League 1 | 22/23 Season

Day

11 hours ago, REDCAR said:

What dirty away day does people have their eye on next season?

I don’t mean a whore filled weekend in Amsterdam either.

Remember going to vale away under jim smiths promotion season

cracking away day, filled half the ground .. and won

same again would be cracking 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As of 5th June 2022

Combined Transfer Activity

League 1
Total player departures: 176

Total player arrivals: 96

Total money received: £3,987,000 

Total money spent: £162,000 

Championship
Total player departures: 175

Total player arrivals: 94

Total money received: £24,790,500  

Total money spent: £18,531,900

Premier League
Total player departures: 96

Total player arrivals: 123

Total money received: £309,824,460  

Total money spent: £659,742,332

Source: Transfermarkt

1 hour ago, David said:

As of 5th June 2022

League 1

Championship

Premier League

The differences in those received / spent figures is staggering. 

Only £162k in L1 on 96 players vs £659m on 123 players in the Prem!  

20 hours ago, David said:

As of 5th June 2022

League 1

Championship

Premier League

Could've posted this to Football eat itself thread as well...

21 hours ago, David said:

As of 5th June 2022

League 1

Championship

Premier League

This post encapsulates everything that is wrong with football.

The gap between the haves and the have nots is bewildering.

Back in the first division (and that is what it should be), pretty much every team had players that would walk into another team. We had two England starters, fgs.  Nowadays, it’s virtually impossible to even dent the top half.

Resultantly, I actually think we’ll have a far more enjoyable season than Forest this season.

I've just had a look at who we're likely to come up against this season, think I'm most intrigued to see how Marriott gets on. Vernam looks like he's found a bit of promise recently, also it will be good to see Brayford again! 

Paul Coutts - Bristol Rovers (C)
John Brayford - Burton Albion (C)
Kyle McAllistiar - Forest Green Rovers
George Edmundson - Ipswich
Sone Aluko - Ipswich
Chris Maguire - Lincoln
Charles Vernam - Lincoln
Ferrand Rawson - Morecambe
Jack Marriott - Peterborough
Kieron Freeman - Portsmouth
Michael Jacobs - Portsmouth
Lee Gregory - Sheffield Wednesday
Barry Bannan - Sheffield Wednesday

I'm surprised that Peterborough seem to have retained all their highly rated players.

Edwards was apparently being looked at by some top Premier league sides (although he's a bit small for a centre back), Clarke-Harris knocked a few goals in the final quarter of the season, Taylor looks like he could easily be a top Championship player and Harrison Burrows looks a real prospect.

They could be a team that really kicks on this season.

On 06/07/2022 at 10:21, David said:

As of 5th June 2022

League 1

Championship

Premier League

Ah, but that was before we got going.....that money spent in L1 will have rocketed to, er, about, er, 162k by now..... ?

On 06/07/2022 at 12:01, Ramrob said:

The differences in those received / spent figures is staggering. 

Only £162k in L1 on 96 players vs £659m on 123 players in the Prem!  

The issue is primarily the Prem money, but even in the EFL the championship gets 70% of the tv money if i remember correctly. The dregs are left to league 1 and 2. All 4 leagues should split the money equally imo.

30 minutes ago, GenBr said:

The issue is primarily the Prem money, but even in the EFL the championship gets 70% of the tv money if i remember correctly. The dregs are left to league 1 and 2. All 4 leagues should split the money equally imo.

Which would then result in a massive divide between league 2 and non-league.

All that's needed is to redistribute parachute payments between clubs. Clubs who would normally get parachute payments just get the same as everyone else in the league.

Championship clubs could then go from £5m TV money to £10m, L1 £0.7m to £3.7m and L2 £0.5 to £1.5m.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Which would then result in a massive divide between league 2 and non-league.

All that's needed is to redistribute parachute payments between clubs. Clubs who would normally get parachute payments just get the same as everyone else in the league.

Championship clubs could then go from £5m TV money to £10m, L1 £0.7m to £3.7m and L2 £0.5 to £1.5m.

I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. All TV money should be split equally through all 4 professional leagues - it might actually make professional football interesting again and it would certainly eliminate the yawning chasm between the EFL and the Premier League. With a more even distribution it would also hopefully stop lunatics ruining their clubs to chase the ludicrous wealth on offer in the top league. If the individual leagues want to offer more in prize money then they are welcome to do so. Any teams promoted from non league are then handsomely rewarded for their efforts.

20 minutes ago, GenBr said:

I disagree, but you are entitled to your opinion. All TV money should be split equally through all 4 professional leagues - it might actually make professional football interesting again and it would certainly eliminate the yawning chasm between the EFL and the Premier League. With a more even distribution it would also hopefully stop lunatics ruining their clubs to chase the ludicrous wealth on offer in the top league. If the individual leagues want to offer more in prize money then they are welcome to do so. Any teams promoted from non league are then handsomely rewarded for their efforts.

Your way means the team bottom of L2 receives over £30m more than the team which finishes top of the National League. Can you not see how much damage that would do to the football pyramid?

On 09/07/2022 at 12:50, Ghost of Clough said:

Your way means the team bottom of L2 receives over £30m more than the team which finishes top of the National League. Can you not see how much damage that would do to the football pyramid?

Yes no more damage than the current system and no more damage than your proposed system.

The equal share that the Premier League teams get for the tv rights is currently £79 million each plus whatever they earn in prize money. In your system the gap between the top two leagues is still ludicrous and you've done nothing to fix the problem. Can you not see how much damage that is doing to the football pyramid?

If you divide the equal share between all of the clubs equally then every club receives just under £20 million each and as above I vehemently disagree that this would do anymore damage to the pyramid than either your system or the current system. It would make the Premier League and EFL actually competitive again and keeps clubs further down the pyramid alive. However I would fully support spreading the revenue to the lower reaches of the football pyramid if that is what you desire. There would of course have to be a cut off at some point, but providing more money across the pyramid would not bother me in the slightest.

On 09/07/2022 at 10:10, GenBr said:

You can't give a team in League Two the same amount as Man Utd when they're the ones drawing the audience. 

They have to share equally with Brentford now, which is already far too much, so I don't think they would be happy with a bigger cut of their earned revenue going to teams who don't earn it - quite frankly.

The EFL is a different question, but I do think that's reasonably fair, considering how often the Championship is on TV over League One. I think Leagues One and Two should be allowed to organise their own TV rights as it would like garner a bigger pot for them.