Being in the home end at away games

Jimbo Ram

Only ever done it at Huddersfield last season... The mask slipped on a couple of occasions but we were on the backfoot the entire game and didn't score, so my restraint was never fully tested.

The second half was dominated by our epic 'Allez allez' chant though, muted by some (on another post) as a highlight of the season. It just kept going and going, bigger and louder. Such passion and defiance from our fans... felt like it was gonna transcend the floodlit West Yorkshire skies and break into outer space!

Awseome to witness, though at the time could've given a left Jackson to jump in the away end and join in.

We used to go in home ends quite a lot before all seater stadiums and all ticket matches.

It was usually cheaper in the home ends and could be a couple of pints cheaper at some grounds.

It came close to kicking off on a few occasions,  but if there are a few of you and you act as if you don't really care and don't hide the fact that you're in the wrong end,  plod used to get in quickly and walk you round to the away end.

Forest, Leeds, Man.C, Coventry and Everton are some that readily come to mind. All these occurred when it was still pay at the gate and no checks where you were from.

Bar the trip to the trent end with a gump work colleague, the rest are mostly down to a naive young lad not realising what stand I was going into.

23 hours ago, eccles the ram said:

Was in North stand at Highbury with an Arsenal mate of mine. 2 all. Sturridge cracker. Shot up when that went in and was told to sit down immediately by my mate. Lots of eyes were on me but then I threw my arms up in the air trying to hide my glee! Happy days! 

I was in the home end for this too! Cracking match that one and very difficult to control the excitement. Being soporific Gooners, I doubt we were under any real threat.

My dad told me he was in the home end for the 5-2 FA Cup victory against Spurs and having to contain his excitement as Roger Davies scored a hat trick in a come back. Claims he averted a kicking by dragging his mate's arm down as he celebrated behind the goal. Reckons you can see this unfold on the footage of the game...

Someone better than me can probably find the highlights on YouTube!

I think both Watford in a cup match and Norwich in the league over 25 years ago….was a kid with my dad so unlikely to get in trouble ? I remember then that Watford was a hole, and Norwich filled with bumpkins….no opinions have since changed. 

Four times I have done the home end for a Derby game.

One was Villa away in the late 90s when it was a top of the table clash. Being young and naïve i decided to get a Derby flag out (alot smaller than the one i look after now might I add) much to the amusement and cheer of the Derby fans behind the goal. Put it away sharpish and watched the game. We lost if I recall.

Second time was Huddersfield away, quarter final in the cup i think. Kicked off between Derby and Huddersfield fans where we were sat. Had an old chap next to me and he goes you are Derby arent you? I said yep! He said I will look after you haha! 

Third time not so lucky. Remember the Bradford 4 4 game over Easter, Burley penalty if I recall... Approached home end, postcode please lads... Ermmm......... Didn't get in and around 100 of us had to have an injunction of 100m away from the ground. What a game to miss!

4th time was some years later when I got banned by Blackpool by a certain Mr Oyston. Paranoid as you like but some Blackpool lads sorted me with a ticket behind the goal for the last game of the season. This is when our relationship (and still is) was fab after we supported them outside there ground in one of the first demonstrations against the Oystons. 

I would quite easily do it again if a must. Obviously all of the above, bar Blackpool, is like 20 years ago when it was just easy to get a ticket in the home end.

I used to room with ex forest player Gboly Ariyibi while he was at Chesterfield. We became good mates and for the first Rowett game away at Forest (2-2) he got me tickets in the home end (urgh), as it wasnt on TV.

I ended up being sat with all the players families/ex players. Ended up being sat next to Matty Cashs' Aunt and we had a good chat. Her best comment was "Derby are on top here, if they score again its all over" to which i smirked.

Was all fun and games at 2-1 up in the 92nd minute, despite it being insanely hard not to celebrate either of our goals.

It was then typical that they scored the equilizer right infront of me and my mate (also a Derby fan). I sat there head in hands while others stood up and celebrated, maybe they realised but no one said anything.

Never again will i do that. No singing or celebrating was horrendous.

Edited by Edtheram

Sheffield United about 9-10 years ago, Harry Maguire came on as a sub! we won 1-0 and as good as relegated them... Was just next to the Derby fans. Said to my mate as we walked out ' took no satisfaction from that'   ?

Luton last season, they sang about 'having a party when we died' remember saying very loudly that I would never say that about ANY club!

Edited by RebelScum
Forgot about HM