Derbyshire CCC - Mickey Arthur Appointed

Mihangel

8 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

We’ve been handed a 2 point deduction because McKiernan’s bat failed to go through a bat gauge due to tape around it against Hampshire ?‍♂️ 

Just seen the statement - authorities state that he didn't realise he'd made it too big by taping it but that it is the cricketer's responsibility to ensure that his equipment is 'legal' - and then they penalise the club! - they're as crap as the EFL.....

48 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Just seen the statement - authorities state that he didn't realise he'd made it too big by taping it but that it is the cricketer's responsibility to ensure that his equipment is 'legal' - and then they penalise the club! - they're as crap as the EFL.....

I wonder how much tape he had wrap round it to make it too big ?. Seems a bit OTT when there’s been no other issues and they generally give out suspended deductions first.

8 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

I wonder how much tape he had wrap round it to make it too big ?. Seems a bit OTT when there’s been no other issues and they generally give out suspended deductions first.

Can't have little old Derbyshire beating some of the 'bigger' clubs - better give them a points penalty to make sure they don't win anything.....

5 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

How weird is that. Can’t see how the tape would give the batter an advantage only make it easier to get an edge. 

Not weird at all.

Surely everyone knows that the maximum width of a bat is 4.25" and has been so for over 200 years, since a player for Rygate walked out to bat with a piece of willow wider than the wicket?

10 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not weird at all.

Surely everyone knows that the maximum width of a bat is 4.25" and has been so for over 200 years, since a player for Rygate walked out to bat with a piece of willow wider than the wicket?

Mattie seemingly didn’t ??

I was thinking about the tape rather than the bat . Meaning that it would be a disadvantage to the batter as it would probably not give them a power advantage but maybe more chance of giving a catch off the edge ? 
Also surprised that it was the club that was punished and not the player.   I expect there will be a lot of bat checking going on now. Good spot by the Umpires . 

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

The punishment for this infringement does seem totally out of proportion to the crime. Have Derbyshire commented at all? 

As follows Angie 

Derbyshire County Cricket Club has received a two-point deduction after the Club admitted to a charge relating to its Royal London Cup match against Hampshire on Friday 12 August.

All-rounder Mattie McKiernan was charged and accepted a breach of Directives 3.2 and 3.3 of the Directives of the ECB after he used a cricket bat which failed a bat-gauge test during and after the match. This was due to excessive tape being applied to a bat which itself conformed to regulations.

An Adjudicator of the Cricket Discipline Commission (CDC) considered McKiernan’s clean record and apology and accepted that it was an unintentional breach of the ECB Directives.

Adjudicating, Ricky Needham decided that the offence, while committed unintentionally, must be dealt with on a strict liability basis, in that it is entirely the responsibility of a cricketer to ensure that the equipment being used conforms to the laws of the game.

The two-point penalty is imposed immediately to the club’s Royal London Cup tally.

3 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I expect there will be a lot of bat checking going on now. Good spot by the Umpires . 

Between Tom Wood’s inhaler and Mattie McKiernan’s tape, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mickey Arthur has held a meeting regarding accountability and making sure absolutely everything is as it should be.

9 minutes ago, rammieib said:

The level of punishment here seems very severe. Its one of those which makes you wonder if the same level of punishment would have applied to one of the big counties as well.

They've set themselves a precedent though for the future.

Well, some counties are yet to be punished for their institutionalised racism, so......

10 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Well, some counties are yet to be punished for their institutionalised racism, so......

On this subject (ish) I tend to follow Leicestershire when it comes to cricket, who were kicked out of this season’s Blast due to Naveen bowling two waist high no balls and Lilley giving a bit of chat to Jimmy Neesham.

You’ll never guess who the beneficiaries were…

2 hours ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Wonder why the Umpires, if they noticed it before Mattie faced a ball , didn't just ask him to change his bat after checking ?

I do actually remember it happening, as the live stream showed the umpire checking the new bat. Might have been  one ball and he was asked to change it.

2 hours ago, nottingram said:

On this subject (ish) I tend to follow Leicestershire when it comes to cricket, who were kicked out of this season’s Blast due to Naveen bowling two waist high no balls and Lilley giving a bit of chat to Jimmy Neesham.

You’ll never guess who the beneficiaries were…

Yeah even though that was for repeat offending, and I think there was a suspended deduction or something? The timing was ridiculous. Durham also racked up 7 penalty’s before their point deduction, which is why us getting the deduction on a first offense just seems unbelievablly harsh.