left 3 mins before the end at 4-2 and missed Frannie Lee’s final ever 2 goals he scored in injury time. The second game that springs to mind is being with my uncle at the Dell, 1978 I think. Memorable as my dad had arranged for me to meet the ? players before the game. John Newman was Manager and I met Roy Mac and David Langan and also Charlie George who was playing for them. Roy Mac went off injured at half time and we ended up losing 4-1. I also remember going to Home Park with a mate to see the ? at Argyle in the third division under Arthur. I lived in Cornwall so a local game for me. We were 1-0 up just before half time and Trevor Christie scored what looked like a perfectly good second. The ref disallowed it for offside and then in the second half they scored 4 25 yarders, unbelievable, and we lost 4-1. Then finally there was the league cup quarter final at Upton Park, the Dean Saunders offside goal. I lived a stones throw from the ground while I was at Uni in London and could hear the roar when West Ham scored on a Saturday afternoon. What are your experiences of being in the home end at away games ?

Cardiff is “local” for me, I’ve been to see the Rams there a few times now, last year was in the away end but a couple of times before that have sat with my Bluebird supporting mates in the Canton end and can remember once having to put a lot of effort into sitting on my hands when goals from Tom Ince and Nick Blackman secured us a 2-0 win, call me a coward but I didn’t fancy getting my head kicked in ? 

me and my mate were in the main stand at the city ground in the game we won 1-0 with Bryson scoring the winner. We’d been given some free tickets from a mate who worked for forest but supported Fulham and obvs had no interest in going. We did jump up when we scored but managed to disguise it into a sort of angry like o for god sake. 

Was in the Trent End at Forest in 1989.  Lost 2:1, Forest scored all three goals.  My Cousins Hubby was a Forest fan, and took me.  I Had my Derby shirt on under my (zipped up) jacket.  Was only 17 at the time and started to sweat a bit when overhead a lot of meat heads discussing how many Derby fans that they were going to put into the hospital after the game…

Still have the shirt, fits my 14 year old lad now…

My first away hand was Liverpool v Derby, can’t remember the score let alone year, but we drew, did score and my Dad was telling me not to shush a fair bit, as we were almost standing right behind our away team dugout; so when they went mental, it was my queue to join in….. why not eh ?

Since then I’ve had plenty of good experiences and a fair few wins, watching us in home corporate ends at Man Utd, Sunderland, Stoke, Ipswich, Coventry, Villa, Wolves and tinpot Burton. The only real hairy time I can think of, was in the proper away end of old double decker at Filbert St, when we scored at least 3 one game. There was loads of Derby fans up there and it got more than a bit boisterous. 

I’m sure there’s been a few more, it’s always ok if you don’t create a scene and fun if you’re team is winning to listen to the natives moan!

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

First ever Derby game was in the home end at Blackburn. Derby got spanked 5-1 that day with Simon Garner scoring all 5 goals. 

Forget the gypsy curse, I think it may be me that's the curse. Anybody up for crowd funding me a Forest season ticket? 

What was your mouth out with soap.

1 hour ago, Steve How Hard? said:

First ever Derby game was in the home end at Blackburn. Derby got spanked 5-1 that day with Simon Garner scoring all 5 goals. 

Forget the gypsy curse, I think it may be me that's the curse. Anybody up for crowd funding me a Forest season ticket? 

The game Bobby D missed as he was late for the team  bus. 
A load of us on a mini bus for that one had plenty of sorrow drowning beers on the way back 

MK Dons at the hockey stadium. Drove down about 10 days before the game and got tickets in the home end in case we didn’t beat Millwall and still needed something on the last day to stay up. He knew I was a derby fan when I bought the tickets but said he’d let it pass but did take name and address and said make sure there’s no issues from those seat numbers or you’ll be getting a knock on the door.