Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

2 hours ago, Highgate said:

https://climate.copernicus.eu/record-breaking-north-atlantic-ocean-temperatures-contribute-extreme-marine-heatwaves?utm_source=press&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pr-CBjune23

It's the potential for unwanted positive feedback loops that is the most disturbing aspect of all this.  Namely those that will occur if Artic ice continues to melt or the methane deposits on the ocean beds. 

More Mumbo jumbo jargon buzz word phrases 🥱

1 hour ago, Archied said:

More Mumbo jumbo jargon buzz word phrases 🥱

Stive I’m kind of ok with well meaning people like Highgate who have they’re view I just can’t buy in whilst the space is filled with grifters like dale vince filling they’re bank accounts and building they’re empires , I’ve made a point of listening to a few of his interviews lately and I’m far from impressed or swayed  🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

11 minutes ago, Highgate said:

The seas are getting warm, very warm. Way warmer than they should be.  And that's bad for lots of reasons. That's all there is to it really.  

Not really , the more there is to it bit kicks in around how much of that is down to fossil fuels , how much will change by stopping using fossil fuels , how much difference will be made regards timescale of being able to totally stop the use of fossil fuels and switch to renewables as opposed to a manaable timescale as renewables become actually feasible to run the world that has produced longer ,better ,healthier lives we have now , ect ect ect 

1 minute ago, Archied said:

Not really , the more there is to it bit kicks in around how much of that is down to fossil fuels , how much will change by stopping using fossil fuels , how much difference will be made regards timescale of being able to totally stop the use of fossil fuels and switch to renewables as opposed to a manaable timescale as renewables become actually feasible to run the world that has produced longer ,better ,healthier lives we have now , ect ect ect 

Yes, you are right, there was the point about how much of this is due to natural variability and how much is due to human caused climate change. The former is always present of course, but the latter is definitely taking ocean temperatures in one direction only.  And that's the problem.

The article only discussed the ocean temp. and the reasons for it, it said nothing at all about possible solutions, eg renewables etc... 

5 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yes, you are right, there was the point about how much of this is due to natural variability and how much is due to human caused climate change. The former is always present of course, but the latter is definitely taking ocean temperatures in one direction only.  And that's the problem.

The article only discussed the ocean temp. and the reasons for it, it said nothing at all about possible solutions, eg renewables etc... 

will have a read 👍

15 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Good old gb news having a debate at the moment between someone from community climate action and someone from just stop oil , they want pretty much the same things but the former far easier to engage with 

27 minutes ago, Archied said:

Good old gb news having a debate at the moment between someone from community climate action and someone from just stop oil , they want pretty much the same things but the former far easier to engage with 

Yeah they really should be as they are all about ground-up collaborative community action, however small, to help combat and cope with climate change.. rather than focusing on protesting. All very worthwhile in my opinion. However, I would support protesting too, as long it was directed at those decision makers in power who have the ability to make a real difference to relevant policy. 

I wonder which method works better for achieving their shared goals (that's what really matters after all), I honestly don't know but I suspect it's community climate action. 

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

For those that say - oh you should take your protests directly to the politicians, it was interesting to see what happens when you do that

You get told to shut up and ushered away

I think is a really effective protest actually. They embarrass Starmer, get their point across, and haven't disrupted or annoyed the general public in any way.  I trust nothing bad happened to the protesters once they were ushered out of the room.  

Starmer and the Labour Party certainly won't want this sort of thing to continue...so maybe they'll actually do something positive?  I'm probably being too optimistic with that last point. 

4 hours ago, Highgate said:

I think is a really effective protest actually. They embarrass Starmer, get their point across, and haven't disrupted or annoyed the general public in any way.  I trust nothing bad happened to the protesters once they were ushered out of the room.  

Starmer and the Labour Party certainly won't want this sort of thing to continue...so maybe they'll actually do something positive?  I'm probably being too optimistic with that last point. 

I think that’s fair protest , they are confronting a politician who they feel is being duplicitous and or flip flopping around with they’re only interest being to get the backers to donate and voters votes, putting them on the spot like that has value 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

So, anyone visiting any nice forest fires this summer? I hear huge chunks of European forestry are ablaze which is something we all love to see and parts of the US have apparently melted completely, so that's good too.

Hard to see why folk make a fuss really, as these things happen all the time, don't they, or at least they do now. I'll just pop on a bit more 1000 SPF sun cream when I trip down to Spain. I'm sure it'll be just fine, though I'll likely be spending the entire week in the hotel room with the aircon running flat out, which may not be the best thing all round... 

3 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

So, anyone visiting any nice forest fires this summer? I hear huge chunks of European forestry are ablaze which is something we all love to see and parts of the US have apparently melted completely, so that's good too.

Hard to see why folk make a fuss really, as these things happen all the time, don't they, or at least they do now. I'll just pop on a bit more 1000 SPF sun cream when I trip down to Spain. I'm sure it'll be just fine, though I'll likely be spending the entire week in the hotel room with the aircon running flat out, which may not be the best thing all round... 

you beat me to posting on this you bugger 😂, I’m in Spain now for a few days rest and sun , it’s lovely and pretty much like it’s always been since I’ve been coming here , thought I had better get some sunshine in before those just stop oil buggers plunge us into another ice age 😂

5 minutes ago, Archied said:

you beat me to posting on this you bugger 😂, I’m in Spain now for a few days rest and sun , it’s lovely and pretty much like it’s always been since I’ve been coming here , thought I had better get some sunshine in before those just stop oil buggers plunge us into another ice age 😂

It was hotter in Roman times , the hottest in over a 2000 year period , them bloody chariots spewing out horse poo all over the shop 😂