Song for next season

StantonRam

5 hours ago, whaley bridge Ram said:

Best not give to much stick out to the smaller clubs we could end up with egg on our chops , like we sang we will be back in 81 away at Cambridge 

Maybe we could try a different tactic and celebrate the proper football of League One? Fellow ex-Premiership dinosaurs like us and smaller clubs on the up like Forest Green and Cheltenham.

"They docked us 21 points

But we don't give a fck

Forest Green are vegan

Forest owned by a crook"

Too Sunderland, Bolton, Charlton etc..."Where were you when you good?"

Im sure we could make this old classic work....

To the tune of the Red Flag (the Rioch, Rioch, song to the old lads.......)

Hello Hello how do you do

We are Derby, who are you?

The EFL are ducking sh!te

We hate the boys in red and white,

We'll sing a song of victory

we'll sing a song in harmony

while traitors scoff and cowards sneer

We'll keep the Rams flag flying here

OK, I obviously wasn't clear before.  Apologies.

"We won't be here long" is a reference to not being in League 1 for long, i.e. only one season.

Either I overestimated people on here or there are some very literal minded folks around.  Or both.

4 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

OK, I obviously wasn't clear before.  Apologies.

"We won't be here long" is a reference to not being in League 1 for long, i.e. only one season.

Either I overestimated people on here or there are some very literal minded folks around.  Or both.

I certainly thought that kind of song would go down like a lead balloon in League 1. We have to keep expectations low until we at least get clear of the aftermath of administration. Allot of us remember the misplaced optimism of "we'll be back in '81". Let's not go down that road again. 

18 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

"We won't be here long" is not a criticism of anyone.  For example, if Everton got relegated to the Championship they would be singing the same thing, where's the sense of humour guys?

One thing you cant accuse Derby fans of is not having a sense of humour. The song is not critical of anyone but its entitled and arrogant

1 minute ago, ColonelBlimp said:

We could confuse the opposition and sing their songs with them.

Join in with their chants about their own rivals.

Could be fun and we'd make a lot of friends instead of pi55ing other fans off with a  'bigger than you' mentality. 

Combine it with "XYZ is a nice place, can I buy your house?" and I reckon they'd be throwing their panties at us. 

Oooooh, "entitled and arrogant" eh?  I can't let that pass without a reply.

Just as, in the real world, some people are richer or more charismatic than others, so in the football world some clubs are bigger than others.  It's just a fact.  Some clubs overachieve relative to their size, level of support, previous successes and available budget, well done to them.  Others underachieve relative to those factors and infuriate their fans as a result.

Therefore, I see no "entitlement" or "arrogance" in the observation that we are bigger than Forest Green Rovers.  They have overachieved, well done to them.  We will be in League 1 because we underachieved, not so much on the pitch but in the boardroom.

"We won't be here long" criticises no one.  It is a prediction or an aspiration, take your pick.  I would be prepared to put money on the proposition that, if any of the PL teams who usually reside in the top half were one day relegated to the Championship (and it does happen and it has happened), their fans would probably sing something similar, and be entirely justified in doing so.

Part of the modern Zeitgeist seems to be that acknowledging the reality of any kind of inequality is viewed as being the same as either morally approving of that inequality or wanting to make that inequality even worse.  It is NOT the same.  Plus, it's only football folks, get some perspective already!

If we would be "arrogant" for singing that song in the context in which we will be operating next season, when ON THE PITCH we do not deserve to be in League 1, then it seems that the "politics of envy" are alive and well.

You are entirely "entitled" to critique my suggested song lyrics, and you have your opinion and that's fine.  On the other hand, there is reality. 

The last time I looked, football was, erm, a competitive sport, with league tables and knockout cup competitions etc.  Or is that a bit too Darwinian for modern people?

Have to agree with the OP's sentiments.
Confidence over cockiness.

So many examples that we are all "guilty" of joining in at some stage... most often not coming to fruition!

Songs about us about to win the cup/going to Wemberley/win the league/"Up the Football League we go" etc... "and now you're gonna believe us"!

We've literally spent all season perfecting our new anthem about being Derby County, and... erm... staying up!  It seems we're not, after all. 

It's a song.  It's fun... and let's face it, if it doesn't come to fruition, it is us that end up with egg on our faces, so we're potentially harming nobody but ourselves.

Let's make it fun.  We deserve a bit of that, don't we?  

2 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Just as, in the real world, some people are richer or more charismatic than others, so in the football world some clubs are bigger than others.  It's just a fact.  Some clubs overachieve relative to their size, level of support, previous successes and available budget, well done to them.  Others underachieve relative to those factors and infuriate their fans as a result.

Therefore, I see no "entitlement" or "arrogance" in the observation that we are bigger than Forest Green Rovers.  They have overachieved, well done to them.  We will be in League 1 because we underachieved, not so much on the pitch but in the boardroom.

"We won't be here long" criticises no one.  It is a prediction or an aspiration, take your pick.  I would be prepared to put money on the proposition that, if any of the PL teams who usually reside in the top half were one day relegated to the Championship (and it does happen and it has happened), their fans would probably sing something similar, and be entirely justified in doing so.

Part of the modern Zeitgeist seems to be that acknowledging the reality of any kind of inequality is viewed as being the same as either morally approving of that inequality or wanting to make that inequality even worse.  It is NOT the same.  Plus, it's only football folks, get some perspective already!

If we would be "arrogant" for singing that song in the context in which we will be operating next season, when ON THE PITCH we do not deserve to be in League 1, then it seems that the "politics of envy" are alive and well.

You are entirely "entitled" to critique my suggested song lyrics, and you have your opinion and that's fine.  On the other hand, there is reality. 

The last time I looked, football was, erm, a competitive sport, with league tables and knockout cup competitions etc.  Or is that a bit too Darwinian for modern people?

Here’s the issue - we don’t know who is going to be playing for us next season. We hope and assume some of the players currently with us will, but there are no guarantees. Heck, we don’t even know if we will start on 0 points or -15 yet. We don’t know if Rooney will even be here, or given the ability to bring in the players he wants.

I’m glad to feel the optimism that has started to show its head the past couple of weeks. But we’re a long way from knowing just how good a team we will have to suggest we are going to walk the league.

If we top at the end of August, that song will be a great addition to the selection for the south stand. If we’re floundering lower mid table and losing to Forest Green on a Tuesday night…well, let’s just wait and see where we’re at. It’s not the worst song suggestion in the world. 

5 hours ago, LondonRam2 said:

Three seasons in, it'll be rightly ridiculed by oppo fans, as would "we're bigger than you" (VERY "Forest", that one). 

Sing what you want by all means, but I won't be joining in. Defiance is fine, arrogance isn't, in my book.