Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

3 hours ago, Yani P said:

That's better then ..the Rooney quote said he couldn't play..

"You see Luke Plange last night in the under-23s, again scoring and putting in a very good performance against Arsenal. It is a shame I can't use him for embargo reasons which I don't understand, if I am being honest.

"We are denying a young player an opportunity which he deserves to come into the first-team. I don't get it, I really don't. It is disappointing and upsetting for him and for his family.

"If I was a parent of that player I would really think about taking the player out of the football club because there is no progression. Is that what really we want to see? No, it's not. So something needs to happen, something needs to change, and quickly."

It really is mad that the way the special rule for us is preventing us using the kids, ok he came from another academy,  but he's still a kid and I don't think he'd be restricted at any other club in the land currently.

Whether any other club is in such a poor striker position as us that he'd get an opportunity is a different matter......

So if we don't get new ownership sorted for Jan to strengthen the squad, would you let Baldock go and use his slot for Plange?

Edited by Rich84
Typo

5 hours ago, Rich84 said:

It really is mad that the way the special rule for us is preventing us using the kids, ok he came from another academy,  but he's still a kid and I don't think he'd be restricted at any other club in the land currently.

Whether any other club is in such a poor striker position as us that he'd get an opportunity is a different matter......

So if we don't get new ownership sorted for Jan to strengthen the squad, would you let Baldock go and use his slot for Plange?

I would definitely let Baldock go to make some room for the youngsters. Also, I agree the rule not being able to play the kids is just madness.

We are also overloaded with centre midfielders so we could try to sell at least one of then. 

18 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sebagabo RB? 

Roberts

Sebagabo   Trialist   Aideyan   Rutt

Fapetu   Ibrahim

Ebiowei   DBrown   Kelly

Kellyman

Right wing-back according to this: https://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2021/11/27/england/u18-premier-league-cup/Derby-county-fc-under-18-academy/chelsea-fc-under-18-academy/3642535/

Anybody got any idea who the two trialists are?

Riley Moloney, like Kain Ryan, hasn’t featured for the U18s for a while now. I’d assumed they were both injured but looks like that wasn’t the case with Ryan. Moloney has captained England at youth level, I believe, so I wonder if he’ll be the next one to leave for another club.

Anybody know whether Moloney is injured?

Edited by Stuniverse

16 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Unlikely to have lined up that way - with Kellyman being a forward and Hawkins (CM) coming on for Brown.

Trialists would be CB and CM. No idea other than that

1 hour ago, Stuniverse said:

Looks like these are the U18 trialists:

They may be, although we don't actually seem to have lost to Stoke recently.  The highlights of Saturday's draw with Chelsea are on their website, with some  commentary.  The trialist CB seems to be wearing no. 12 and I think the commentator referred to him as Callum Robertson, or something along those lines.  

On the Kain Ryan front, some posters seem to be reacting as if we've lost the next Rio Ferdinand.  Perhaps we have, but its more likely that we haven't.  He may not have featured much for the 18s, not because he was injured, but basically because Rutt, Aideyan, Brailsford and Cox have been doing better than him.  It was his agent who flagged up the news & of course it would be entirely wrong of us to think that he might have been behind the story about lots of Premier League interest ........  Anyway, good luck to Kain going forwards.

With the Gordon & Delap departures, I can see why people  are worried.  But 16 is very young to be judging players.  If you remember back to when Lee Holmes first appeared at 15 for us, we'd have been gutted if he had left at that point for next to no money.  As it was, though, he never really kicked on and we gave him a free transfer when he was 21.    Similarly, just think how elated we would have been to get Bobby Duncan when he was 16 and The Next Big Thing?

Meanwhile, we've done our own share of signing young players from elsewhere in Plange and Ebiowe.  Plange was of course terrific on Friday night, and as for Ebiowe, from the little I've seen of him so far, definitely seems to have a considerable amount about him.  

2 hours ago, Long Time Lurker said:

They may be, although we don't actually seem to have lost to Stoke recently.  The highlights of Saturday's draw with Chelsea are on their website, with some  commentary.  The trialist CB seems to be wearing no. 12 and I think the commentator referred to him as Callum Robertson, or something along those lines.  

On the Kain Ryan front, some posters seem to be reacting as if we've lost the next Rio Ferdinand.  Perhaps we have, but its more likely that we haven't.  He may not have featured much for the 18s, not because he was injured, but basically because Rutt, Aideyan, Brailsford and Cox have been doing better than him.  It was his agent who flagged up the news & of course it would be entirely wrong of us to think that he might have been behind the story about lots of Premier League interest ........  Anyway, good luck to Kain going forwards.

With the Gordon & Delap departures, I can see why people  are worried.  But 16 is very young to be judging players.  If you remember back to when Lee Holmes first appeared at 15 for us, we'd have been gutted if he had left at that point for next to no money.  As it was, though, he never really kicked on and we gave him a free transfer when he was 21.    Similarly, just think how elated we would have been to get Bobby Duncan when he was 16 and The Next Big Thing?

Meanwhile, we've done our own share of signing young players from elsewhere in Plange and Ebiowe.  Plange was of course terrific on Friday night, and as for Ebiowe, from the little I've seen of him so far, definitely seems to have a considerable amount about him.  

You make some fair points, as did @Ravabeerbelly previously. My main concern is that the EPPP system allows PL clubs to sign any under 17 player they like for effectively small change - why should clubs with anything between £100-150m more TV money than EFL clubs be able to do that?

There's also more chance of a 16 year old disappearing without trace at a PL club than at an EFL club, so who does it really benefit other than the "elite"? 

On 27/11/2021 at 10:16, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Shame about Kain Ryan leaving, he looked to be one of the better defensive prospects we've produced recently ?

Shame a Derby (Mickleover) based agency has been touting him around

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/12420724/officers

1 hour ago, Jram said:

There is a thread about it but, if you haven’t seen it, the U18s lost in the first round of FA Youth Cup for second successive season.

Shame really, I always hold out hope of a run every year 

The issue we have at the moment is that players are being pushed all over the place to satisfy the needs of the first team. 

It was like this last year too so hopefully when the club sorts its poo out we might see more stabilised 23s, 18s and 16s. 

Last night isn’t a true reflection of that age group though. 

U23s are playing Chelsea tonight at 19.00. They’ve been massively improved recently so hoping for a good result and get off the bottom. Be very curious to see if the likes of Sibley and Watson are playing again 

Live on RamsTV

9 minutes ago, Jram said:

U23s are playing Chelsea tonight at 19.00. They’ve been massively improved recently so hoping for a good result and get off the bottom. Be very curious to see if the likes of Sibley and Watson are playing again 

Live on RamsTV

Surely Sibley and Watson will be down in Bristol with the first team squad?

These games are rotten timing,  would have worked better if we'd been at home tomorrow.