Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

Not getting my hopes up just yet, but it's interesting that they might be dragged back into the mix. Very rare for me to want to cheer on Newcastle, but I will be on Friday. If the Toon win, then that gives the other clubs at the foot of the table a target. If the Gumps win, that's a lot of distance between them and a large pack, meaning a whole load of clubs beneath them need to pick up points. And that's hard for teams near the bottom to keep doing.

I see the stadium redevelopment has been put back again seems sensible to me unlike the comments on the evening post evidently taking the capacity to 35000 is a waste of time as they need at least a 50000 seat capacity stadium!!! 

The stadium size decision is a really tricky one. On the one hand you don't want to expand too modestly in case you need to do it again but on the other hand if things are not going so well then you absolutely don't want to have your fans rattling around a half empty stadium.

Pitching a capacity at the PL is all well and good but as a team that has not been near the top flight for a while, it's a bit of a gamble for them and you can suddenly find yourself entertaining 400 away fans on a Tuesday night back in the Championship plus the inevitable midweek dip in home fans, even if they have paid for STs.

If Forest went with a 50k option then you can't help but feel that is really too big and they'd regret it as it would kill home atmosphere. Some folk might argue for much bigger capacity on the grounds of ambition and certainly you'll get some new fans as we did when we moved and hugely upgraded facilities, particularly for female fans, but I'd rather have a ground that was generally pretty full than always well below capacity.

In recent decades their crowds have been similar to ours with 30k being a very decent crowd. Not having a pop here but I just don't see them finding anywhere near 20k on top of that even in the PL. For what its worth I think all those years ago we got it about right and that was a decent effort based on projections of numbers from the switch from the  much lower capacity BBG. If we ever get back to the top flight it will probably feel a bit restricted but making the stadium over half as big again would seem a bit excessive.

Leeds has a pop of around 780,000 and Elland Road is what, about 38k ? I think they have talked of expanding that but even so, Nottingham's population is under 300k. Surely a stadium much bigger than 40k runs the risk of being a bit of a white elephant.

28 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Leeds has a pop of around 780,000 and Elland Road is what, about 38k ? I think they have talked of expanding that but even so, Nottingham's population is under 300k. Surely a stadium much bigger than 40k runs the risk of being a bit of a white elephant.

Especially in a non-footballing town. 

4 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

In fairness to forest there fans don't just come from the city - its the entire county. Same with Derby and with Leeds. Although Leeds do have a lot more competition for fans near them.

I think we could probably fill 40k+ if we were in the Prem, but not in any other league unless there was a huge cut in ticket prices.

7 hours ago, Alty_Ram said:

The stadium size decision is a really tricky one. On the one hand you don't want to expand too modestly in case you need to do it again but on the other hand if things are not going so well then you absolutely don't want to have your fans rattling around a half empty stadium.

Pitching a capacity at the PL is all well and good but as a team that has not been near the top flight for a while, it's a bit of a gamble for them and you can suddenly find yourself entertaining 400 away fans on a Tuesday night back in the Championship plus the inevitable midweek dip in home fans, even if they have paid for STs.

If Forest went with a 50k option then you can't help but feel that is really too big and they'd regret it as it would kill home atmosphere. Some folk might argue for much bigger capacity on the grounds of ambition and certainly you'll get some new fans as we did when we moved and hugely upgraded facilities, particularly for female fans, but I'd rather have a ground that was generally pretty full than always well below capacity.

In recent decades their crowds have been similar to ours with 30k being a very decent crowd. Not having a pop here but I just don't see them finding anywhere near 20k on top of that even in the PL. For what its worth I think all those years ago we got it about right and that was a decent effort based on projections of numbers from the switch from the  much lower capacity BBG. If we ever get back to the top flight it will probably feel a bit restricted but making the stadium over half as big again would seem a bit excessive.

2021 census has the population of the City of Nottingham as approx. 324,000, but that excludes West Bridgeford and all of the other outer suburbs like Arnold, Gedling, Beeston etc. The Functional Urban Area of Nottingham is the largest in the East Midlands at over 900,000.

The people are there, but not the interest to fill even a 38,000 stadium regularly.