British Lads in Foreign National Teams

JfR

I believe both Rush and Giggs had the chance to play for England (I think Giggs did at U-?? level) but turned it down. The likes of Barnes and Dorigo - fair point, but they were living in the UK at the time, I'm more saying (genuinely) that Jack Charlton was one of the first to actively go looking for players who had no obvious affiliation to Eire. It was a great move, copied by many Caribbean islands, and now common place in the likes of rugby and cricket. Certainly isn't a trend that favours the smaller countries in the long run - Fijian rugby can vouch for that.

And, again, chance for me to roll out a random rant. Football managers should be judged by the same rules as players - they should come from the same country as they manage (maybe some allowance for developing nations).

22 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

I believe both Rush and Giggs had the chance to play for England (I think Giggs did at U-?? level) but turned it down. The likes of Barnes and Dorigo - fair point, but they were living in the UK at the time, I'm more saying (genuinely) that Jack Charlton was one of the first to actively go looking for players who had no obvious affiliation to Eire. It was a great move, copied by many Caribbean islands, and now common place in the likes of rugby and cricket. Certainly isn't a trend that favours the smaller countries in the long run - Fijian rugby can vouch for that.

And, again, chance for me to roll out a random rant. Football managers should be judged by the same rules as players - they should come from the same country as they manage (maybe some allowance for developing nations).

The Giggs thing is a myth. He played for England schools as he went to school in England but was never available to play for England. 

Terry Butcher I believe was born in Singapore. God knows where Owen Hargreaves was born. 

On 15/03/2022 at 10:16, Mostyn6 said:

The Giggs thing is a myth. He played for England schools as he went to school in England but was never available to play for England. 

Terry Butcher I believe was born in Singapore. God knows where Owen Hargreaves was born. 

Hargreaves - born in Canada, lived in Germany for 10 years, played for Wales U19... then played for England

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/04/2022 at 12:39, alexxxxx said:

Tomori could have been in the world Cup squad for Canada but instead fails to get a look in for the England squad, even though he's first choice for Milan.

You can see why players do it.

Should at least have been looked at by Southgate and given a chance in a friendly. 

Kyle walker still our only pace at the back and he's knocking on. 

We'll be stuck with Maguire et al until we come up against some nippy forwards and they get the runaround.....