Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

No surprises in my opinion, no pathway to first team for many and reduce the u21 wage bill to put as much of the overall budget into the first team. 

There is enough left over to field a team, it will be tough for them. 

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

The under 21s are decimated, as we knew they would be.

I'd have liked to keep Kido Taylor-Hart, but we might not be able to afford him.

I'm also pleased Carlos Richards has been offered new terms.

Not really too surprised by any other names on that list.

Genuine question to you and others that follow the academy, when you say as we knew they would be, is this the financial pressure or just they were not likely to make the first team? 

I’ve not been since we stopped playing at St George’s. So my source of what’s coming through tends to be here or limited highlights, but I’ve not seen  any great performances that stick in my mind, bar a few 18’s games.

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Genuine question to you and others that follow the academy, when you say as we knew they would be, is this the financial pressure or just they were not likely to make the first team? 

Bit of both. None of the released were going to have an impact on first team squad this year and could be seen as blocking pathway for others. 

Whilst academy has no impact on FFP it has to be paid for and there has to be an u21 wage budget, reduce that and in theory you have more money to spend elsewhere. 

Edited by Guest

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

The under 21s are decimated, as we knew they would be.

I'd have liked to keep Kido Taylor-Hart, but we might not be able to afford him.

I'm also pleased Carlos Richards has been offered new terms.

Not really too surprised by any other names on that list.

I would say that retained list makes it look worse than it actually is. A few of the U18s have been playing in the U21s all season. We still have the following team (assuming those offered deals stay):

Evans

Oduroh   Moore   Bardell   Moloney

Hawkins   DRobinson   Fapetu

Richards   Oseni   Nunn

That still leaves Bates as an U21 and the other promising U18s such as JThompson, Cox, KRobinson, Davidson, DBrown and Wheeldon as options

On 09/05/2023 at 16:36, ExiledinDerby said:

I think it will look like 

GK: Club No. 2 (Thompson on Bench)

Bardell Moore Cox

Oduroh.                                          Moloney

Bates.  Hawkins Fapetu

Oseni or Nunn

Brown

Subs made up from u18s 

It will be another hard season at u21 level but will give the lads playing a lot of experience and things to learn. 

Almost the same …. 😉 Great minds and all that 😂

7 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Bit of both. None of the released were going to have an impact on first team squad this year and could be seen as blocking pathway for others. 

Whilst academy has no impact on FFP it has to be paid for and there has to be an u21 wage budget, reduce that and in theory you have more money to spend elsewhere. 

I think this is the key bit. We have a number of U18s who we want to fast track through to the U21s, so it makes sense to clear that path.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think this is the key bit. We have a number of U18s who we want to fast track through to the U21s, so it makes sense to clear that path.

Agreed. Robinson, Oduroh and Evans (possibly even Brown) can get moved onto the fringes of first team squad next year as well. 

18 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Agreed. Robinson, Oduroh and Evans (possibly even Brown) can get moved onto the fringes of first team squad next year as well. 

How has Oduroh performed this season? Just going by highlights he often seemed to get caught out of position to me, but perhaps that's just me being harsh?

40 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

No surprises in my opinion, no pathway to first team for many and reduce the u21 wage bill to put as much of the overall budget into the first team. 

There is enough left over to field a team, it will be tough for them. 

Couldn’t we scrap the academy and do a Brentford a B team buy premier released players and gems from abroad 

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

How has Oduroh performed this season? Just going by highlights he often seemed to get caught out of position to me, but perhaps that's just me being harsh?

He still has a lot to learn. Personally I agree his positioning is his weakness. 

24 minutes ago, Dan_Ram said:

What happened to Aghatise? Thought he was quite highly regarded.. and hasn’t Cameron Ashia been scoring a few recently?

Part of the (horribly ruthless) question of whether a youngster will make it is whether their body can take it. Aghatise is already injured so much, even before men's football, and I presume that's a significant factor here. Just like that injury prone but talented Kyle McAllister we gambled on from Scotland, but then released. I think it will have played a role in the decision over Jack Stretton too. 

10 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Couldn’t we scrap the academy and do a Brentford a B team buy premier released players and gems from abroad 

Its an option. It has pros and cons around this method. Even Brentford have reopened their academy though I think now. 

16 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

A big part of Brentford’s reasoning was how difficult it is for them to compete for local players with the big London clubs.  We don’t really have that problem, we’ve got excellent facilities and a big local catchment area.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

Anyone who’s watched more than I have report on any surprises there?

The likes of Alfie Roberts, Harrison Foulkes, Will Grewal-Pollard, Harrison Solomon, Rhys Brailsford, Cian Kelly Caprani, Olamide Ibrahim, Osazee Aghatise, Connor Dixon and Bartosz Cybulski have been in the U18s and U21s for a number of seasons now.

Sadly, if they haven’t broken into the first team squad (even the fringes) after the last two seasons in the Championships, and this season in League One, then you have to question if they ever will!

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Part of the (horribly ruthless) question of whether a youngster will make it is whether their body can take it. Aghatise is already injured so much, even before men's football, and I presume that's a significant factor here. Just like that injury prone but talented Kyle McAllister we gambled on from Scotland, but then released. I think it will have played a role in the decision over Jack Stretton too. 

Likewise Harrison Solomon.