We always get poo refs.

Gritstone Ram

He was quite poor last night, but probably didn’t look that bad in comparison to some of the absolute dross we have had recently.  

I guess we can no longer expect refs to see obvious two handed shoves in the back which send players flying or free kicks and throw ins being taken remotely where they should have been, or foul throws (us and them), or booking people for cynically grabbing someone’s shirt when they’re about to break, or being remotely consistent about what constitutes a foul in the first place. To be fair, all fairly minor things but they add up.

I agree the ref had no bearing on the result, but he only might’ve looked OK because the overall standard is so poor.

31 minutes ago, LazloW said:

He was quite poor last night, but probably didn’t look that bad in comparison to some of the absolute dross we have had recently.  

I guess we can no longer expect refs to see obvious two handed shoves in the back which send players flying or free kicks and throw ins being taken remotely where they should have been, or foul throws (us and them), or booking people for cynically grabbing someone’s shirt when they’re about to break, or being remotely consistent about what constitutes a foul in the first place. To be fair, all fairly minor things but they add up.

I agree the ref had no bearing on the result, but he only might’ve looked OK because the overall standard is so poor.

I’m not into all the EFL conspiracy rubbish about referees but what was blatantly obvious last night was the inconsistency of what constitutes a foul. 
luton would what looks like to most commit a foul yet play would go on, seconds later Derby would do something pretty much identical and the referee would stop the play. 
I think the strangest bit of play was second half where a luton player committed a foul and was allowed to go on for a good 3 or 4 seconds with the ball and pass it on , and suddenly something seem to click in the referees mind that it was a foul, fair play for bringing it back but why let Play carry on , Derby didn’t even have the ball so we can’t even use the advantage was given as an excuse . 
like I said certainly not the poorest refereee this season I’ve seen seen but still shockingly poor. 

Ref was poor, but feel like Luton have more to complain about than us. Anytime Byrne was under pressure, he dived down towards the ball and the ref fell for it. Seemed all night that all a player had to do was appeal for it, especially in defensive positions, and the ref would give the free kick. 

13 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

Ref was poor, but feel like Luton have more to complain about than us. Anytime Byrne was under pressure, he dived down towards the ball and the ref fell for it. Seemed all night that all a player had to do was appeal for it, especially in defensive positions, and the ref would give the free kick. 

Did you miss the Luton forwards jumping into the backs of Derby defenders all night? If you did, don't feel bad, because the referee and his assistants did too.

13 minutes ago, ben_dcfc said:

Agreed. There were a couple of occasions when me and the folk around me were chuckling at how Byrne managed to “win” free kicks. I know forwards are often clumsy tacklers but it seems these days, all the defender needs to do is get their body between the forward and the ball and then go down under the slightest challenge.

Its the no brainers like the visible two handed shoves that get me more than anything. That and inconsistent yellow cards. Last night we did ok on the cards. 

It must ebb and flow, I doubt any foul play but we need the pendulum to swing our way for the next game or two, we’ve not been lucky that’s for sure. 

Looking at the foul and yellow count, Derby are the stand out team in the stats. We're towards the bottom of the foul count and 3rd in the yellow card count. Most of the league commit 6-8 fouls per yellow, Derby are way out on their own at only 4.3 fouls per yellow card. 

Last night, there was a typical incident, Lawrence had beaten his man and was charging into space about 30 yards from goal, he was blatantly pulled back by the defender who then after the free kick was given, kicked the ball away, both nailed on yellow card offences. The ref didn't even have a word with him.

In the matches that I've seen this season, I believe that the cards given to Derby players have been warranted, the problem is that the opposition players seem to get away with murder. This then restricts the Derby players' actions for the rest of the game whereas the opposition just carry on fouling at will.

Biggest thing for me is the inconsistency.  I think most, if not all our bookings have probably been deserved, but what's getting me is that when opposition players are doing similar, it's either going un-booked, or, in several cases it's not even been classed a foul.  It's no wonder there's conspiracy theories over it as it's annoyingly obvious.  And to be fair to a lot of us on here, who are all rightly biased toward Derby, I think we're looking at this through objective eyes, not sour grapes.  All I ask for is consistency from the officials, but we're not getting anything like it.  

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

Looking at the foul and yellow count, Derby are the stand out team in the stats. We're towards the bottom of the foul count and 3rd in the yellow card count. Most of the league commit 6-8 fouls per yellow, Derby are way out on their own at only 4.3 fouls per yellow card. 

Last night, there was a typical incident, Lawrence had beaten his man and was charging into space about 30 yards from goal, he was blatantly pulled back by the defender who then after the free kick was given, kicked the ball away, both nailed on yellow card offences. The ref didn't even have a word with him.

In the matches that I've seen this season, I believe that the cards given to Derby players have been warranted, the problem is that the opposition players seem to get away with murder. This then restricts the Derby players' actions for the rest of the game whereas the opposition just carry on fouling at will.

Great info. I always think when I have a moan .. that I am just moaning, but then you see your stat on cards per foul .. we are biased but we aren’t mugs ?