What is your favourite breakfast?

Eddie

This is mine...

666208540_20220327_124447Brekky.thumb.jpg.f7117f93d009af1e91a4458926d9d823.jpg

Croissants, topped with smoked bacon, mushrooms and cheese and a generous dusting of nutmeg.

The mushrooms are fried in butter and Worcestershire Sauce with black pepper and a dash of dark soy sauce. The cheese is a little grated Emmental.

Butterfly the croissants and lightly toast the backs, cook everything, flip the croissants over, add a rasher of bacon to each, pile on the mushies, add the cheese, back under the grill for a minute, dust with nutmeg, serve.

Lovely. I won't be able to move until beer o'clock.

Edited by Eddie

Hard to beat the Full English that sticks to the irrefutable laws of breakfasts (that I made up) as follows:

At least two sausages, maybe three if you're gluttonous or have done/will be doing some manual labour within a week.

Two rashers of bacon, not underdone but not so crisp it breaks your teeth. Bit of fat on, but never streaky, you're not Canadian.

Two fried eggs, lovely crack of black pepper over the top of them at the table. Poached allowed only if you're at a fancy place, in which case why aren't you ordering Eggs Benedict, you heathen? You don't belong in a place like this. Scrambled allowed only if you're a lorry driver or roofer. Boiled egg (yes I've seen it)? Have a word with yourself. Any place that overcooks the eggs should be added to your personal blacklist.

One ladle of baked beans. No cup, no side bowl and never placed directly next to the egg.  Use the sausage as a breakwater (Aha!)

Half a grilled tomato. If you're from Burton on Trent and use tinned tomatoes, for the love of God take a trip to somewhere more cultured. Like Derby. If you're from Swad and call it "Splash", go to Burton first. Take a long look in the mirror if you question the inclusion of the tomato, order it but leave it on the side of your plate, or worst of all try to swap it out for more beans.

One grilled portobello mushroom, no extra accoutrements like parsley or herby butter thank you very much.

One thick slice of quality black pudding. Enjoy all that iron and try not to think what's in it. Get it from Bury if you can.

One slice of thickly cut toast and butter OR Fried Bread. Never both, you bleeding carb loader you.

No hash browns, no tomato ketchup (use the beans you moron), and no poncey additions of token salad leaf. This isn't healthy, don't try and pretend it is. Brown sauce for the sausage and bacon if you consider yourself Northern.

Do not order if outside of England, else expect delights such as cucumber and cress (Amsterdam), cured ham (Spain) and pickled onions (Copenhagen) to adorn your plate.

If I'm making it I just have Cocoa Pops instead.

Edited by JoetheRam

56 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The OK Diner, my brother used to work there.

Absolutely pointless story I know.

I knew the name of it but wasn't sure if I could mention it because perhaps there are rules on here about advertising, but as you are now a mod I guess it must be 'OK' ! ☺️

?

On 27/03/2022 at 13:41, Eddie said:

This is mine...

666208540_20220327_124447Brekky.thumb.jpg.f7117f93d009af1e91a4458926d9d823.jpg

Croissants, topped with smoked bacon, mushrooms and cheese and a generous dusting of nutmeg.

The mushrooms are fried in butter and Worcestershire Sauce with black pepper and a dash of dark soy sauce. The cheese is a little grated Emmental.

Butterfly the croissants and lightly toast the backs, cook everything, flip the croissants over, add a rasher of bacon to each, pile on the mushies, add the cheese, back under the grill for a minute, dust with nutmeg, serve.

Lovely. I won't be able to move until beer o'clock.

Even as a vegetarian I can appreciate how tasty it must be. As I used to tell my Y6 class, the difference between a good job and a great job is attention to detail!! ?

3 hours ago, Miggins said:

?

Even as a vegetarian I can appreciate how tasty it must be. As I used to tell my Y6 class, the difference between a good job and a great job is attention to detail!! ?

I reckon it would be just as scrummy with different types of mushrooms replacing the bacon. I may try that next week if the Memsahib is well enough. How does this sound...

Fry some more exotic mushrooms (say shiitake, porcini if possible, oyster etc) in a little butter and soy sauce, bake a couple of Portobello mushrooms in the oven for 15 minutes, stick them on top of the croissants, crumble a little blue cheese over them, under the grill for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese, runny poached egg on top, sprinkle of paprika - I'm drowning in my own drool here.

43 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I reckon it would be just as scrummy with different types of mushrooms replacing the bacon. I may try that next week if the Memsahib is well enough. How does this sound...

Fry some more exotic mushrooms (say shiitake, porcini if possible, oyster etc) in a little butter and soy sauce, bake a couple of Portobello mushrooms in the oven for 15 minutes, stick them on top of the croissants, crumble a little blue cheese over them, under the grill for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese, runny poached egg on top, sprinkle of paprika - I'm drowning in my own drool here.

Sounds delicious!

I don't often cook mushrooms as Mr. Miggins cannot eat them and is slightly allergic to them!! They make him very poorly!

But this sounds delicious.

Hope that the Memsahib is well soon !!

Edited by Miggins