Liam Rosenior

3 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Great managers can alter their tactics based on the opponent's style of play, how the match is going, and what the team needs to do to score or preserve a lead.

A weak tactician will run out of ideas, have his team play one-dimensional football, and appear like a headless chicken on the touchline shrieking directions.

A bad manager will blame his players rather than accepting the fault lies with him.

At this moment Rosenoir is not a great manager, do we have the time to wait for him to be?

Yes we should wait until Rosenior know what he's doing. This could take 6 years but please just be thankful you have a club and keep counting your dressings, I mean blessings. 

35 minutes ago, Oldben said:

Great managers can alter their tactics based on the opponent's style of play, how the match is going, and what the team needs to do to score or preserve a lead.

At this moment Rosenoir is not a great manager, do we have the time to wait for him to be?

You do not need to be a great manager to alter tactics based on the opponent's style of play, If that were the case there's about circa 50 great managers on this website now.

Greatness is a term in todays world of football that is cheaply spoken about when someone does a bicycle kick and scores or a well timed tackle in the 18 yard box.

Was Alf Ramsey great when winning the World Cup in 66?, Was Alf Ramsey Great when taking Bobby Charlton off when leading W Germany 2-0 only to lose 2-3 in the 1970 World Cup?

Greatness my ar$e

28 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Current realistic managers that are out of work, i've put a * against the ones i'd be happy with;

Mick McCarthy*

Nigel Adkins

Paul Lambert

Michael O'Neill*

Jonathan Woodgate

Sol Campbell

Garry Monk

Lee Bowyer*

Whether we can poach somebody elses manager with the restrictions etc i don't know.

Really ?

30 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Current realistic managers that are out of work, i've put a * against the ones i'd be happy with;

Mick McCarthy*

Nigel Adkins

Paul Lambert

Michael O'Neill*

Jonathan Woodgate

Sol Campbell

Garry Monk

Lee Bowyer*

Whether we can poach somebody elses manager with the restrictions etc i don't know.

Mike Bassett?

4 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Really ?

I'm not sure whether you're laughing at the calibre of manager available or the fact i'd happily have 3 of them. If its the case that i'd happily have 3 of them then i'm a little confused as MM two promotions to the PL and LB promotion to the championship which would suggest they know what they're doing or have known something about managing at some point in their lives. 

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You obviously don’t….as if LR being interim manager, a guy who has been with the squad for a number of years, is impacting on the team’s performance….talk about clutching at straws ?

Not doing very well then as we are already 9 points off Top 2 in a carp division 

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

That might well be the case but where does him being interim manager come in to it ? Surely you aren’t naive enough to think after cobbling a squad together in a few weeks we would be top of the table after 8 games ?

Oh come on . He plays one style and other teams have Sussed us out . If he’s good enough he gets the job doesn’t he.  The players will take the piss if he’s interim 

Edited by Curtains

5 hours ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

The first half at Charlton is the most dominant performance I can remember watching in many years.

Clearly, not from a goals perspective and you have to consider the standard of opposition.......but Charlton didn't have the opportunity to string any passes together until about the 45th minute.

The reason? In my opinion, we won every second ball, closed down and most importantly, shifted the ball quickly and largely in a forward direction. Basically, we were horrible to play against because someone, somewhere won the ball back in seconds .....and played it positively before they could get their defence back in shape. We bullied them - then played decent football.

Since then we've dropped off the pace, aren't winning second balls and, when we do get it, Wildsmith is the often destination in one or two passes.........we allow their back 8 to organise and their front two to wait for mistakes whilst we faff around at the back.

I like LR and want him to succeed but he's going to have to prioritise positivity over possession - otherwise I think he's toast.

Spot on 

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

You do not need to be a great manager to alter tactics based on the opponent's style of play, If that were the case there's about circa 50 great managers on this website now.

Greatness is a term in todays world of football that is cheaply spoken about when someone does a bicycle kick and scores or a well timed tackle in the 18 yard box.

Was Alf Ramsey great when winning the World Cup in 66?, Was Alf Ramsey Great when taking Bobby Charlton off when leading W Germany 2-0 only to lose 2-3 in the 1970 World Cup?

Greatness my ar$e

Bobby was blowing out of his arse and had to come off. Bonnetti’s sponge fingers where a different matter ?

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

I'm not sure whether you're laughing at the calibre of manager available or the fact i'd happily have 3 of them. If its the case that i'd happily have 3 of them then i'm a little confused as MM two promotions to the PL and LB promotion to the championship which would suggest they know what they're doing or have known something about managing at some point in their lives. 

When was the last time any of them were successful at L1 level? (or at all, if you prefer)

11 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Bobby was blowing out of his arse and had to come off. Bonnetti’s sponge fingers where a different matter ?

That may or may not be true, It was a scorching hot day in Mexico And the fact he smoked 40 a day may or may not have contributed to him "blowing out of his arse", Ramsey was quoted years later that it was a tactical substitution as was with Martin Peters to rest them for the semi final ?

As for "the cat" Bonnetti more a soft "pussy" Mueller must have thought it was his birthday ☹️ 

Edited by Unlucky Alf