World of crypto

NottsRam77

34 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

I see the Tupperware guy is still coming on here regularly with updates on the pyramid scheme, I mean Bitcoin. Are there Bitcoiners on loads of forums letting simple folk know what they are missing out on I wonder?

It's definitely the 2020s version of the old joke - "how do you know someone is vegan?" 😂

To be fair though - there is a reason that most research points to the majority of BTC holders being millennials and Gen Z. 

We haven't exactly left them with a reliable future have we?

2 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

It's definitely the 2020s version of the old joke - "how do you know someone is vegan?" 😂

To be fair though - there is a reason that most research points to the majority of BTC holders being millennials and Gen Z. 

We haven't exactly left them with a reliable future have we?

Fair point 

always knew as a mid 40 yo im ahead of my time 🙈😂😂😂😂

6 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

😂😂😂

best performing global asset on the planet 

but im the tupperware guy 😂😂

With the greatest of respect i strongly suggest u go and educate yourself, do some research before ur wealth / pension pot is eroded into thin air by inflation and infinite money printing and im saying that as a fellow ram 👍

How did the "best performing asset on the planet" do in 2022?

Unfortunately until it's a bit more reliable, it's too risky for most people. And when it's less risky, those incredible gains will dry up, and it becomes a steady investment. And if it returned a steady 5% would you still be so committed? 

Or, it turns into the next dotcom bubble and everyone who's filled their boots will be lining up to throw themselves off the nearest tall building. 

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Unfortunately until it's a bit more reliable, it's too risky for most people. And when it's less risky, those incredible gains will dry up, and it becomes a steady investment. And if it returned a steady 5% would you still be so committed? 

Or, it turns into the next dotcom bubble and everyone who's filled their boots will be lining up to throw themselves off the nearest tall building. 

I had a talk with my visiting sister tonight about this and said I've bought as much as I can afford to lose. 

I realise it's not an investment. My personal belief is the money I've spent will either 10x or more, or evaporate. If it's the latter, then it was worth a roll of the dice and I've had quite a bit of fun. 

I'd double my money if I sold now, but I'm not remotely tempted. HODL. 

Edited by Bob The Badger

11 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I see the Tupperware guy is still coming on here regularly with updates on the pyramid scheme, I mean Bitcoin. Are there Bitcoiners on loads of forums letting simple folk know what they are missing out on I wonder?

Were 'Pieces of Eight' the original Bitcoins?

Asking for a pirate friend. 

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

Were 'Pieces of Eight' the original Bitcoins?

Asking for a pirate friend. 

I think they were a 1960’s Liverpudlian dance band Eddie, but don’t ask me as I know little to nothing about the mystical world of wealth manipulation, nor for that matter dance.

Posted (edited)
On 05/03/2024 at 19:30, GboroRam said:

With due respect your taking one year in isolation….

anyone that knows anything at all about bitcoin or has cared to do any research knows that it is an opensource protocol based around 4 year cycles / halving events.

anyone who puts money into something with a one year hope of return isnt investing is merely hopefully speculating/ gambling.

over a long term period from 2008 u can pick any cycle you like and bitcoin has outperformed any other global stock.

im not suggesting anyone gets involved, certainly if they are sceptical likes yourself im just pointing out the facts  

maybe it is a bubble .. but its a bubble walls street are now buying mindblowing amounts of daily that will be sat in most of our pension pots to try and beat inflation without us even realising 

welcome to the club 😉 lol

yours truly 

M saylor 😂

Edited by NottsRam77

5 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

With due respect your taking one year in isolation….

anyone that knows anything at all about bitcoin or has cared to do any research knows that it is an opensource protocol based around 4 year cycles / halving events.

anyone who puts money into something with a one year hope of return isnt investing is merely hopefully speculating/ gambling.

over a long term period from 2008 u can pick any cycle you like and bitcoin has outperformed any other global stock.

im not suggesting anyone gets involved, certainly if they are sceptical likes yourself im just pointing out the facts  

maybe it is a bubble .. but its a bubble walls street are now buying mindblowing amounts of daily that will be sat in most of our pension pots to try and beat inflation without us even realising 

welcome to the club 😉 lol

yours truly 

M saylor 😂

Probably also worth mentioning that other bubbles (Dotcom Bubble, 17th century Dutch Tulip Bubble & 18th century South Sea Bubble) lasted 2-3 years...Bitcoin has been here 15 years, has survived price collapses & come back much stronger every time.

As you rightly say, it has outperformed any global asset by some magnitude & there is a reason that US authorities are seeking to regulate it properly for corporate investors. Wouldnt worry about the cynicism though, dont forget there were plenty of 'wise' folk in the late 90s who thought the internet was a passing fad & would die out 😆

1 hour ago, Wolfie said:

While I'm highly sceptical about the topic, I found this article about recent Bitcoin rises both interesting and bizarre (energy to run Bitcoin now equal to that of The Netherlands):

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/bitcoin-speculation-is-back-and-as-risky-as-ever-2954962

Perhaps their ought to be an annual Green Tax levied on bitcoin holdings?

20 hours ago, Wolfie said:

While I'm highly sceptical about the topic, I found this article about recent Bitcoin rises both interesting and bizarre (energy to run Bitcoin now equal to that of The Netherlands):

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/bitcoin-speculation-is-back-and-as-risky-as-ever-2954962

Bitcoin and the environment is a very interesting subject.

the headline .. btc uses as much as netherlands is an easy one to write and i understand why people read that and think wtf. 

having spent last weekend at bitcoin atlantis and listening to the speakers, the projects they are involved in and how they are making bitcoin work for communities around the world in providing clean affordable energy  to them is quite simply incredible. 

bitcoin uses a lot of energy but its also providing a gateway to a carbon neutral future.

On 07/03/2024 at 20:25, LeedsCityRam said:

Probably also worth mentioning that other bubbles (Dotcom Bubble, 17th century Dutch Tulip Bubble & 18th century South Sea Bubble) lasted 2-3 years...Bitcoin has been here 15 years, has survived price collapses & come back much stronger every time.

As you rightly say, it has outperformed any global asset by some magnitude & there is a reason that US authorities are seeking to regulate it properly for corporate investors. Wouldnt worry about the cynicism though, dont forget there were plenty of 'wise' folk in the late 90s who thought the internet was a passing fad & would die out 😆

I worked in West Bromwich in the late 90s and my biggest account was New Holland in the US. I'd been pushing to use email (I even had my own account, but had no business account) and couldn't make any headway. Then I got a fax from NH saying that all requests to tender much be provided via email from a certain date.

I walked into my sales director's office and waved it triumphantly in his face.

His response was, it's a fad, Tim. We're not getting email.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Bitcoin and the environment is a very interesting subject.

the headline .. btc uses as much as netherlands is an easy one to write and i understand why people read that and think wtf. 

having spent last weekend at bitcoin atlantis and listening to the speakers, the projects they are involved in and how they are making bitcoin work for communities around the world in providing clean affordable energy  to them is quite simply incredible. 

bitcoin uses a lot of energy but its also providing a gateway to a carbon neutral future.

Interesting subject. Are you able to share any examples and are the environmental benefits of these projects anywhere near the environmental costs of Bitcoin? Do these projects only happen because of the existence of Bitcoin or could they, should someone have the inclination, be delivered without Bitcoin?

Genuine questions.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I worked in West Bromwich in the late 90s and my biggest account was New Holland in the US. I'd been pushing to use email (I even had my own account, but had no business account) and couldn't make any headway. Then I got a fax from NH saying that all requests to tender much be provided via email from a certain date.

I walked into my sales director's office and waved it triumphantly in his face.

His response was, it's a fad, Tim. We're not getting email.

I can remember our I.T. department not wanting to repair our fax machine a few years ago saying it was not cost effective because we all should be using emails.

Anyway we won the day and it got repaired, two years later when a computer virus hit the company, no one was allowed to send any emails or use their computers. 

The guy who had been previously been ridiculed for printing off all the company fax numbers and telephone numbers was in very popular demand. 
😏

Edited by cstand

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Interesting subject. Are you able to share any examples and are the environmental benefits of these projects anywhere near the environmental costs of Bitcoin? Do these projects only happen because of the existence of Bitcoin or could they, should someone have the inclination, be delivered without Bitcoin?

Genuine questions.

Absolutely …. Just in the middle of something work wise , ill try sit down tonight and write something

but its basically focused around how bitcoin miners .. being portable are able to harness wasted electricity to make grids sustainable for remote local communities.

plus the harnessing of methane gas .. etc ill dig some articles out that explain it more eloquently than me 

It's certainly the largest flaw in the bitcoin design, that it takes such massive amounts of energy to mine, so I hope they can figure it out. 

That and the fact that it's just 0s and 1s on a computer at the end of the day. Come the next Carrington event, they will all just disappear. At least gold as a store of value actually exists!

2 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Absolutely …. Just in the middle of something work wise , ill try sit down tonight and write something

but its basically focused around how bitcoin miners .. being portable are able to harness wasted electricity to make grids sustainable for remote local communities.

plus the harnessing of methane gas .. etc ill dig some articles out that explain it more eloquently than me 

I look forward to it. I'm struggling to see how a "miner" working on solving mathematical problems (is that what they do?) are able to harness wasted electricity and subsequently make it available for remote communities. 

It's all a mystery to me. In my ignorance it seems that cryptocurrency mining is not much more than just a game that doesn't create anything tangible. I don't understand why it takes so much energy to undertake such mining. I appreciate it must just be missing something. My head hurts.