What's your TV package (I'm beginning to think I screwed up)

Bob The Badger

59 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

No, no, no, no and no.

Sounds like I lucked out.

Go back (there should be a cooling off period) and say you're having second thoughts and you really wanted all the European but didn't realise it wasn't Sky but BT...

On 02/08/2021 at 15:21, Bob The Badger said:

I was so out of touch with TV over here after being out of the country for 15 years I just got what I previously had before I left minus Sky Sports.

I was reluctant to sign up for 18-months, but as I wanted Sky broadband (few choices around here that were as fast) and it worked out the cheapest when I bundled Netflix for £4 extra, I went for it.

I'm currently paying £72 per month  for the Sky basic, the best internet they do around here and Netflix

Customer service is about 75% utter horror show and 25% brilliant depending on who you get, but I'm finding I hardly watch anything on Sky, it's all iPlayer, Netflix and Amazon.

Plus I've got back into sport with the Olympics and I want to watch the Ryder Cup and the NFL, but it's an extra £25 (as an unspecial special offer) and I have to sign up for 18 months with it when I'm already 6 months in.

I'm not arsed about the Premier League and I can get the NFL package and then stream to my TV, but that means the Sky games are blacked out and I'm thinking the Rams may be on a few times.

I dunno, I think it was better with 3 channels and my dad dickling about with a coat hanger behind the TV trying to get a signal.

Anybody got any suggestions or want to share what you have and what you pay?

When it comes up to your renewal date just look on price comparison websites and you can see what other providers are offering for new business - all the providers also have shared access to this as well so they can't call your bluff - so you just go in and say Virgin Media are offering x at y amount so I'll move unless you don't offer me the same or less - they'll do that but the sacrifice will be that they'll insist they then tie you into a long term contract accordingly.

Unless your contract specifically states that charges can go up annually in line with the RPI then if that do subsequently increase prices you can leave without prejudice or penalty within an alloted timeframe of your provider notifying you of increases in charges. 

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah mate, but you should do a little haggle. It's not that tough.

I tried that, several years ago. I'm cancelling my sky as its just too expensive. 

OK no problem sir, I'll process that for you now. 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I tried that, several years ago. I'm cancelling my sky as its just too expensive. 

OK no problem sir, I'll process that for you now. 

Yes, but you have to go through with it. You have to give them 30 days notice of quitting.

During that 30 days there are often offers in your Sky account or you can chat to them and say 'well you know I'd like to stay but it's so expensive'...etc. Most people get an offer they'll accept then, but if not after you've past 30 days and aren't with them you'll often get 'win back' offers. Or you can ring them and say 'I'm missing you what deals do you have'?

And if you change your mind within your 30 days notice then you can ring up and say 'I've changed my mind' and your account will just continue as was.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Go back (there should be a cooling off period) and say you're having second thoughts and you really wanted all the European but didn't realise it wasn't Sky but BT...

I just read my itemised bill and they have charged me £23 for sport not £13, £2 extra for HD and they put my broadband up £7 and my ultimate tv add up £2.

I'm glad I have the screenshot, but I've already been cut off twice and they haven't called me back.

This is an utter scam.

And tbh I'm really not arsed about BT. There's nothing I'd watch.

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I just read my itemised bill and they have charged me £23 for sport not £13, £2 extra for HD and they put my broadband up £7 and my ultimate tv add up £2.

I'm glad I have the screenshot, but I've already been cut off twice and they haven't called me back.

This is an utter scam.

And tbh I'm really not arsed about BT. There's nothing I'd watch.

Yeah it can be a real pain, ask to be put through to cancellations - or retentions, tell them you're leaving! One of the things about calling is (well certainly used to be) that they will have a record of your call. They can go back - usually after you've complainde and got a supervisor involved - and listen to what you and the Sky agent agreed to.

27 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yes, but you have to go through with it. You have to give them 30 days notice of quitting.

During that 30 days there are often offers in your Sky account or you can chat to them and say 'well you know I'd like to stay but it's so expensive'...etc. Most people get an offer they'll accept then, but if not after you've past 30 days and aren't with them you'll often get 'win back' offers. Or you can ring them and say 'I'm missing you what deals do you have'?

And if you change your mind within your 30 days notice then you can ring up and say 'I've changed my mind' and your account will just continue as was.

I did go through with it, they cancelled and I was on free view for a good while afterwards. 

26 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I did go through with it, they cancelled and I was on free view for a good while afterwards. 

So when you went back you should have got a good deal? In 17 years that's happened to me once and I have to say Freeview and a smart tv don't make up for the ease of Sky and all their sports. ?

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So when you went back you should have got a good deal? In 17 years that's happened to me once and I have to say Freeview and a smart tv don't make up for the ease of Sky and all their sports. ?

I've shown you my £104 per month bill, doesn't seem that impressive. 

16 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I've shown you my £104 per month bill, doesn't seem that impressive. 

What can I say, you've seen the bills from people who have haggled successfully. I also said to BobTB that it isn't always easy even after you think you've agreed a deal. 

Edited by RoyMac5

52 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

What can I say, you've seen the bills from people who have haggled successfully. I also said to BobTB that it isn't always easy even after you think you've agreed a deal. 

As I said, I tried the way you suggested and it just got my contract cancelled. 

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

As I said, I tried the way you suggested and it just got my contract cancelled. 

And then you chose to accept their offer - you should have held out for a better offer, that's what I did. If you accepted their offer I presume you are happy with it. BobTB seems sorted now.

Edited by RoyMac5