What's your TV package (I'm beginning to think I screwed up)

Bob The Badger

21 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Getting that sports cancelled ASAP. 

Can't decide if to go for better broadband. I don't really need it. 

There are only 2 broadband infrastructure providers - Virgin and BT openreach. 

BT openreach then offer wire only, or fibre optic to the nearest cabinet then wire to your property or fibre optic all the way. Depends what is installed and available. 

Most common is the fibre optic to the cabinet then wire to individual properties. Should give you 20-30 mps download and 8-12 upload. 

The various providers, talktalk, italk, sky are all running over the openreach kit so differences in their offering is marginal. We're stuck with it and move it around to save just a few quid. Last time moved from talktalk who charged 47 quid a month to italk who charge 30 quid for the same thing. 

You just need to check out what happens with email addresses as each provider is different. 

18 hours ago, Rev said:

I'm guessing I should renegotiate!

Screenshot_20210803-221326.thumb.png.8242a7fbc5757c88f4f029de6e3af407.png

Yep me too looks like I’m on some sort of legacy package need to check what’s included in sky signature. Seems the pricing is still very variable. BT sport is expensive IMO it’s in my pack but may let it go - sure I can get this reconfigured and cheaper

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Yep me too looks like I’m on some sort of legacy package need to check what’s included in sky signature. Seems the pricing is still very variable. BT sport is expensive IMO it’s in my pack but may let it go - sure I can get this reconfigured and cheaper

I only have it because my wife's a Spurs fan, might have to persuade her to get the app for £5 a month.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And then you chose to accept their offer - you should have held out for a better offer, that's what I did. If you accepted their offer I presume you are happy with it. BobTB seems sorted now.

Did you miss the part where I said they cancelled my contract? 

I'm saying that not every attempt gets a great deal. Sometimes you say that you aren't happy and they happily cancel for you. Hold out for what - demand they give you a better price or you'll do what, cancel your contract? They accept and cancel sometimes. 

3 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Did you miss the part where I said they cancelled my contract? 

I'm saying that not every attempt gets a great deal. Sometimes you say that you aren't happy and they happily cancel for you. Hold out for what - demand they give you a better price or you'll do what, cancel your contract? They accept and cancel sometimes. 

I missed none of it.

I'm aware that not everyone gets the deal they want - that's up to you. You accept what you want to. Plenty of people get deals they're happy with. Perhaps you needed to wait longer or talk to more Sky agents. I've no idea why you accepted a deal you weren't happy with. 

29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I missed none of it.

I'm aware that not everyone gets the deal they want - that's up to you. You accept what you want to. Plenty of people get deals they're happy with. Perhaps you needed to wait longer or talk to more Sky agents. I've no idea why you accepted a deal you weren't happy with. 

Because of the monopoly sky has for sky TV. If you are happy to not have it, don't sign the contract. If you want it, and they won't negotiate down on the price, you have to accept the offer they give you. 

Was with a group of mates and we were discussing tv, what we were paying etc. I asked one of them (without thinking) "So Ross, do you have a big package?". I can still hear the laughter even now.

Edited by TimRam

Seem to be alone here but haven't paid for any online TV subscriptions for about 5 years plus now - make use of the Freesat channels which is enough for me or have been using Now TVs Daily Passes to watch games I can't get to which since they hiked the price of this to a tenner isn't justifiable anymore for casual users and done as they obviously want you to take out a monthly subscription.

Pay £19 a month for Vodafone Superfast broadband get about 70Mbps download speeds which is enough for me. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Seem to be alone here but haven't paid for any online TV subscriptions for about 5 years plus now - make use of the Freesat channels which is enough for me or have been using Now TVs Daily Passes to watch games I can't get to which since they hiked the price of this to a tenner isn't justifiable anymore for casual users and done as they obviously want you to take out a monthly subscription.

Pay £19 a month for Vodafone Superfast broadband get about 70Mbps download speeds which is enough for me. 

I imagine that unless you've got some sneaky tactics (which you're not allowed to share on here!), you're missing out on some great stuff.

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not alone. I have 500MB/s broadband and unlimited phone for £32 and my main telly is Freeview. But I've an android telly so have Kodi on there with various add-ons so can essentially watch any TV series or movie ever made through that, if I want to go beyond terrestrial. Sky are offering me £20 a month for Sky Sports through NowTV which I might do, but haven't decided yet. I told them I wouldn't use them again when they leaked the England team for the Euros final and I do think it's important to stick with moral positions like that. They shouldn't try to undermine their country, but that said every journo I know would sell their own grandmother for a story.

• 3 months later...

Log into Sky (to view emails) and noticed Black Friday “offers” exist, so clicked and it was offering me the chance to renew my SkyTV package, which I currently pay £77.50 for (all sports inc BT, and Netflix) for the discounted price of £117 a month. That’s a £20 saving allegedly. So it looks like I’m going through the rigmarole of cancelling in three weeks time. 

I think I will continue my outrage at the lack of UHD/4K programmes at the moment, given SkyQ has existed about 5yrs now!  I’m going to accuse them of diverting their investments into Sky Glass to attract new customers, instead of looking after their loyal customers who bought UHD TVs on their recommendation years back. 

wish me luck. 

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Log into Sky (to view emails) and noticed Black Friday “offers” exist, so clicked and it was offering me the chance to renew my SkyTV package, which I currently pay £77.50 for (all sports inc BT, and Netflix) for the discounted price of £117 a month. That’s a £20 saving allegedly. So it looks like I’m going through the rigmarole of cancelling in three weeks time. 

I think I will continue my outrage at the lack of UHD/4K programmes at the moment, given SkyQ has existed about 5yrs now!  I’m going to accuse them of diverting their investments into Sky Glass to attract new customers, instead of looking after their loyal customers who bought UHD TVs on their recommendation years back. 

wish me luck. 

My contract ran out in September with Sky, I rang up and was told to basically wait for the Black Friday offers if I want a decent price.

Did that, and they offered me a whopping £7 off the increased prices now the contract had expired which meant I would be paying more than I was before unless I would move my internet to them which I couldn't.

Ended up going to Virgin where my broadband is and paying £19pm extra for the maxit tv package including BT Sports and Sky Sports.

Took 2 multi room boxes as well and they upgraded our internet to 500 down.

£87pm in total for the lot.

Best deals now are when you get your tv and broadband together, kinda makes sense I guess.

13 hours ago, David said:

My contract ran out in September with Sky, I rang up and was told to basically wait for the Black Friday offers if I want a decent price.

Did that, and they offered me a whopping £7 off the increased prices now the contract had expired which meant I would be paying more than I was before unless I would move my internet to them which I couldn't.

Ended up going to Virgin where my broadband is and paying £19pm extra for the maxit tv package including BT Sports and Sky Sports.

Took 2 multi room boxes as well and they upgraded our internet to 500 down.

£87pm in total for the lot.

Best deals now are when you get your tv and broadband together, kinda makes sense I guess.

Not sure about the broadband. I binned them off for Broadband years ago as soon as other suppliers offered it without line rental costs. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/12/2021 at 13:54, Mostyn6 said:

wish me luck. 

Cancellation enacted. 

After 10 months of Sky I'm thinking other than the odd Derby game and the NFL, I'd not miss it at all. Pretty much everything we watch other than sport is on iPlayer, Netflix or occasionally Amazon.

I obviously incorrectly thought they had the Ashes, but even that's not the case.

I highly doubt I'll renew next summer. Way overpriced for what it is, and that will become more so as things get more and more fragmented. 

• 1 month later...

Cancelled my Sky Sub a few months ago, I miss the odd movie and the sport but not enough to justify the cost especially as the 'old' Soccer Saturday crew got kicked off the show a while back.

Recently cancelled the TV licence as well.  Apart from adding to the 1.7m cancellations this year to make a statement we barely watched it anyway - so haven't missed it.

So long as I don't watch live TV or iPlayer I get almost everything I need on Amazon Prime, DIsney+ and Netflix.  Much happier ? 

• 2 months later...