Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

Only on dcfcfans would a young player scoring a hat trick for the under 23s be a call for a number of posters to pile in with criticism.

Some people really don't deserve nice things. 

There is obviously an issue. Aghatsie coming off the bench ahead of him seems to show that Rooney isn't impressed either. 

He needs some 1 on 1 coaching to help with his decision making and link up play. He is talented but only in very specific narrow areas. 

It's frustrating because the things he does well, he does very well. 

1 minute ago, Crewton said:

Good players analyse their own performance, and certainly listen to their coaches' assessment. A certain Brian Clough could be an extremely harsh judge, and was brilliant at both bigging players up and bringing them back down to earth. Hopefully, the youngsters are getting constructive criticism from within. What is said on here shouldn't even register with them. 

Agree. I didn't see the game so shouldn't really be commenting but a hat trick at any level is something to be treasured, not disparaged.

I think part of the trouble is we look at highlights of games elsewhere, so only see the good bits of other teams' players, whereas we pore over every second of our own teams' performances. 

I recall Hector, O'Hare and even Charlie George missing shed loads of chances back in the day. But what I remember are the brilliant goals they did score.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Agree. I didn't see the game so shouldn't really be commenting but a hat trick at any level is something to be treasured, not disparaged.

I think part of the trouble is we look at highlights of games elsewhere, so only see the good bits of other teams' players, whereas we pore over every second of our own teams' performances. 

I recall Hector, O'Hare and even Charlie George missing shed loads of chances back in the day. But what I remember are the brilliant goals they did score.

It wasnt the chances he missed per se. It was selfish shooting into a mass of defenders instead of passing. 

I've no problem with people missing chances, it's selfishness and lack of team ethic that irritates me. 

3 minutes ago, sage said:

It wasnt the chances he missed per se. It was selfish shooting into a mass of defenders instead of passing. 

I've no problem with people missing chances, it's selfishness and lack of team ethic that irritates me. 

I reckon if you're trying desperately to show the manager that you should be getting more first team action you're probably going to be a little more selfish / always try for the spectacular 

Also worth noting that a certain ex-Manager of ours was known for his prolific 'wastefulness' - One of the worst shots to goals ratios in the PL (I remember his rate of return being unfavourably compared to Huddlestone at one point) - Chap also scored more goals for Chelsea than anyone else ever, is the only PL midfielder to score more than 150 PL goals and is 4th in the all time PL assists ranking

I often think one of our biggest problems is we try and walk the ball into the net - Always trying to create the 'perfect' chance - Lawrence is the only one who seems to speculate on a half chance every now and then - Wouldn't be the worst thing to have another player in there who can/will do the same

The academy is our future and what a future we can have with so many coming through, the young lads will read these pages and no they do not want critism, they want our support and yes they will make errors for it is part of the learning curve and over time they should learn to cut out errors, it was alright for Keogh to keep making errors under pressure, and over the years he never cut them out.

Sibley and Rooney do not know what has gone off with them, but with bringing him on with 10 mins to go or starting him on the left wing would not have done his confidence any good along with the fans expectations of him being so high and then turning on him when he did not perform being played out of position.

Feel that Rooney has not managed Sibley to his best, and who could blame Sibley if he moves on and if he does it will be Derbys loss, and some other manager will get the best out of him and everyone will be moaning we gave him away.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sibley lost his mojo when playing in the first team. Wasn't shooting when he normally would, wasn't striking the ball cleanly. For all we know, he was given the instruction to shoot at any opportunity to help regain the confidence currently missing from his game.

How many seasoned first teamers are shooting on sight of the goal ? Lawrence included. Sibley lost his confidence being played out of position also at the time when back passing and side passing was the norm and forward passes were rare, and the build up was so slow to attack.

How many shots on target have Derby had all season ? would imagine we are one of the lowest, also how many as Lawrence had ? yet a young inexperienced player gets the flack!

31 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

How many seasoned first teamers are shooting on sight of the goal ? Lawrence included. Sibley lost his confidence being played out of position also at the time when back passing and side passing was the norm and forward passes were rare, and the build up was so slow to attack.

How many shots on target have Derby had all season ? would imagine we are one of the lowest, also how many as Lawrence had ? yet a young inexperienced player gets the flack!

Did you watch the game?

31 minutes ago, SirBrian said:

That isn't the case. But yet you expect a 'young inexperienced player' to be a consistent performer?

Sibley absolutely needs to be moved on for his own good. Regardless of the off-the-field issues, the current management staff don't trust him enough to play him in the first team despite being (for my money) the most talented player at the club by some distance. 

If he can get a good move to a decent team, perhaps we will eventually see the potential he has at a first team level. I genuinely hope we can find him a good home that will bring him on a lot better than we can. 

He is on £10k a week. Not sure who will pay that. When you look at his stats, it's crazy. 5 goals in 11 games in his first season. 1 in 44 in games after that.  I think  there are a range of explanations and we don't know enough to understand all of them. 

30 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Bird benefited from a good break from the first team. Hopefully when Sibley next gets a chance of a run of games we will seem more of this kind of form.

This.

It's perhaps overlooked that Sibley has only recently turned 20. He's had 55 1st team appearances, including as sub. Jason Knight has 88 and he's 6 months older. The hype and expectation when he made that explosive start to his 1st team career probably did him no favours (with his agent getting £££ signs in his eyes too, perhaps). He was certainly "off it" at the start of last season and seeme to be trying too hard to make an impression in the first team. Getting back to what he does best is what's important for his career, not a move to another club where he'll quite possibly not be first choice either. He'll be back, I'm sure of that.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

Sibley absolutely needs to be moved on for his own good. Regardless of the off-the-field issues, the current management staff don't trust him enough to play him in the first team despite being (for my money) the most talented player at the club by some distance. 

If he can get a good move to a decent team, perhaps we will eventually see the potential he has at a first team level. I genuinely hope we can find him a good home that will bring him on a lot better than we can. 

I agree. He’s the most talented player we’ve got. I remember (not very long ago) watching him as a 16 year old in the 18s and thinking he was outrageous. 

It would be a shame to see him go and I think he will be given more chances again this season and hopefully he can start to perform consistently. I don’t think he’s done a lot wrong when he has played for the first team tbh. It’s not like the other attacking players are churning out goal after goal. 

If he left, I fear we would massively regret it. 

I don't really get the claim that he's being "played out of position on the wing" - we don't play with "wingers" for a start - and last night, by the look of the highlights, he did most of his effective work wide on the right utterly torturing the Norwich LB. He can play wide, he can play more centrally, he just needs to cut out the rash challenges that earn him cards and learn to look up a bit more.

Sibley will only be given a chance in what I consider his best position is if WR has a change of heart on how he wants to set up, and I am struggling to see  that happening as he made it clear the 3 at back on Saturday is not what he wants to do despite it looking better for the type of player we have available.  Especially when Festy and Buchanan are available. 

Personally, I'd play him with Lawrence quite narrow behind the striker,  use wing backs for width, but even if we play that way it will be Knight ahead of him unless Shinnie or Bird are unavailable and Knight drops deeper., which leads to.......

I do wish WR would use the attacking sub options,  Sibley or otherwise, more regularly to maintain fresh legs, even at the expense of his darling Lawrence, in the style of the McLaren/Simpsonesque subs as it would keep us on the front foot