Derby - city of Culture 2025?

1 hour ago, Bob Mash said:

Culturally, Derby needs something to liven it up. The city seems to be dying on it's ass and that's without mentioning the football. Without a central venue, Derby seems a bit soulless. The Assembly Rooms really is missed. 

Derby as always be dying on it's ass. Over time our city fathers have managed to demolish most of the city's historical buildings, while managing to replacing them with eyesores and buildings not fit for purpose.

Whenever any new project is announced, the plans put forward look exciting but what we usually end up with is a cut back version of the original concept due to budget constraints.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

Derby as always be dying on it's ass. Over time our city fathers have managed to demolish most of the city's historical buildings, while managing to replacing them with eyesores and buildings not fit for purpose.

Whenever any new project is announced, the plans put forward look exciting but what we usually end up with is a cut back version of the original concept due to budget constraints.

i like the Quad, but a new assembly rooms with bar, restaurants, gig space and some other leisure facility like indoor golf or a multi games venue

Cutting down hundreds of trees at the back of the hospital back in April as the birds were nesting and turning some of the oldest glasshouses in the country into a car park resulting in having 10 years of a city centre bereft of so much as a begonia in a basket as a result due to external costs from a supplier. Not a great start.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

2 of which aren't even cities.....

County Durham can't win - it'd be too confusing to have a County win a title meant for a City

Southampton won't win because it's in the affluent south-east and the Tories need to convince the red wall that they honestly do care about the North (even though they don't)

Which gives Bradford a good chance - culturally diverse, would again play well for the Tories to appear to be supporting multiculturalism

But Wrexham will almost certainly win, as we've had two English winners, so they have to throw Wales a bone here

7 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The Assembly Rooms was a soulless brick mausoleum 

Its horrible. However, its got some kind of protection order on it I think, as a perfect example of a brutalism design. The Quad on the other side looks equally weird in my opinion as does the massive orange sun glare contraption in the middle of Friar gate and the prison looking thing that they built as cheap as possible dominates the area round Queen Street.  In the meantime, the old John Flamsteed/ Whitehurst house at the top of the hill falls into complete disrepair.  As one of the Cities, probably the Midlands most relevant buildings, I'm sure the disregard for it would impress any panel.  I expect more beauty to replace the art deco Debenhams.

10 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Its horrible. However, its got some kind of protection order on it I think, as a perfect example of a brutalism design. The Quad on the other side looks equally weird in my opinion as does the massive orange sun glare contraption in the middle of Friar gate and the prison looking thing that they built as cheap as possible dominates the area round Queen Street.  In the meantime, the old John Flamsteed/ Whitehurst house at the top of the hill falls into complete disrepair.  As one of the Cities, probably the Midlands most relevant buildings, I'm sure the disregard for it would impress any panel.  I expect more beauty to replace the art deco Debenhams.

I like the Quad but yes we have let a lot of old buildings fall into disrepair. 

The worst damage was done in the 60s and 70s I think.

15 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I almost forgot the delights of the Handyside bridge on Friargate- the only one he ever built.  Has it still got netting all over it to stop pigeons nesting- read stop chunks falling off and hitting cars- An absolute disgrace that.  The council solution to maintaining it seemed to be drilling holes in the metal to drain off water last time I looked.

8 minutes ago, sage said:

Yep a lot of clearance in the 60's under a planning law that any building retaining war damage of any kind could be removed.  The  assembly rooms building sits on the site of Erasmus Darwins old house - I believe the façade was retained and is at Crich Tram museum- and a pub around the same age as the Dolphin.

On 10/11/2021 at 17:43, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Cutting down hundreds of trees at the back of the hospital back in April as the birds were nesting and turning some of the oldest glasshouses in the country into a car park resulting in having 10 years of a city centre bereft of so much as a begonia in a basket as a result due to external costs from a supplier. Not a great start.

Cutting down load of tress at bass Rec now too. So much for saving the planet.

On 19/03/2022 at 10:26, Stive Pesley said:

County Durham can't win - it'd be too confusing to have a County win a title meant for a City

Southampton won't win because it's in the affluent south-east and the Tories need to convince the red wall that they honestly do care about the North (even though they don't)

Which gives Bradford a good chance - culturally diverse, would again play well for the Tories to appear to be supporting multiculturalism

But Wrexham will almost certainly win, as we've had two English winners, so they have to throw Wales a bone here

You clearly haven't visited Southampton recently..... Actually it has areas of quite hight deprivation. 

• 2 months later...