PODCAST INTERVIEW: Quantuma

Evening all

We've had a 20-minute conversation this afternoon with Derby's administrators Quantuma, which is out now as a podcast.

Chris spoke at length to Quantuma CEO Carl Jackson to get an update on Derby County's administration process and the quest to find new buyers for the club.

In their first non-club interview since Derby's -21 points deduction was confirmed, we discussed a number of key issues with the administrators, including how Derby's process has been compared to other companies they deal with (2:06), which interested party is furthest along in the takeover process (9:06), how likely it is that Derby may have to sell players in January (14:55), and how they feel about fans' fears of the club being liquidated (18:48).

There are a few nuggets in there (ie, Quantuma were contacted by a new potential bidder as recently as this morning) but some issues which clearly Carl Jackson can't get drawn on in detail.

Anyway - hope you find it interesting.

Cheers
Chris

Could go ‘well into January’ is a real concern.

The length of the creditors list is also an issue because I think they need to do a deal with 75% of them if they are to avoid a Phoenix deal. 

Kirchner is trying to discourage other buyers with his twittering. Why don’t the admins have a problem with that ? I think they should tell him to turn the volume down. 

An  interesting question is how much influence Rooney has. He wants ‘Chris’ to get it - that’s clear. But if someone else offers more, the deal with HMRC is likely to mean the admins have to take the higher bid. Could see it getting very messy if CK is not the highest 

11 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Annoying thing is that we will end up paying Boro & Wycombe something as otherwise they will drag it on & cost us a takeover so we will just pay them to shut them up even though they deserve F all

Not actually that concerned about either claim. Firstly, Wycombe's grievance should be aimed at the EFL as it was the timing of the points deduction that they are upset about...which was outside our control. Highly unlikely to even make court & suspect any new prospective new owner would tell them to do one. A promotion for them this season would also shut them up I suspect.

Middlesbrough would have real difficulty proving we directly cost them Premier League revenue but in the unlikely event it did make it to court, a new owner wouldnt be too alarmed given we could in turn sting both QPR & Villa for the same, especially as the claim would be more proximate (i.e. beaten in a playoff final rather than finishing 7th). There's little chance of us settling out of court with Boro therefore.

The biggest hurdle I believe for getting new ownership is coming to an agreement with HMRC & quickly.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

5 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not actually that concerned about either claim. Firstly, Wycombe's grievance should be aimed at the EFL as it was the timing of the points deduction that they are upset about...which was outside our control. Highly unlikely to even make court & suspect any new prospective new owner would tell them to do one. A promotion for them this season would also shut them up I suspect.

Middlesbrough would have real difficulty proving we directly cost them Premier League revenue but in the unlikely event it did make it to court, a new owner wouldnt be too alarmed given we could in turn sting both QPR & Villa for the same, especially as the claim would be more proximate (i.e. beaten in a playoff final rather than finishing 7th). There's little chance of us settling out of court with Boro therefore.

The biggest hurdle I believe for getting new ownership is coming to an agreement with HMRC & quickly.

They won't even take us to court, the EFL have confirmed in one of the Ramstrust meetings that disputes between clubs are to be resolved via an independent arbitration panel. I'm not concerned about either of these frivolous claims, other than it wasting valuable time of the administrators.

41 minutes ago, Carnero said:

They won't even take us to court, the EFL have confirmed in one of the Ramstrust meetings that disputes between clubs are to be resolved via an independent arbitration panel. I'm not concerned about either of these frivolous claims, other than it wasting valuable time of the administrators.

I don't even think it needs to waste their time particularly.

They can outsource it to a reasonably cheap local solicitor to send rebuttal letters outlining the flimisness of their claims. Then rinse & repeat until & if the 2 clubs actually bring a court action...which as you say isn't going to happen. No need to correspond or negotiate directly with either club, they're an irrelevance ìn the grand scheme of things.

Can deal with independent arbitration panel if & when it happens (far past a sale in any case given usual timelines) but suspect wouldn't happen anyway as it won't provide the 2 clubs with the money they're trying to extort & we've already agreed our finalised 'punishment' with the EFL.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

No matter how spurious the claims I don't think this fantasy idea of prospective new owners telling them to 'do one' washes.

It has to be taken seriously, and it will have to be sorted one way or another before a takeover happens. 

The difference between Boro vs us and Us vs QPR etc (at least in Gibson's mind) will be the belief that we deliberately tried to disguise our real financial position whereas other clubs haven't.

We should know by know that whatever sound logic we come up with for how we should be dealt with, reality rarely follows the path we think it should.

Regardless, the talk of the money is just a distraction; time is our enemy, they know this just as the EFL knew this.

Gibson couldn't give a toss if he only gets his £500 back, as long as the threat of millions is there nobody is finalising a deal for the club.

36 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

No matter how spurious the claims I don't think this fantasy idea of prospective new owners telling them to 'do one' washes.

It has to be taken seriously, and it will have to be sorted one way or another before a takeover happens. 

The difference between Boro vs us and Us vs QPR etc (at least in Gibson's mind) will be the belief that we deliberately tried to disguise our real financial position whereas other clubs haven't.

We should know by know that whatever sound logic we come up with for how we should be dealt with, reality rarely follows the path we think it should.

Regardless, the talk of the money is just a distraction; time is our enemy, they know this just as the EFL knew this.

Gibson couldn't give a toss if he only gets his £500 back, as long as the threat of millions is there nobody is finalising a deal for the club.

Completely disagree.

Firstly, Gibson isn't doing this to frustrate the sale of the club. He doesn't want Derby liquidated, he just wants money off us to recompense him & his club for a perceived disadvantage. By submitting the claim now, he is hoping to spook the administrators into agreeing out of court so tying the hands of new owners & as a football creditor, getting all the agreed money.

Secondly, the legitimacy of the claim is a key part of how you deal with it. If the case were strong, then yes it would need engaging with properly but this isn't a strong claim & your suggestion that it needs sorting pre-sale is exactly what will unnecessarily delay a sale. Therefore, we push back on him & Couhig. All prospective new owners will be aware of the situation - I would be astonished if any of them consented to the administrators  'paying them off' to keep Boro/Wycombe happy knowing the money is coming out of their pockets. 

Lastly & like I said earlier, should Middlesbrough take this to court it would open up a similar claim for us v QPR (as per your post, what Gibson thinks here is irrelevant). Agreeing out of court would jeopardise the opening up of the arguments that would skewer QPR ultimately.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

The courts might agree with Gibson though. We can pretend to know how proceedings would go based on our own assumptions and internal logic but how many times has logic kissed our cheek and slapped us around the back of the head already?

We'll see what happens, but I suspect all loose ends will be tied up before we're taken over.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

I would imagine the most Middlesboring would be awarded is the home takings for the semi final. There could be no no guarantee they would beat Leeds, so the best they can be given is actually progressing to the play offs. £40m odd is based on them actually winning the playoffs. Again not guaranteed.

26 minutes ago, Coconut's Beard said:

The courts might agree with Gibson though. We can pretend to know how proceedings would go based on our own assumptions and internal logic but how many times has logic kissed our cheek and slapped us around the back of the head already?

We'll see what happens, but I suspect all loose ends will be tied up before we're taken over.

You're comparing an independent civil  law court with the highly compromised & agenda driven EFL resolution process. And like i said, a Middlesbrough victory in court would open up a stronger case for Derby v QPR.

The focus needs to be on HMRC & other creditors, thats the sticking point here. Time wasted trying to placate these chancers or money promised to keep them quiet will jeopardise a sale & our future.

Edited by LeedsCityRam