Thoughts on latest group of youngsters

TheHomunculusLives

It seems the conveyor belt of Academy talent into the first team is continuing to be productive - partly due to our current circumstances I know, but I'd be interested in others' thoughts on whether some of the latest graduates have what it takes to establish themselves at Championship level (assuming we either stay up or return quickly).

We know now that Bird, Knight and Buchanan are established Championship standard players, perhaps with the potential to go further. 

Do guys like Ebosele, Dylan Williams, Thompson, Plange and Cashin have the same potential, based on what you've seen of them so far?

Really good to see this current crop coming through. For me Thompson is the one I most enjoy seeing. Comfortable and confident on the ball and has that bit of bite about him. Real potential. 

As for the rest you mention, Ebosele is still very raw, being used as a utility player can either help or hinder him. I didn’t think Monday was his greatest game, he got very lucky on one occasion when he got the wrong side of him. Exciting to see him going forward. 

Williams will be better than Buchanan imo, I’d happily go with him and Fozzy next year. 

Plange definitely has something about him and if he can’t learn off Rooney then he will never make it. Like the look of his all round game though. 

I haven’t seen enough of Cashin to comment, very much in the mould of Bucko. Was lucky Mon not to see red but I love a player who plays with that kind of edge to him. Just getting the fine balance right.

We are very lucky to have these kids coming through. We are also lucky with the experienced Pros we have in the squad to guide them through. Couldn’t think of many better mentors than Rooney, Rosenior, Jags, Curtis, CKR. Between then all the must have seen it all throughout their careers. 

First time I saw Plange, he didn’t seem to know what he was supposed to be doing so he has a lot to learn like challenging the centre half’s, knocking them off balance and basically irritating them rather than watching them easily head the ball away - watch videos of Paul Dikov and David Speedie for guidance 

9 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

First time I saw Plange, he didn’t seem to know what he was supposed to be doing so he has a lot to learn like challenging the centre half’s, knocking them off balance and basically irritating them rather than watching them easily head the ball away - watch videos of Paul Dikov and David Speedie for guidance 

Where did Duncan go? Is he still here or has he gone the home of bewildered North West former starlets yet- Tranmere Rovers

Think they are lucky in what is a dire situation, some of these players may never have been given a chance before being released. 

Early days for them all, but there's a lot of promise and potential available to Rooney, my concern is next season.

There is shades of the McClaren 13/14 season with this team, fans appear to be more together than in recent years and the players are going out there and smashing expectations. 

Whilst relegation is almost a certainty, they are playing a huge role in giving us that small glimmer of hope, a reason to look at the table and question could we.

This is a special group of players though, a team. Really is and we are fortunate to have them in this battle.

Next season we will be the team to beat and a completely different situation for these players, that's not being arrogant, they will be kicked about and know they are in a battle with players that are not as talented, remains to be seen how they will cope both physically and mentally.

Pride Park will be the "cup final" for many that have never reached the heights we have seen.

If we start the summer with a new owner in place, no embargo, no points deductions, the pressure will be on, something they will not have faced as a team as this season nobody expects us to survive, we've all come to terms with relegation so they haven't had to play in a negative atmosphere that we know is only a few bad results away when expectations from the stands weigh heavy on the players shoulders.

Good discussion as we have a tendency to go overboard hyping youth products. I'll qualify my opinion by saying I fully support them all and for those I have doubts I desperately hope to be proved wrong. I will also say I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about and neither does anybody reading this. 

Ebosele - Very exciting to watch. Has the uncanny knack of coming out with the ball despite not seemingly knowing what he is doing when attacking. Think he will be a full-back in future as he defends well and is a great additional attacking threat.

Thompson - Very tidy and energetic. Think he'll be a solid Championship player. 

Plange - Too soon to tell.

Cashin - Even less evidence to go on. Reckless challenge reminds me of Jamie Hanson though. 

Williams - Looks limited going forward, very one-footed, decent defensively. At 18 though I suspect he has been fast-tracked as there is more than meets the eye.

I think the fact some of these kids have been thrown into the 1st team fold with some very good veterans in the squad to help them. It's all got to help and probably improved them faster than previous accademy players we have had in the past who never got achance or to step up. It's going to help the club in the next 2 or 3 seasons if we can at least see 75% of them improving and staying with the club, I do fear that we might lose one or two in the transfer window, I fear the vultures are circling on the likes of Buchanan and Knight.

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

Ebosele - Very exciting to watch. Has the uncanny knack of coming out with the ball despite not seemingly knowing what he is doing when attacking. Think he will be a full-back in future as he defends well and is a great additional attacking threat.

This view is very annoying, he is a skilful football with lots of pace. Too many only see the pace and think the rest is luck.

11 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

This view is very annoying, he is a skilful football with lots of pace. Too many only see the pace and think the rest is luck.

He is clearly not without skill but using it effectively and making the right choices is what sets quality players apart. He does regularly run into players but he also goes past many and draws fouls and players towards him. I suspect he lacks the composure and decision making ability to make it at the very top as an attacking player. I very much hope I'm wrong and we can argue the toss on this but only time will tell how good he will be. I'll meet you back here in 7 years time and we will see who is right!

5 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

... I suspect he lacks the composure and decision making ability to make it at the very top as an attacking player. I very much hope I'm wrong and we can argue the toss on this but only time will tell how good he will be. I'll meet you back here in 7 years time and we will see who is right!

You weren't saying that in your original post. 'Not seemingly knowing what he is doing when attacking' is what you said.

I disagree. However I did not qualify it with whether I thought he'd be a Prem player or better in the future like you've just added.

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You weren't saying that in your original post. 'Not seemingly knowing what he is doing when attacking' is what you said.

I disagree. However I did not qualify it with whether I thought he'd be a Prem player or better in the future like you've just added.

I think anybody who plays professionally has some idea of what they are doing so I would not take that comment literally. Having skill and making the right choices with it are very different things. 

The OP had mentioned about whether we think our youngsters will establish themselves at Championship level or not and I think it's worth commenting on where we think they'll end up. I suspect that Ebosele will be League 1/2 level. I would also say that any academy product that makes a career as a professional footballer at any level is very successful as most do not. 

6 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I think anybody who plays professionally has some idea of what they are doing so I would not take that comment literally. Having skill and making the right choices with it are very different things. 

The OP had mentioned about whether we think our youngsters will establish themselves at Championship level or not and I think it's worth commenting on where we think they'll end up. I suspect that Ebosele will be League 1/2 level. I would also say that any academy product that makes a career as a professional footballer at any level is very successful as most do not. 

Festy is a young lad, already decent enough Championship player with loads of potential to improve. I think in 3 years he could well be a Premiership player…..