Ronaldo

MuespachRam

19 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

This isn't meant to be a dumb question but is a 36 year old CR7 any good? I know Man Utd got him for a nominal fee but he'll be 38 when his contract expires.....a lot of Man Utd fans seem to be creaming themselves but where would you place him against other players in the Premiership this season?

I love the fact you're describing a fee north of £20m as nominal.

You can see why Mel's got in so much trouble, following a similar mantra.

8 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I’m not sure he is that good at all actually, he will sell 1 million more shirts and packets of noodles so I guess that’s all they care about..? 
he will score 10-15 goals in a season without doubt. 

He scored 36 in 44 last season. Outscored Lukaku in an inferior team. He’ll get at least 20 goals, probably more. Man Utd have an outstanding team, not sure if Ole is up to it. We’ll find out. No excuses this season. 

Man City have had a bit of a mare though. Grealish doesn’t massively improve them and they don’t have a centre forward. They’ll challenge Man Utd and Chelsea in the Prem, but I think the lack of a quality forward could cost them. 

Ronaldo is still incredible even at this late stage of his career.

In footballing terms, this is a home run. Commercially, this is a home run. Sentimentally, this is a home run.

When you think United have gone four years without a trophy and 8 years since winning the PL, the story writes itself if Ronaldo can drive them to success.

Although I must admit I am surprised they haven’t looked at improving the midfield.

If United were to sign a quality midfielder, they would have so much quality that even a manager like Ole couldn’t possibly fail.

Edited by Jourdan

50 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Ronaldo is still incredible even at this late stage of his career.

In footballing terms, this is a home run. Commercially, this is a home run. Sentimentally, this is a home run.

When you think United have gone four years without a trophy and 8 years since winning the PL, the story writes itself if Ronaldo can drive them to success.

Although I must admit I am surprised they haven’t looked at improving the midfield.

If United were to sign a quality midfielder, they would have so much quality that even a manager like Ole couldn’t possibly fail.

I don't think United's team is actually that good. Not good enough for the major titles anyway.

The fullbacks are decent at best, but nowhere near the standard of say Liverpool's fullbacks. The midfield of McTomminay, Fred and Matic is no better than West Ham's midfield options.

Pogba is a quality player but lacks structure. Bruno Fernandes is a brilliant player but has yet to prove himself in the big games. Portugal certainly didn't trust him at the Euros.

There are question marks over Marcus Rashford. 11 goals last year wasn't great for a forward. United seem to have more hope with Mason Greenwood, who will now see his playing time restrcited as a centre-forward.

Question marks over Sancho too. Brilliant stats at Dortmund. But was that down to the Bundesliga's open flowing football and not very good defences? Hasn't impressed on the international stage.

Oh and United's goalkeepers aren't on the level of City or Liverpool either. I don't think Klopp, Pep or Tuchel would take many United players at all given the chance.

But that's just me.

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I don't think United's team is actually that good. Not good enough for the major titles anyway.

The fullbacks are decent at best, but nowhere near the standard of say Liverpool's fullbacks. The midfield of McTomminay, Fred and Matic is no better than West Ham's midfield options.

Pogba is a quality player but lacks structure. Bruno Fernandes is a brilliant player but has yet to prove himself in the big games. Portugal certainly didn't trust him at the Euros.

There are question marks over Marcus Rashford. 11 goals last year wasn't great for a forward. United seem to have more hope with Mason Greenwood, who will now see his playing time restrcited as a centre-forward.

Question marks over Sancho too. Brilliant stats at Dortmund. But was that down to the Bundesliga's open flowing football and not very good defences? Hasn't impressed on the international stage.

Oh and United's goalkeepers aren't on the level of City or Liverpool either. I don't think Klopp, Pep or Tuchel would take many United players at all given the chance.

But that's just me.

Let’s not mess about here Bris, Pogba is without doubt the best midfielder in the league and you could easily argue, the world. 
Bruno has been amazing for them since he signed, his goals per game ratio might dip now though because he won’t be taking any penalties or free kicks anymore..!!!

Sancho will be great for them, he will scare this league to death. 

they have a realistic chance this season to push City all the way. (I don’t think they will win It, but they have a great squad) 

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

But that's just me.

It’s all about balance and blend. In an ideal world, you’d want a top class player in each position but more likely, you are striving for balance - a situation where players’ strengths can compensate for others’ weaknesses and so on, and an average player can still take on a role in the team and help it to prosper.

I’d agree with you that there are some individuals in the United squad that stand out and strike you as not being the standard of player required.

But look at the potential core of the team - Varane, Pogba, Fernandes, Ronaldo, Cavani and Sancho. These are winners and elite players who will raise standards and encourage the kind of mentality that will drive the rest forward and make them believe they can win.

I am not saying United will win the title or in fact any honour. Personally I think Chelsea are the team to beat.

But United are certainly bringing in the right kind of player and character and taking positive steps to get closer.

44 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Let’s not mess about here Bris, Pogba is without doubt the best midfielder in the league and you could easily argue, the world. 
Bruno has been amazing for them since he signed, his goals per game ratio might dip now though because he won’t be taking any penalties or free kicks anymore..!!!

Sancho will be great for them, he will scare this league to death. 

they have a realistic chance this season to push City all the way. (I don’t think they will win It, but they have a great squad) 

Pogba as a free spirit is a top class player. Without doubt. But he lacks structure. He shines for France as he has a workhorse midfielder in Kante next to him to cover the spaces he leaves.

I don't think Klopp or Tuchel, for instance, would want him due to his lack of discipline and pressing ability.

I don't have anything against United. I used to naturally dislike them during the Fergie years as I felt they bullied officials and set a bad precedent, and then I laughed at their demise since.

But now I don't mind them and who wouldn't want to see them challenge City, Chelsea and Liverpool for honours if only to make the title race interesting again.

Been a while since more than two cubs actually competed for it in the same season.

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s all about balance and blend. In an ideal world, you’d want a top class player in each position but more likely, you are striving for balance - a situation where players’ strengths can compensate for others’ weaknesses and so on, and an average player can still take on a role in the team and help it to prosper.

I’d agree with you that there are some individuals in the United squad that stand out and strike you as not being the standard of player required.

But look at the potential core of the team - Varane, Pogba, Fernandes, Ronaldo, Cavani and Sancho. These are winners and elite players who will raise standards and encourage the kind of mentality that will drive the rest forward and make them believe they can win.

I am not saying United will win the title or in fact any honour. Personally I think Chelsea are the team to beat.

But United are certainly bringing in the right kind of player and character and taking positive steps to get closer.

I completely forgot about Varane. Given his ability and experience, that is an amazing signing for them. They certainly have experienced winners in their squad. Cavani was a great short-term option for them too.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

But that's just me.

Perhaps not, but arguably better on paper than Fergie's final title winning team.

Still, they won't win the title this year.

1 minute ago, CollyerDCFC said:

Perhaps not, but arguably better on paper than Fergie's final title winning team.

Still, they won't win the title this year.

Fergie's last title-winning team wasn't very good. Shows the quality of the manager, the lack of quality from the opposition. He stepped down at the perfect time.

Ack, who knows. It’s still a bit of lovely theatre.

I saw him debut at United .. a 17 year old come on and tortured Bolton’s right back. Inside out side, doubling back to do it again then crossed with his heel. He played with such delight. He was a ball player that was so obviously special … I thought … this ones the real thing, this is George Best reincarnated. … He‘S done pretty well hasn’t he.

The story goes that Ferdinand came back from a pre season game .. begging Fergie to sign him. 

Good luck to him. I’d Rather United won things than City or Chelsea. How he fits in a team, I have no idea, will it work, o idea either but it’s a great story. 

hey let’s get Will back, see how that goes. 

2 hours ago, jono said:

I saw him debut at United .. a 17 year old come on and tortured Bolton’s right back. Inside out side, doubling back to do it again then crossed with his heel. He played with such delight. He was a ball player that was so obviously special … I thought … this ones the real thing, this is George Best reincarnated. … He‘S done pretty well hasn’t he.

The story goes that Ferdinand came back from a pre season game .. begging Fergie to sign him. 

Good luck to him. I’d Rather United won things than City or Chelsea. How he fits in a team, I have no idea, will it work, o idea either but it’s a great story. 

There is a great myth about Cristiano Ronaldo being some unknown who through sheer hard work and determination has become one of the best players ever (top five at least).

But that simply isn’t true.

Arsenal wanted him before United did. Arsene Wenger even admitted that. Real Madrid and Barcelona also wanted him.

Ronaldo was a special talent. If you watch the friendly he played for Sporting against United, you could see how good he was. Built at 6ft 2inch or so, extremely quick, deft feet, bags of trickery, powerful. You can see the highlights on YT. He absolutely destroyed United’s defence and he was only 17.

There is no doubt Ronaldo works as hard as any top level athlete out there. But he was born to be a world class footballer. He was blessed with all the necessary attributes, amazing genetics and the right mentality. 

People praise his body (rightly so) but you don’t get that sort of body without amazing genetics. He’s a phenomenon, like Lebron James or Floyd Mayweather.

3 hours ago, jono said:

I have told this story a million times in life (including loads of times on here) I saw his debut for United thanks to some corporate tickets, and was pretty adamant that he would never make anything and that I could have marked him out of the game…my United supporting mate who sorted the box loves to remind me….he text me earlier today actually about It….ha ha 

4 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

I have told this story a million times in life (including loads of times on here) I saw his debut for United thanks to some corporate tickets, and was pretty adamant that he would never make anything and that I could have marked him out of the game…my United supporting mate who sorted the box loves to remind me….he text me earlier today actually about It….ha ha 

It’s not like you to have a controversial opinion on a player. 

5 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

The scouting team at United recommened Zidane to Fergie when he was at Cannes who did not sign him because he tought he wasnt strong enough, he went to Bordeaux for 2M at the time. He was as strong as an Ox. Tell that to your mate.

16 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

It's maybe just me, but I've found the whole Messi, Ronaldo, Kane, Harland, Mbappe transfer sagas so boring. 

It's a country mile away from the game I was brought up on. 

Likewise, the mentality of the so called “super clubs” is completely out of kilter with everything that’s going on in both the football world and society in general. If I was a kid growing up now I don’t think football would have interested me one bit.
I personally got the football bug as a kid growing up late 1970’s wouldn’t happen now though as in my opinion it’s corrupt, immoral and rotting before our eyes  

Everything is wrong in the football world with the wages, fees and more so the parasitical agents and the exorbitant fees they bleed out of our once beautiful game. 
A complete reset needs to be applied ASAP before it’s too late.