The Ukraine War

Day

54 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Apparently it's come from one of his 4 top advisors who gave the info saying they are not identified, As long as they can keep the land they have stolen, Now waiting for 4 Russians to fall out of high rise hotels 👍

Going to be interesting to see how his followers spin things, they’ve spent years complaining about Russian speakers being victimised in Ukraine. 

Now there’s huge numbers of Ukrainians stuck in occupied Ukrainian territory!

Feels like a forgotten war to me. The largest attack on a European state since WW2 and heading towards a 3rd year with seemingly no end in sight. I wonder how this and the reaction of those supporting it will be viewed in years to come?

5 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

Feels like a forgotten war to me. The largest attack on a European state since WW2 and heading towards a 3rd year with seemingly no end in sight. I wonder how this and the reaction of those supporting it will be viewed in years to come?

Media apathy...imo, Gaza has taken the headlines, Worldwide protests, Mass killings, USA president desperate for this to end, While there "was" the same in Ukraine only a few months back 🤷‍♂️

Russia take Ukraine villages, Ukraine fight back, Putin has one of his homes burned down, Ukraine struggling for fighters, Russia fooling foreigners with good paying jobs only to find themselves fighting in a War, Western leaders giving Ukraine arms that will go deep into Russia, Ukraine bomb the Crimea ports and destroy Russian ships, Russia threatening NATO with WW3, North Korea/China backing Putin, Russia paying Western citizens to spy on their homeland are all in the media...but you have to look for it.

It's "forgotten" in the main by those who are in the media...but not those who would like to live in a World that could just get along with each other...ie World Leaders 🙄  

49 minutes ago, Ram-Alf said:

Media apathy...imo, Gaza has taken the headlines, Worldwide protests, Mass killings, USA president desperate for this to end, While there "was" the same in Ukraine only a few months back 🤷‍♂️

Russia take Ukraine villages, Ukraine fight back, Putin has one of his homes burned down, Ukraine struggling for fighters, Russia fooling foreigners with good paying jobs only to find themselves fighting in a War, Western leaders giving Ukraine arms that will go deep into Russia, Ukraine bomb the Crimea ports and destroy Russian ships, Russia threatening NATO with WW3, North Korea/China backing Putin, Russia paying Western citizens to spy on their homeland are all in the media...but you have to look for it.

It's "forgotten" in the main by those who are in the media...but not those who would like to live in a World that could just get along with each other...ie World Leaders 🙄  

I don’t think it’s forgotten by the media more a case of not enough space to fit it in. They’ve got to find room for the stories about Prince Harry and Taylor Swift (not together obviously 😀) somehow.

Seriously though, the media reports what it thinks its viewers and readers want to see and read. If news about the relative stalemate in Ukraine is trumped (pun intended) by other by other news in their minds then updates on the war are bound to be pushed down the pecking order.

I do read, hear about Russia/Ukraine most days. 

I may be wrong, but I think generally most people are pretty clear about their position on the war. You've got the loons but nobody is giving them the time of day. 

You have those who think the Putin has a lot of valid points. But even those are mostly against his action in Ukraine. 

So it's not really controversial. Ukraine good - Russia bad. There's no outrage, no hysteria. 

In Gaza/West Bank you have a lot of different positions. You have the position of large amounts of populations being opposed to the position of their governments. When Putin was labeled a war criminal and arrest warrants were issued there were no complaints (loons not included). Now that's different to the reaction we've seen from the Gaza/West Bank/Israel war. 

Controversy sells. You can run with the stories all day long and clickbait with the war in the Middle East. 

I wonder if that's the main reason Ukraine seems to be less front and center 

The BBC are actually doing a decent job of covering both conflicts I think, and have regular pieces from Ukraine even if no dramatic progress is being made by either side. I don't check too many other news media to see whether or not Ukraine is being reported on regularly, but I think both Sky and Al Jazeera do. Where I suspect the topic does often fall off the main pages is in the tabloid print media which many working people still rely on, and that's probably because those outlets are always looking for new stories, not stories about stalemates and the fine detail of diplomacy etc.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a god damn meat wave...life is so cheap for Putin 🙄

Russia suffered 'astronomical' losses during Kharkiv offensive - report

The Russian advance on Kharkiv came at a "high price" for its troops, a NATO official has told European Pravda. 

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said: "Russia likely suffered losses of almost 1,000 people a day in May, which is quite an astronomical figure." 

They were referring specifically to fatalities. 

Russian forces have advanced less than 10km into Ukrainian territory and have not taken control of the city of Vovchansk. 

The US defence secretary earlier said Russia's advance was slowing and the frontline stabilising, partly thanks to countries lifting restrictions on Ukraine's use of donated weapons on Russian territory. 

10 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

It's a god damn meat wave...life is so cheap for Putin 🙄

Russia suffered 'astronomical' losses during Kharkiv offensive - report

The Russian advance on Kharkiv came at a "high price" for its troops, a NATO official has told European Pravda. 

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said: "Russia likely suffered losses of almost 1,000 people a day in May, which is quite an astronomical figure." 

They were referring specifically to fatalities. 

Russian forces have advanced less than 10km into Ukrainian territory and have not taken control of the city of Vovchansk. 

The US defence secretary earlier said Russia's advance was slowing and the frontline stabilising, partly thanks to countries lifting restrictions on Ukraine's use of donated weapons on Russian territory. 

Yep 1000 a day is where the estimates have been at. Include huge tank, apv and artillery losses and you can see the increased support from the US and EU coming through allowing Ukraine to stabilise the front line after long period of ammo shortage.

Interesting that Putin throws out a peace proposal today, on the eve of the Swiss peace forum to try and destabilise it.

The demand for four regions of Ukraine and the promise never to join NATO, is like a next door neighbour burgling your house and telling you they won’t steal from you again as long as you let them keep the stuff they stole, give them some of your garden and leave all your doors and windows open in future.

3 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Yep 1000 a day is where the estimates have been at. Include huge tank, apv and artillery losses and you can see the increased support from the US and EU coming through allowing Ukraine to stabilise the front line after long period of ammo shortage.

Interesting that Putin throws out a peace proposal today, on the eve of the Swiss peace forum to try and destabilise it.

The demand for four regions of Ukraine and the promise never to join NATO, is like a next door neighbour burgling your house and telling you they won’t steal from you again as long as you let them keep the stuff they stole, give them some of your garden and leave all your doors and windows open in future.

There's an old saying that be both know..."don't bite off more than you can chew" that 4 week invasion that would lead to a victory for Putin has turned into 28 months of misery for both Ukraine and Russian families.

I just wonder if Putin realises now that the corner is getting closer for him to back out of, He needs an option to save face but I don't think there is for him, Interesting to see Armenia pulling out of the CSTO, He sure knows how to lose friends 👌

18 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Great analogy.

It's perhaps significant also that, since the US Senate turned the funding tap back on and allowed Ukraine to target the weapons provided on Russian forces massing the other side of the Russian border, the progress of Russian forces in their latest offensive has ground to a halt. 

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

Great analogy.

It's perhaps significant also that, since the US Senate turned the funding tap back on and allowed Ukraine to target the weapons provided on Russian forces massing the other side of the Russian border, the progress of Russian forces in their latest offensive has ground to a halt. 

Well I didn’t mention the thousands of dead civilians and military, the fact that they had an agreement in the past that was ignored by the aggressor neighbour………oh and the fact that the neighbour also kidnapped children and held them captive in their spare room.

But other than those minor details, there’s a few similarities 

Edited by Ramarena

30 minutes ago, ramit said:

I wish he were wrong, but sadly this is probably an accurate analysis.

Support peace, not war.

Maybe he could tell his mate to turn the train around and get it back inside it's own borders?

All that is required for peace is for the aggressor to go home.

7 hours ago, Crewton said:

Maybe he could tell his mate to turn the train around and get it back inside it's own borders?

All that is required for peace is for the aggressor to go home.

You really believe that? 

The western powers want to do away with competition, they will not stop their aggression towards Russia and China.

7 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Christ if the Ukraine aint a real disaster WTF is 🙄

It is, but this can get a lot worse and spread into Europe.

Do we support that conclusion? 

This madness must stop.