World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not wishing to consciously divert in any way from the crux of the topic, but one comment within that twitter-thread(?) stated...

I’d love to get one of these for my 25% Welsh and 100% bi son...

Now, I'm no expert on the subject... nor a mathematician, to be fair... but is it even possible to be 100% bi?  ?‍♂️

Doesn't the very meaning of the term "bi" suggest there's an element of 50/50 in there somewhere?  confused-no.gif

12 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

For theirs it was a clear and significant shirt tug holding him back from the header. No question it was a pen.

For ours, while Maguire was probably wrestled to the ground he's a big lad and was wrestling back and had an arm all around the defender, so it could be argued he'd created the situation and gone down looking for the penalty. Absolutely no need and, as a result, the VAR officials couldn't give the pen. We've got to be cleverer in those situations.

Nope, their player is wresting Maguire from the off. Maguire lifts his left arm up as a way of manoeuvring around him and avoid it being pinned against him whilst their player has two arms around his waist and not looking at the ball.

As much as it didn't matter in the end, and it felt like it was given as a consolation penalty. I hope refs are more consistent when there is more at stake on a game.

2 minutes ago, WamRam said:

Nope, their player is wresting Maguire from the off. Maguire lifts his left arm up as a way of manoeuvring around him and avoid it being pinned against him whilst their player has two arms around his waist and not looking at the ball.

As much as it didn't matter in the end, and it felt like it was given as a consolation penalty. I hope refs are more consistent when there is more at stake on a game.

It mattered to that bloke that lost £1250. 

Edited by TigerTedd

58 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not wishing to consciously divert in any way from the crux of the topic, but one comment within that twitter-thread(?) stated...

Now, I'm no expert on the subject... nor a mathematician, to be fair... but is it even possible to be 100% bi?  ?‍♂️

Doesn't the very meaning of the term "bi" suggest there's an element of 50/50 in there somewhere?  confused-no.gif

What's the difference between a Bi son and a Buffalo, You can't put a Buffalo in your sink Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

8 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Argentina awarded a penalty for the same as happened to Maguire who didn't get a penalty...Confused.com☹️

Do you remember the England v Egypt game in the last World Cup the Egyptians were wrestling the England players to the ground. About time they clamped down on all the holding during corners however, the rules do need to be applied fairly.

Am I insane, or would the offside rule work a lot better if it was that as long as part of your body is onside, then you’re onside. If you’re clever enough to lean your body in, then you shouldn’t be punished for that.

it was always meant to be that the attacker is given the benefit of the doubt, to encourage more goals and more exciting games. But there now isn’t any doubt to play with. It’s black and white. But that ends up robbing the spectators of two great goals in this game. 

2 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Am I insane, or would the offside rule work a lot better if it was that as long as part of your body is onside, then you’re onside. If you’re clever enough to lean your body in, then you shouldn’t be punished for that.

it was always meant to be that the attacker is given the benefit of the doubt, to encourage more goals and more exciting games. But there now isn’t any doubt to play with. It’s black and white. But that ends up robbing the spectators of two great goals in this game. 

I'd prefer it, although it'd just shift the annoying decision by about a meter and a half.

9 minutes ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

Do you remember the England v Egypt game in the last World Cup the Egyptians were wrestling the England players to the ground. About time they clamped down on all the holding during corners however, the rules do need to be applied fairly.

Yes and the Columbians digging for gold when we were awarded a penalty ?

My confusionism(is that a word)is there is/will be one rule for some and no rules for others...

Argentina just had a 3rd goal ruled out for offside...World Cup run by VAR Lionel Messi Football GIF by FC Barcelona

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

As the rule stands now the attacker just has to ensure that all of his body is behind the defender.  If he hasn't managed to do that he's offside.  It's not difficult.

16 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

As the rule stands now the attacker just has to ensure that all of his body is behind the defender.  If he hasn't managed to do that he's offside.  It's not difficult.

I get it. But I think it results in fewer goals and duller games. So many arguments about toe offside, a shoulder offside. It would be far less of an issue if we were talking about a toe onside, or a shoulder onside, and would allow strikers to be more creative about how they break the line or steal a few inches. Like a baseball player stealing a couple of yards before they get to their next base.