Alan Nixon Breaks Silence on American Billionaire Bid

Kernow

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

Agree.  It's typical Maguire for me.  Should carry the title as the biggest poo stirrer in football. all in his own interests.  Anyone in for this club will know the position - the Admins will have laid it all out.  Nothing ought to be a surprise now - he's just regurgitating clickbait stuff to gain more followers.  Maybe wrong but wasn't he one of the key players in kindly pointing out our amortisation policy to the EFL?  Like you say, I'm sure Morris said he'll forego the money.  And who's the "we're certain".  Not sure who he's referring to there?

Mel's loans I believe are unsecured which means he does not get a bean. The administrators have almost but not quite said if the new owner pays off dell then they get the stadium and again Morris gets nothing

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

I'm sorry but that sounds just like Mel Morris, and we know how that ended.

The big thing for me, is that while Morris seemed to have a vision of where he wanted the club to be, he just didn't have the footballing knowledge to actually make it happen, or the willingness to relinquish day-to-day control to someone that did.  The "Derby Way" stuff is exactly what we should be aiming for, but having announced it to the world, Morris then did everything he could have possibly done to make sure it never happened.

2 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The big thing for me, is that while Morris seemed to have a vision of where he wanted the club to be, he just didn't have the footballing knowledge to actually make it happen, or the willingness to relinquish day-to-day control to someone that did.  The "Derby Way" stuff is exactly what we should be aiming for, but having announced it to the world, Morris then did everything he could have possibly done to make sure it never happened.

I will always think not knowing much about football somehow he ended up with all the wrong people around him. He did not choose the way if amortization as he is no accountant. Somebody suggested that way and said it was ok to do it (SP?). Mel went along with it. As for players bought does anybody think Mel went out and found them? He just took somebody else's advice. Big change with Rooney as manager is that HE is the one selecting players , players that fur into a team that plays the way he wants. Years ago the manager chose the players and had success. Brian somebody or other, long may Rooney continue down that path

4 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

They hired McClaren, almost got promoted, didn't nearly go bust.

Took over a PL club, spent a load of money on the wrong manager, got relegated, wasted what little parachute payments there were at the time on that same manager, cut the funding as a result of their own wastage leading to years of near sedentary progress, a downturn in levels of support and a general feeling of malaise amongst many supporters.

Can't really pretend they left us in a better state than they found us, we'd just become conditioned by failure by our PL season and subsequent slump in the Championship return season to lower expectations. The huge squad/wage bill that the spell under Clough sought to rectify happened under their ownership (when Adam Pearson was chairman)

The McClaren appointment went well, but it was still only an almost and the longer standing legacy of Mel Morris wasting money on Rush's Wasserman clients haunts us to this day.

Oh and they also played a major role in the introduction of FFP / P&S which nobody aside from relegated PL teams really seems to have benefited from, and we've fallen so foul of since.

Edited by Coconut's Beard

10 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

I will always think not knowing much about football somehow he ended up with all the wrong people around him. He did not choose the way if amortization as he is no accountant. Somebody suggested that way and said it was ok to do it (SP?). Mel went along with it. As for players bought does anybody think Mel went out and found them? He just took somebody else's advice. Big change with Rooney as manager is that HE is the one selecting players , players that fur into a team that plays the way he wants. Years ago the manager chose the players and had success. Brian somebody or other, long may Rooney continue down that path

I think Lampard chose his own players too. Very badly apart from the loan signings. Some of our signings may be due to Rosenior too, like CKr maybe.

54 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

He's still parading the line about HMRC having to be paid 100% of what we owe them too, despite extensive explanations from the administrators last weekend about them negotiating with HMRC about how much we're going to actually pay.

Exactly - the bloke's acting a right Gibson. 

2 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Morris was certainly in charge of picking the managers, and the repeated lurches from footballing-type to long-ball-type (Clement-> Wassall->Pearson->McClaren->Rowett->Lampard etc) was the root of a lot of our problems. And if those managers had been given completely free-reign over signings, we'd be in an even bigger mess.

And even if he wasn't picking the players himself (and I have doubts about that in a few cases), he was certainly in charge of setting the parameters of the signings (do we want experienced players, youngsters, big money signings etc).  And he certainly had the ability to say 'no' to a few signings (Malone for one should never have happened, and probably Johnson and Butterfield too).

The big issue was the complete disconnect between all the moving parts. We wanted a route from the academy into the first team, but we kept appointing managers who didn't want to play kids, who kept playing a completely different style to the academy teams, and we kept signing big money players who blocked the path for youngsters.  Get all the parts moving in the same direction and it doesn't really matter who's picking the players, because everyone is moving together.

If someone like Kirchner comes in who (whatever other successes he's had), knows very little about the actual mechanics of running a football club, I really hope they just appoint someone knowledgeable to run the football side of things and leave them to it.

3 hours ago, PistoldPete said:

"We're uncertain"? Who is we? Who is Maguire speaking for? Then he says "You don't pay £56 million for  a league One club". Again who is "you"? Isn't Maguire just  a bit up his own bum?   

He talks out his arse. He doesn’t know his left from his right the dimwit. Going on about Morris and the 25 percent and we are uncertain. It’s been mentioned 20 times Morris is giving that up . Then he keeps going on his podcasts about this 50 odd million for a league one club and bring paid in full. How many times has it been mentioned we are doing a deal with hmrc and they won’t be paid in full. Also he’s going on about Paying the full amount for no stadium. The 20 million to msd is for the stadium. Nobody listen to him.

Edited by angieram
Remove personal insults

15 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

Must have been financial manager / Stephen Pearce. I think industry standard is looked at for amortisation policy so why did Derby do something different? 
At least we have a team of battlers this season and it could actually work out ok in League1 as long as there is still a club by then. 

Edited by TheresOnlyWanChope

Would an option be for the administrators to create a plc and float shares with the various interested parties buying parts so Derby ended up multi-ownered and a board of directors with a chairman. Appoint a chief executive to run day to day.

Would also be possible in the future for supporters to buy shares if they wished.

Could tie in with the future of football under a regulator, etc.

14 minutes ago, I know nuffin said:

And that's exactly what I interpret from what Rooney's said about his vision for Derby - he knows what he wants, what type of player he wants here - and we're starting to see it, with youth and some aging players brought in on the cheap because that's all he has available.  He's made it publicly known his vision is shared by CK and I do wonder if there's a deal been privately agreed between the two that if CK gets in, he provides Rooney with complete autonomy around recruitment and the team.   And of course money once everything's done and dusted. Rooney knows the game better than most, has massive respect, has many contacts and I think is far more savvy than many give him credit for.  CK is a businessman first and foremost, forging a rapidly growing company, who also knows what he wants.  He also loves sport - all sports.  It feels a good match to me.   Just gut feel of course.  End of the day the Admins will decide. 

13 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

He talks out his arse. He doesn’t know his left from his right the dimwit. Going on about Morris and the 25 percent and we are uncertain. It’s been mentioned 20 times Morris is giving that up . Then he keeps going on his podcasts about this 50 odd million for a league one club and bring paid in full. How many times has it been mentioned we are doing a deal with hmrc and they won’t be paid in full. Also he’s going on about Paying the full amount for no stadium. The 20 million to msd is for the stadium. Nobody listen to him he’s a complete ??

But nobody knows what the deal with HMRC is going to be, let's be honest. They may well insist on the vast majority of the debt being paid, and from a moral perspective, you'd expect them to chase unpaid taxes from all those who don't pay. I know the administrators have mentioned that discussions are ongoing with HMRC, but no figures have been mentioned. There may be a deal to be done, but do you or I know whether that is 99% of the outstanding debt or less? I just don't think we do, and it wouldn't surprise me if HMRC decide to flex their new status as preferred creditors. 

3 minutes ago, Maharan said:

But nobody knows what the deal with HMRC is going to be, let's be honest. They may well insist on the vast majority of the debt being paid, and from a moral perspective, you'd expect them to chase unpaid taxes from all those who don't pay. I know the administrators have mentioned that discussions are ongoing with HMRC, but no figures have been mentioned. There may be a deal to be done, but do you or I know whether that is 99% of the outstanding debt or less? I just don't think we do, and it wouldn't surprise me if HMRC decide to flex their new status as preferred creditors. 

But Maguire isn't talking about how good or bad the deal potentially is. He's saying that legally we *have* to pay 100%, which is just plain wrong.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

The thing is, he gambled (with our clubs future) and failed. If we’d managed to get over the line when we came close versus QPR (and to a much lesser extent againstVilla)and we’d somehow managed to remain in the prem, we’d all still be singing “he’s one of our own”. I’m not blaming the fans, none of us had any real idea of the level of risk he was accepting (not helped of course by Covid which he couldn’t have predicted).

29 minutes ago, Maharan said:

Even if Hmrc demanded  it all to be paid at £1 in £1 who is to say they will demand it all up front? Saying you are paying £56 million as the price of the club is just misleading.

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

The thing is, he gambled (with our clubs future) and failed. If we’d managed to get over the line when we came close versus QPR (and to a much lesser extent againstVilla)and we’d somehow managed to remain in the prem, we’d all still be singing “he’s one of our own”. I’m not blaming the fans, none of us had any real idea of the level of risk he was accepting (not helped of course by Covid which he couldn’t have predicted).

He wasn’t in charge when we lost to QPR.

Whilst Wayne Rooney is doing very well with the hand he's been dealt, I think if Mel was still here investing that he would be pressing for the signing of more experienced players, just as every previous manager has done.

And he will be asking a new investor to do the same. 

We can see "jam tomorrow " from him bringing academy players through, but as soon as a new owner is in place it will be back to "jam today!" From fans and manager.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

But Maguire isn't talking about how good or bad the deal potentially is. He's saying that legally we *have* to pay 100%, which is just plain wrong.

Well legally I'd have thought the club should be paying 100%, but I do understand what you're saying. Hopefully there is an acceptable deal to be made.