Wordle

uttoxram75

Yes, I've been dragged in. Not failed yet (famous last words) - 47/47.

I prefer Nerdle - you have 6 guesses to determine a mathematical equation containing 8 terms or numbers, e.g.

7x7+7=56

Another good one is Quordle - you have 9 guesses to determine 4 5-letter words (and believe me, it usually takes 8 or 9 to get them all).

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

I prefer Nerdle - you have 6 guesses to determine a mathematical equation containing 8 terms or numbers, e.g.

7x7+7=56

Another good one is Quordle - you have 9 guesses to determine 4 5-letter words (and believe me, it usually takes 8 or 9 to get them all).

I’ve been doing worlds and quordle. Got dragged in by my work mates. 

7 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Anyone doing it.

Not bothered me.

It can feck right off today though.........

Are you talking about the one ending in ATCH? Could be hatch, latch, catch, match etc. Absolute pain in the arse ones like that, I ran out of guesses, and no clue to get the right one other than guessing. Stupid game. 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

7x7+7=56

Daily Quordle #47
7️⃣4️⃣
5️⃣8️⃣
quordle.com
??
???
????
?????
??
???
?????

? ??
?? ?
?? ?
?? ?
????? ?

?????

Who needs 9 goes, pfft!! I think I’m getting the hang of it now.

(of course as soon as I commented on what a stupid game it is, I immediately went off and played it). 

5 hours ago, Eddie said:

7x7+7=56

Nerdle, I like it. Damn you!!!!!!

nerdlegame 52 3/6

????
????
????????

I’ll stop spamming now before David sends me to Tedd’s Wordle thread. 

Not sure what's going on, so did a little Googling...

Folk are/were complaining about having to take wild guesses on the first letter of a 5 letter word ending "ATCH" (Due to the numerous options).  Some even claim to have got those 4 letters on their first line.

Complaints about guesswork over intelligence... but isn't that first line a complete random guess anyway, each and every time? ?‍♂️

I've something similar (Identical?) on my phone.

I've just checked and played for the first time in a week or so.
My stats read (past tense) 145 games played.  97% success.  Win streak of 3.

Delving further, the stats showed 7 wins on the second line, 48 wins on the 3rd, 50 on the 4th, 29 on the 5th, and 7 on the 6th and final line.

Thus far, I've (randomly) seen 4, 5, and 6 letter words (no idea whether the app does longer words).  Don't recall any letters being repeated in the same word, or plurals.  Is this the same thing?

...I then decided to play, and correctly guessed "TRAIN" on the first line!  My first one!  But the emphasis was very much on "Guess"!  It doesn't make me intelligent!  

Edited by Mucker1884

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I've something similar (Identical?) on my phone.

I've just checked and played for the first time in a week or so.
My stats read (past tense) 145 games played.  97% success.  Win streak of 3.

Delving further, the stats showed 7 wins on the second line, 48 wins on the 3rd, 50 on the 4th, 29 on the 5th, and 7 on the 6th and final line.

Thus far, I've (randomly) seen 4, 5, and 6 letter words (no idea whether the app does longer words).  Don't recall any letters being repeated in the same word, or plurals.  Is this the same thing?

...I then decided to play, and correctly guessed "TRAIN" on the first line!  My first one!  But the emphasis was very much on "Guess"!  It doesn't make me intelligent!  

There are tactics. If you have a good starting word, rather than just randomly guessing a word, it helps.

apparently Orate is a very good starting word. And if that doesn’t work, then Fluid is a good second word. Then you’ve eliminated all the vowels and a lot of popular consonants, in two guesses. You’ve got a pretty good chance of getting it in 3 or 4 guesses then (unless it ends in ATCH). 

you also learn that certain letters just can’t go together, so they sort of eliminate themselves. If you’ve in got one vowel, there are only certain combinations of conservante that will work (like ATCH). 

and you can have plurals and repeated letters. POPPY was a nightmare. It’ll tell you’ve got P right and in the right place, but won’t tell you that there are others. Which I think is sneaky. 

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

Not sure what's going on, so did a little Googling...

Folk are/were complaining about having to take wild guesses on the first letter of a 5 letter word ending "ATCH" (Due to the numerous options).  Some even claim to have got those 4 letters on their first line.

Complaints about guesswork over intelligence... but isn't that first line a complete random guess anyway, each and every time? ?‍♂️

I've had similar where I've picked up 4 on the first go and there are several alternatives. What I would then do in those circumstances is use a 'tactical' guess - one that uses up a few of the possible alternative letters without using any of the 'already gots'.

e.g. in the above *ATCH, and BCHLMPW being available, I would probably go for 'BLIMP'. If I get a hit, then at least I've got it in 3. If not, at least I've reduced the possibilities.

Been doing it awhile (71 days it says)

I don't get the competitiveness and the constant need for people to share their daily scores online

It's literally a guessing game and your daily score is always one of chance dependent on how many letters you get right on the first 2 gos, In the end it only really tests how many 5 letter words you can think of. 

I'd be interested to look at the average distribution of scores after 100 games. As it stands I have scored 5 the most (23), then 3 (20) and then 4 (14) with only 8 going to 6 guesses and 5 flukey 2s

I suspect most people's distribution will be similar

38 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I've had similar where I've picked up 4 on the first go and there are several alternatives. What I would then do in those circumstances is use a 'tactical' guess - one that uses up a few of the possible alternative letters without using any of the 'already gots'.

e.g. in the above *ATCH, and BCHLMPW being available, I would probably go for 'BLIMP'. If I get a hit, then at least I've got it in 3. If not, at least I've reduced the possibilities.

Good tactic. I should’ve tried that. I’ll often go for Fluid as a second guess, even if I’ve got a couple of letters in Orate. It’s about eliminating as many letters as possible in as few guesses as possible, otherwise you end up chasing your tail using up guesses on just eliminating one letter at a time. 

46 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Been doing it awhile (71 days it says)

I don't get the competitiveness and the constant need for people to share their daily scores online

It's literally a guessing game and your daily score is always one of chance dependent on how many letters you get right on the first 2 gos, In the end it only really tests how many 5 letter words you can think of. 

I'd be interested to look at the average distribution of scores after 100 games. As it stands I have scored 5 the most (23), then 3 (20) and then 4 (14) with only 8 going to 6 guesses and 5 flukey 2s

I suspect most people's distribution will be similar

My tally...

1. 0
  2. 3
  3. 17
  4. 18
  5. 6
  6. 3