World Cup Tournament every two years

FIFA global head of football development Arsene Wenger proposes holding the World Cup every two years rather than the current four year interval. This would mean a World Cup or European championship every summer and potentially no club football in October whilst international qualifiers are played. 

A controversial proposal already seeing opposition. Interesting though and could it work? 

Edited by Monty
Add word

18 minutes ago, Monty said:

FIFA global head of football development Arsene Wenger proposes holding the World Cup every two years rather than the current four year interval. This would mean a World Cup or European championship every summer and potentially no club football in October whilst international qualifiers are played. 

A controversial proposal already seeing opposition. Interesting though and could it work? 

No thanks. Total overkill.  The extension of the tournaments has made it more of a switch off anyway.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't really see it working.

I think there's two things going on, 1 international football feeling displaced by top club football and also FIFA looking at the Euros (and equivalent) and thinking "why don't we just make that money by having more world cups?"

Cue Jurgen Klopp and Guardiola wanting the FA cup removed from the calendar, as the players can't possibly cope with the rigours of sticking 8 past Azerbaijan an additional 3 times a year to qualify, not with a champions league programme on top.

I never thought i would say that but it is at the point that we need less football not more. Pointless qualifiers against countries the size of a small town, CL qualifiers against the champions of Lalaland, Europa league for the teams finishing above the relegation places. Less is more, stick to 4 years, no need for it

24 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

I never thought i would say that but it is at the point that we need less football not more. Pointless qualifiers against countries the size of a small town, CL qualifiers against the champions of Lalaland, Europa league for the teams finishing above the relegation places. Less is more, stick to 4 years, no need for it

We certainly don't need the 3rd place English team playing the champions of lalaland.  Lalaland have already earned the chance to play Madrid or Munich without it.  Or maybe play Copenhagen, Legia Warsaw or Lokomotiv Moscow, teams who have won there domestic league and perhaps may get as far as a QF, or surprise us and make a final one year in open competition.  Unfortunately, they'll have been knocked in Qualifiers against the 4th place Spanish side.  If they do make it, their then seeded in a group to get rid of them immediately.  Load of old money driven crap.  I await Liverpool, Man city etc to moan about fixture congestion when they have to play 4 more games in it from 2024, like they do about domestic cups every year .  I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

13 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That's the reason CL has become dull. Same teams and pointless matches.

Football changes so fast that a four year gap between tournaments does seem like a long time nowadays and with FIFA wanting to develop the game in emerging countries (2022 finals location being an example) I can see why it’s being proposed. Also of course financial reasons as has been mentioned. I can see this idea gaining some traction 

Definite No from me, total overkill and will ruin a very special tournament. 

I do worry though as the vote (I believe) goes to the 211 FIFA nations.  And with a lot of them being “smaller” without the domestic set up we have, that the vote will be in favour of it happening. I heard on the radio just, that in the feasibility assessment of it over 170 of the 211 nations voted in favour of it. 

Wenger's idea is that football matches should be split 80/20 in terms of club and country.

40 league games equals 10 internationals.

8 domestic cups games is 2 international games.

12 European games equals 3 internationals.

That's 75 games a season.

He also wants the players to have a guaranteed 25 days off in summer, and all internationals to be played in two blocks, October and the Summer finals.

No international friendlies, no nation's league, no club world cup I'd assume.

Will never happen.