The Alan Hinton Personal Collection

loweman2

So following on from Sir Alan Hinton sending me over his treasured signed and worn White Hummel boots to restore and share things then moved on a step further, Alans two younger brothers Roy and Brian came over to visit me, they brought some more of his books over from the publisher who is based near to where they live, as you can see from the photo there is no mistaking them for any other than Hintons, they were great company and full of stories of their older brother who was obviously their hero growing up before he was famous.

I have known Alan a long time maybe twenty years since he first came over to my mum and dads house with John O'hare for a cup of tea and we have always stayed in contact and i have always been over to see him whenever he comes to the UK which is most years so he knows what i am about and my ethics and what i try to do in putting together the history of teh club mainly through the shirts but also many other items of intrest that i rarely post.

I am not some sad old anorak i am a normal fella with a beautiful wife and a great son 12 year old son and a dad who i treasure and include him with what i do as it was him who started me on Derby County from birth so he can now endure the obsession as its his fault, i have built up an acquaintance and in some cases a friendship with many of the ex Derby County players especially those form the 70s and 80s for the obvious reasons that the team from 1968 to 1976 was legendary and the team from 1982 to 1990 was the one that i grew up with in my teen years and went on that fantastic journey with them, i am a genuine person and my collection is built upon trust that i wont use it for financial gain.

So back to Alan, himself and the family want me to put many of Alans Derby County related items into my collection, these will be shared with the DCFC family through events with the Rams Heritage Trust that many of you know i am one of the founding trustees with Jamie, Paul & Joe, we all have the clubs intrest at heart and our aim is to work closely with the new owner and to try and find a way of a display area being set up within Pride Park and maybe attach it to the ground tour, very much in the way that Arsenal have done it so well, made it all about the history of the club not just trophies. i will of course share items online as always, mainly through my twitter feed @phillowe1 as that way people can follow it who want to see it and it doesn't bore those who don't wish to see it.

I have built up a a good reputation online with many other football historians and collectors and work closely with Andy Ellis & Jason Shardlow on the book that we did and is updated each year with new content based on the shirt collection and the colours of the rams from 1884, i also speak with and spent time with Peter Seddon who endorsed the Racecourse Shirt collection of the first five shirts worn by Derby County, he actually is one of the 12 members of the collection.

There are some great items so i will post them over the next few days and hopefully this will become one of those posts that you can come back to each time you see it appear on the time line as new content will have been added.

Finally how great it is that we have our club back, for one moment a few weeks back i thought that we had reached the end game !

massive respect to David Clowes who really is just one of us ! 

Up the rams !!

So the first thing to share from Alan Hintons personal collection is this superb European trophy, it spells UEFA, it was presented to the players in recognition of reaching the European Cup semi final, it is inscribed with Alan’s name and each of the clubs that they played in the competition Sarajevo, Benfica, Spartak Trnava and Juventus, a very rare and treasured piece of Derby County FC history. #dcfcfans #dcfc.

766DC87A-9FF5-4EF4-ACF2-6F79EFF01A9A.jpeg

01A23FED-6B0A-4323-9B29-20BC1A60D103.jpeg

B03EDE7E-124D-42AD-85E8-531A8066D09A.jpeg

1D0636C8-B5AD-48C7-A203-D3671DE95929.jpeg

Being exiled from Derby, my son has grown up as a Southampton fan (despite my best efforts). I don't mind him supporting the local team, especially now that we no longer live in Wakefield ?

Anyhow, my point is that we recently went on a stadium tour at St. Mary's and every corridor, every big money restaurant/viewing area (they're moving away from exec boxes) is adorned with history, memorabilia, shirts, player caps, photographs, trophies, documents, exchanged pennants and the like.

A Derby County museum within the ground would be great but, if a dedicated room/area isn't possible, then just have displays throughout.

23 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Being exiled from Derby, my son has grown up as a Southampton fan (despite my best efforts). I don't mind him supporting the local team, especially now that we no longer live in Wakefield ?

Anyhow, my point is that we recently went on a stadium tour at St. Mary's and every corridor, every big money restaurant/viewing area (they're moving away from exec boxes) is adorned with history, memorabilia, shirts, player caps, photographs, trophies, documents, exchanged pennants and the like.

A Derby County museum within the ground would be great but, if a dedicated room/area isn't possible, then just have displays throughout.

Bit surprised Southampton have the history for a 'museum' - one FA Cup win & some 1990s top division relegation scraps is all they're known for really. Didn't even reach the top division until the mid 60s. Portsmouth are the only South Coast club with a genuine football heritage IMO.

Totally take your point re DCFC though & think our current owner is going to be more open to starting a DCFC history area. A room or two with our league titles, the FA Cup, videos of European nights with all the old shirts & pennants would be great. I'd love to see some of the 70s team hosting it too....'look how bloody good we were & I was'

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Any chance of getting some photos or a link ? I’m looking for different ideas of displaying items ! Thanks for taking the time to reply ?

Just a quick note @loweman2 to say a big thank you on behalf of all of us fans with a keen interest in the history of our club.

It must take a great deal of commitment and I would imagine you feel a great sense of responsibility gathering, curating and exhibiting such a collection. 

I guess it speaks volumes that so many former players are willing to contribute to the collection through the relationships you've built.

All the best and keep up the good work.

9 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Any chance of getting some photos or a link ? I’m looking for different ideas of displaying items ! Thanks for taking the time to reply ?

Nothing particularly innovative - just display cabinets either side of the corridors or against walls in their restaurants. I'll try to dig out photos.

I've not done the stadium tour at Pride Park so I'm not sure about the inner layout, beyond the West and South Stand concourses. But St. Mary's is a similar capacity so I imagine there's a similar layout inside.

I was actually surprised how many restaurants and board rooms there were. As I alluded to, Southampton are moving away from executive boxes, converting them to restaurants overlooking the pitch. They find they can make more money that way by being flexible on the number of people in a party. But there's also a labyrinth of corridors linking the rooms all on about 3-4 levels.

46 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Nothing particularly innovative - just display cabinets either side of the corridors or against walls in their restaurants. I'll try to dig out photos.

I've not done the stadium tour at Pride Park so I'm not sure about the inner layout, beyond the West and South Stand concourses. But St. Mary's is a similar capacity so I imagine there's a similar layout inside.

I was actually surprised how many restaurants and board rooms there were. As I alluded to, Southampton are moving away from executive boxes, converting them to restaurants overlooking the pitch. They find they can make more money that way by being flexible on the number of people in a party. But there's also a labyrinth of corridors linking the rooms all on about 3-4 levels.

been to a few meals/partys/work conferences etc at St Marys Stadium. Assume Pride Park has similar  (St Marys actually slightly lower capacity as its effectively the same "height" all round, doesnt have an equivalent of the west stand), but i dont actually know.

2 hours ago, Ewetube said:

Just a quick note @loweman2 to say a big thank you on behalf of all of us fans with a keen interest in the history of our club.

It must take a great deal of commitment and I would imagine you feel a great sense of responsibility gathering, curating and exhibiting such a collection. 

I guess it speaks volumes that so many former players are willing to contribute to the collection through the relationships you've built.

All the best and keep up the good work.

i really appreciate that thank you @Ewetube, it does take a lot of personal time not to mention money, thats why it is so fantastic when the ex players are willing to entrust me with their personal items to continue for the following generations rather than sell them at auctions, speaks volumes as many of them have very little when compared with modern day players, i love doing it and one day the fans will hopefully get a recognised official area where we can all share in them !

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

i really appreciate that thank you @Ewetube, it does take a lot of personal time not to mention money, thats why it is so fantastic when the ex players are willing to entrust me with their personal items to continue for the following generations rather than sell them at auctions, speaks volumes as many of them have very little when compared with modern day players, i love doing it and one day the fans will hopefully get a recognised official area where we can all share in them !

You do seem a proper geniune bloke (having met you)

P.S have you still got my shirt ?

PPS the other one never came to light !

The next item from Alan’s collection is his Watney Cup Final winners tankard awarded at the end of the match to the players along with the trophy.

it was a packed Baseball Ground and the young exciting Rams tore United apart who had Best, Charlton and Law in their side.

another piece of our fine history.

Watney Cup Final

Derby County 4 Manchester United 1

August 8, 1970

Manchester United, with Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law in their team, were no match for Derby County.

The Rams ran out 4-1 winners in front of more than 30,000 at the Baseball Ground.

One 20-minute spell in the second-half brought back memories of the home annihilations of Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool the previous season, with four and five-man moves, all involving simple first-time passes to men running perfectly into spaces, carving the United defence to pieces.

Alan Durban was outstanding; Willie Carlin covered every blade of grass, and John McGovern never stopped running and finding space.

The front three of Kevin Hector, John O'Hare and Alan Hinton were in exciting, thrustful mood, while Dave Mackay sauntered imperiously through the game.

Roy McFarland was the man of the match - ruthless in the tackle and dominant in the air, without ever losing the elegance that is his trade-mark, the Derby Evening Telegraph reported.

The Rams goals came from McFarland, Hinton, Durban and Mackay.

The cup was presented by FIFA president Sir Stanley Rous.

Derby County: Green; Webster, Robson; Durban, McFarland, Mackay; McGovern, Carlin, O'Hare, Hector, Hinton.

Manchester United: Stepney; Edwards, Dunne; Crerand, Ure, Sadler; Morgan (Stiles, 57), Law (Fitzpatrick, 25), Charlton, Kidd, Best.

Referee: Mr K Walker (Maidstone)

Attendance: 32,049

#dcfcfans

D7EB023C-5C4C-4FCC-B2B5-DE36007BEF92.jpeg

FF45F620-4886-4A0A-963E-78A69A2CAA43.jpeg

B80DB388-9802-46EB-82B8-7183E4033E55.jpeg

4B89B2B8-6E1A-41FE-9CF6-65A5893C26D1.jpeg

0D5F2D73-A987-4B71-A043-4B998A11851C.jpeg

0743F7A3-2AFF-46A9-9527-229E4FA61CF7.jpeg

We really need to sort out a museum, maybe a perspex one on wheels that can be rolled out on match days? Right up Bombardier/Toyota/Rolls-Royce's street to produce that.

Across the road from Hardwick School was Alan's handbag shop in the 1970s, or at least that's what I think I remember.

A lovely story about Alan Hinton from Tommy Hutchinson, when they played in the NFL, with Alan managing Seattle. Bruce Rioch, David Nish, Jeff Bourne and Roger Davies were in that side as well. Roger Davies had a reputation as a joker and relaxing around the pool with the players, Alan came back from the horse races with a huge wad of money he had won, waving it around. 'Drinks are on you, boss', they shouted. Alan was having none of this, so Roger picked him up and dropped him in the pool. Alan went absolutely bonkers and told Roger the money was coming out of his wages, but it never did and the incident was completely forgotten the next day.

2 hours ago, Macintosh said:

We really need to sort out a museum, maybe a perspex one on wheels that can be rolled out on match days? Right up Bombardier/Toyota/Rolls-Royce's street to produce that.

Across the road from Hardwick School was Alan's handbag shop in the 1970s, or at least that's what I think I remember.

A lovely story about Alan Hinton from Tommy Hutchinson, when they played in the NFL, with Alan managing Seattle. Bruce Rioch, David Nish, Jeff Bourne and Roger Davies were in that side as well. Roger Davies had a reputation as a joker and relaxing around the pool with the players, Alan came back from the horse races with a huge wad of money he had won, waving it around. 'Drinks are on you, boss', they shouted. Alan was having none of this, so Roger picked him up and dropped him in the pool. Alan went absolutely bonkers and told Roger the money was coming out of his wages, but it never did and the incident was completely forgotten the next day.

I love these tails of yesteryears players' japes and capers.

It's amazing how Alan's Watney Cup tankard can lead to the recollection of such a tail.

I suppose therein lies the power of an artifact from the past, it triggers memories of past events, not necessarily directly linked to the item itself.

3 hours ago, loweman2 said:

The next item from Alan’s collection is his Watney Cup Final winners tankard awarded at the end of the match to the players along with the trophy.

it was a packed Baseball Ground and the young exciting Rams tore United apart who had Best, Charlton and Law in their side.

Watney Cup Final

August 8, 1970

Manchester United, with Bobby Charlton, George Best and Denis Law in their team, were no match for Derby County.

The Rams ran out 4-1 winners in front of more than 30,000 at the Baseball Ground.

One 20-minute spell in the second-half brought back memories of the home annihilations of Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool the previous season, with four and five-man moves, all involving simple first-time passes to men running perfectly into spaces, carving the United defence to pieces.

Alan Durban was outstanding; Willie Carlin covered every blade of grass, and John McGovern never stopped running and finding space.

The front three of Kevin Hector, John O'Hare and Alan Hinton were in exciting, thrustful mood, while Dave Mackay sauntered imperiously through the game.

Roy McFarland was the man of the match - ruthless in the tackle and dominant in the air, without ever losing the elegance that is his trade-mark, the Derby Evening Telegraph reported.

Derby County: Green; Webster, Robson; Durban, McFarland, Mackay; McGovern, Carlin, O'Hare, Hector, Hinton.

Manchester United: Stepney; Edwards, Dunne; Crerand, Ure, Sadler; Morgan (Stiles, 57), Law (Fitzpatrick, 25), Charlton, Kidd, Best.

#dcfcfans

Great stuff!

Alan really has made some great contributions to the collection.

What a top bloke!

Another story from Alan's days as manager of Seattle, although it isn't about him. Back then New York Cosmos thought they had the divine right to win everything, because they had the star players like Pele and Beckenbauer etc, a bit like Liverpool and Manchester City today. Roger Davies was leading the scoring charts, one ahead of Cosmos's Giorgio Chinaglia and they were playing each other in the Giant's Stadium. Only a few minutes into the game there was a minor tussle between Roger and one of their defenders and the ref sent Roger off. It was not even a foul but it ensured Roger did not score and would be suspended.

It got tasty after that and Iranian Cosmos full-back Andranik Eskandarian launched himself at Tommy Hutchison and left horrendous stud marks down his shin. Bruce Rioch saw this, arrived like a train, knocked Eskandarian spark out with a single punch and just walked off the pitch without looking for the red card he knew he was getting.

Those were the days when at Sounders home game the club gave out 20,000 kazoos each time. What an atmosphere that would have been [not]. It never caught on. 

23 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Watney Cup Final

August 8, 1970

#dcfcfans

I hope we remembered to get this back of Stoke in all the kerfuffle. Season long loan wasn't it.  Anyway to find out ?

7 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Another story from Alan's days as manager of Seattle, although it isn't about him. Back then New York Cosmos thought they had the divine right to win everything, because they had the star players like Pele and Beckenbauer etc, a bit like Liverpool and Manchester City today. Roger Davies was leading the scoring charts, one ahead of Cosmos's Giorgio Chinaglia and they were playing each other in the Giant's Stadium. Only a few minutes into the game there was a minor tussle between Roger and one of their defenders and the ref sent Roger off. It was not even a foul but it ensured Roger did not score and would be suspended.

It got tasty after that and Iranian Cosmos full-back Andranik Eskandarian launched himself at Tommy Hutchison and left horrendous stud marks down his shin. Bruce Rioch saw this, arrived like a train, knocked Eskandarian spark out with a single punch and just walked off the pitch without looking for the red card he knew he was getting.

Those were the days when at Sounders home game the club gave out 20,000 kazoos each time. What an atmosphere that would have been [not]. It never caught on. 

I remember reading a story re Ron Webster think it was, about his time playing in America.  Noted that one of the players for New York wasn't getting touched and he totally clobbered him.  What he didn't know was this lad was getting picked as he was crap but was some mafia dons son.  Hence the kid gloves every time he got the ball till Belpers finest arrived.   Story was in one of these games I remember books