Rooney shouldn’t be allowed to bring in the players he wants

turbo

13 minutes ago, Yani P said:

We should have started this year's ago..the moneyball strategy..makes total sense..

As weird as it sounds, I think the strategy in the last few summers (the Bielik and Joswiak ones in particular) has kind of been right. One big signing who we think can be a difference maker (the 2 names above), a few experienced signings on frees or minimal fees (Marshall, Byrne, Kazim, te Wierik, Shinnie etc) and some loans to fill the gaps.  Obviously a lot of those signings didn’t actually work out, but the principle was right.

The more I hear from Rooney, the more I'm encouraged that he should be trusted with the responsibility for recruitment and given a budget.

I doubt this will be that popular an opinion but I see similarities between him and Nigel Clough (yes I was a fan). A real passion for the club, a desire to build a football club (as opposed to just a team) and a clear idea of the kind of character he wants in his players. This is what we need, it's a unique opportunity to take all the positives from this season and build in that image.

I think Rooney has good (much better) people around him and more of a positive approach to the game. He's earned the right to build the club he wants in my opinion.

And he'd never take a Director of Football nor does he need one.

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Okay I’m sure if it’s workable in the majority of cases in English football, you can name all the successes in ENGLISH FOOTBALL. ?

Southampton, Norwich, Brentford, Liverpool, Brighton, Crewe.... Shall I go on? Or is that enough for you? The DoF system does and can work in english football, it's a shame that you seem to narrow minded to see that and dismiss that particular setup based purely on it "does not work in the english game".

Edited by DanS1992

13 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Southampton, Norwich, Brentford, Liverpool, Brighton, Crewe.... Shall I go on? Or is that enough for you? The DoF system does and can work in english football, it's a shame that you seem to narrow minded to see that and dismiss that particular setup based purely on it "does not work in the english game".

Are you confusing Technical Director with DOF? 

According to Kirchner the recruitment team was disbanded during the cutbacks. No loss whatsoever in my humble opinion as that has been our failure that put us in this mess.

That means that for the immediate future we will have to rely on WRs judgement and contacts.

Not ideal by any means but that’s the situation we are in and we’ll sink or swim depending on how well he does with recruitment.

32 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Are you confusing Technical Director with DOF? 

Nope, Technical Director, Sporting Director and DOF are pretty much the same thing bar a few things here and there. What they all have in common is heading up recruitment. I just feel that since our history concerning recruitment has been dire for a while, maybe sometime in the future this system could be the way to go. It has worked well for others, I don't see why it couldn't for us.

I think the title makes it a bit nonsensical. There will always be discussions plans between the manager and whoever is responsible for managing the recruitment process (it doesn't really matter what they are called).

The manager for example will lay out the key attributes of a potential player who will add whatever it is the manager wants adding to the team. It is up to the recruitment team headed by whatever you want to call them to produce alternatives for discussion with the manager.

It is not going to work with players being dumped on the manager. 

31 minutes ago, DanS1992 said:

Nope, Technical Director, Sporting Director and DOF are pretty much the same thing bar a few things here and there. What they all have in common is heading up recruitment. I just feel that since our history concerning recruitment has been dire for a while, maybe sometime in the future this system could be the way to go. It has worked well for others, I don't see why it couldn't for us.

Ok. All I’ll say is we had a DoF …. Twice! 

Murdo MacKay and Chris Evans. 

I think if we get the takeover done soon and we bring in a whole host of new players, we need to prepare to have some massive flops. Not because I don't trust Rooney to recruit, but just because that's what signing players is like. Win some, lose some.

By the same token, we should see some real quality bargains come in. But prepare yourself for some legendary dross

Oh and sorry, on the technical director question, Steve McClaren. That's all you need. Was/would have been perfect for that role.

Thanks for your time, hope that's that debate put to bed because there's really no better option right now if we're set on getting someone in shortly

15 hours ago, turbo said:

Might be an unpopular opinion but if the takeover all goes smoothly then I hoping we go about things differently.

The successful model applied by the majority of successfully promoted clubs involves a football director who overseas a team that delivers recruitment based on the clubs blueprint for success. The idea behind this is that if the manager leaves or is shown the door you are not left with a group of players that the next manager doesn’t want so you have to start out all over again, you need to be able to keep consistency if a piece of the cog is taken out of the club.

Whether finances will allow the club to run like this I don’t know

Don’t disagree with your thrust at all but I would guess the understanding between CK, Stretford and Rooney is very firmly that Rooney will make the decisions 

23 hours ago, Ramchop said:

I suspect the first team loans/signings will be Rooney's. 

Out of interest though, if we don't have a recruitment team, who signed Ebiowei, Plange etc? I want them signing the u23s

That would have been Morris’s Step Son. 

The club need a style of play and buy players to suit it. Because when Rooney goes and we get a dif manager it wont work. For example when we had Rowett he got a tune out of em cause he played defensively and didn't constantly play out from the back. And thats why we struggled after him to play out from the back. If you get in a manager that plays out from the back and plays Tika taka style football but youve got gret big lumps that cant play that well it wont work will it ?