World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

10 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I certainly remember at school, so early 80s at the latest, the law was "whole of the ball across the whole of the line" 

I remember if we complained(late 60s early 70s)at school a 30 minute stint in detention was on the cards, 100 lines, Never argue with the school master ?

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

I love statistics but it really has gone mad in football. A graphic showing how fast the ball was turning (rpi) for one of the Argentinian goals ??‍♂️.

I don’t mind seeing the stat of the speed of the ball when it’s an absolute thunderbolt. But that Messi shot was specifically a thing of beauty cos he passed it into the back of the net. The sleds at which he passed it is of no interest whatsoever. But I suppose they have to justify these new balls. 

19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

If Ronaldo played in the same team as Messi, he’d score 100 goals a season.

Messi regularly creates clear cut chances for his teammates and they duff them.

He needs a Haaland or Ronaldo to play off. Not a Higuaín or Martinez. 

Wow, haaland and messi. That would be scary. 

disnt any of the super rich clubs ever try to get ronaldo and messi in the same team. That would’ve been something to see.

maybe they’ll do it one day when they both retire to Saudi Arabia. 

26 minutes ago, Srg said:

The whole bbc studio were at full mast watching Messi walk for 98% of the game against a championship calibre side. 

It's bizarre. We get it, he's one of the all time greats but they were fawning over him and that goal he scored as if it was something we had never seen before. Well I must have been missing something because if any other player scores that they don't bat an eyelid. 

Edited by Rammy03

8 hours ago, Norman said:

No way are you being serious.

Absolutely serious, Norman. The ‘overhanging’ test is far harder to apply than the ‘more over than not test’

imagine you were a lino last season when Nathan Byrne sent one of those on high in -swinging passes up the line to Knight. You think the ball might have crossed the line 25 feet above your head. 

do you fancy answering the question: was it still overhanging the line? Or would you rather answer the question : was it more in than out? 

10 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Absolutely serious, Norman. The ‘overhanging’ test is far harder to apply than the ‘more over than not test’

imagine you were a lino last season when Nathan Byrne sent one of those on high in -swinging passes up the line to Knight. You think the ball might have crossed the line 25 feet above your head. 

do you fancy answering the question: was it still overhanging the line? Or would you rather answer the question : was it more in than out? 

That makes no sense. How are you able to answer one question if your not able to answer the other? Without goal line technology around the whole pitch it would be a judgement call either way.

Anywhere else and no one really loans about it that much, because a throw in rarely decides a game. In this case, the goal line cameras happened to pick it up, and it did matter, so they were able to make a more informed decision.

But 9 times out of 10, without scrutinising every time the ball goes out, it’s always going to be a judgement call, whether it’s the whole ball or half the ball.

Even if it was half the hall, in this situation, if the ball was only half over the line, you’d have to forensically analyse if it was exactly half, or just over, or just under. Which would be much more difficult to do, because in super slo mo the shape of the ball is always changing. The rule is this so that, plane and simply, there has to be daylight between the circle of the ball, and the line, from an over head view. No daylight, balls not out.

(it’s how the offside rule should be really, it would be a lot less open to interpretation). 

7 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

it’s always going to be a judgement call, whether it’s the whole ball or half the ball.

At the risk of repetition   I’m simply saying I think one is easier to judge than the other. 

(Not least because if you look at a moving ball you tend to look at the centre not the sides)