Debt versus mel spend

Archied

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Does MM even have a daughter?

Anyway, that's irrelevant.

What is the employment background of the family member and what role did he play within the recruitment team?

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/harry-croft-40868b54

Impressive. Those internships will have had him well prepared.

My mate Rev also referenced some of his early work above. https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2016/01/Derby-county-announce-own-the-region-project  Harry and Co soon lost the region.

Edited by i-Ram

17 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/harry-croft-40868b54

Impressive. Those internships will have had him well prepared.

My mate Rev also referenced some of his early work above. https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2016/01/Derby-county-announce-own-the-region-project  Harry and Co soon lost the region.

Cant see the linked in thing as I don't have an account.

What does it say?

I thought he was just involved in analytics?

@G STAR RAM details below. Harry got some kind of Diploma in 2014 after studying Business Management for 3 years at Nottingham University. He wasn’t apparently particularly sought after between May 2014 and Mar 2016 ?

Experience

Derby County Football Club

5 years 3 months

Head of Technical Scouting

Sep 2020 - Present 9 months

Derby, England, United Kingdom

Head of Emerging Talent Recruitment

Mar 2016 - Sep 2020 4 years 7 months

Derby, United Kingdom

In Emerging Talent we are looking to recruit elite players primarily from the UK, but we also target from all over Europe. This department specifically targets players between the age range of 16 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible.

Intern

Restoration Partners

Jun 2013 - Jul 2013 2 months

London, United Kingdom

I returned to Restoration Partners in 2013 because my experience the previous year significantly helped me to learn and excel in certain fields. I managed to learn even more in this period. Working with such knowledgeable and welcoming colleagues has such a substantial impact on my ability to listen and learn from experienced personnel. Restoration Partners is a superb business with clear targets and aspirations, and one I know will succeed in its endeavours.

Intern

Restoration Partners

Jul 2012 - Aug 2012 2 months

London, United Kingdom

Restoration Partners is a boutique technology Merchant Bank located in the centre of London. During my time at Restoration Partners I learnt a vast range of skills and expertise regarding banking and investment opportunities. The experienced employees already established there significantly helped me along and allowed me to develop my entrepreneurial skill set, and crucially opened my thinking in the way in which to analyse certain business prospects. Restoration Partners focuses on the…

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

How does one "learn" to be an entrepreneur? 

I've often thought the term was just a generic one to cover all instances of individuals who are driven by the sole desire of their own personal monetary enrichment.

By working for another entrepreneur and learning the ropes I imagine. I obviously don’t just mean being employed by Alan Sugar to wash his car but, you could work with another entrepreneur at a higher level and learn about how to set up and run a business.

16 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

@G STAR RAM details below. Harry got some kind of Diploma in 2014 after studying Business Management for 3 years at Nottingham University. He wasn’t apparently particularly sought after between May 2014 and Mar 2016 ?

Experience

5 years 3 months

Derby, United Kingdom

In Emerging Talent we are looking to recruit elite players primarily from the UK, but we also target from all over Europe. This department specifically targets players between the age range of 16 & 21 to either come into Derby County's U23 or U18 squads, with the overall objective of being able to progress through to the first team as quickly as possible.

Intern

Restoration Partners

London, United Kingdom

I returned to Restoration Partners in 2013 because my experience the previous year significantly helped me to learn and excel in certain fields. I managed to learn even more in this period. Working with such knowledgeable and welcoming colleagues has such a substantial impact on my ability to listen and learn from experienced personnel. Restoration Partners is a superb business with clear targets and aspirations, and one I know will succeed in its endeavours.

Intern

Restoration Partners

London, United Kingdom

Restoration Partners is a boutique technology Merchant Bank located in the centre of London. During my time at Restoration Partners I learnt a vast range of skills and expertise regarding banking and investment opportunities. The experienced employees already established there significantly helped me along and allowed me to develop my entrepreneurial skill set, and crucially opened my thinking in the way in which to analyse certain business prospects. Restoration Partners focuses on the…

is that it?

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

is that it?

Unless someone tells me different. Perhaps he was good at Championship Manager 2015, and Mrs Morris was insistent her lad needed to get out of his bedroom.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Unless someone tells me different. Perhaps he was good at Championship Manager 2015, and Mrs Morris was insistent her lad needed to get out of his bedroom.

in that case I think we have been damn lucky to hang to talent like that?

28 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Experience

5 years 3 months

Derby, United Kingdom

Intern

Restoration Partners

London, United Kingdom

Intern

Restoration Partners

London, United Kingdom

Would be interesting to know what 'Head of Emerging Talent' role entailed.

Who did we recruit during his time in that role? 

Any of the players that have gone on to play in the first team?

Is there any particular reason why you are bitching about a young man who none of you know and who only left school ten years ago? 

What did all your cv's look like at that age? 

Not to mention the fact that you know nothing of what the person has done/does at Derby County.

If he's the one picking up players like Louie Watson for the academy then on the face of it he's not done a bad job so far. 

5 minutes ago, angieram said:

Is there any particular reason why you are bitching about a young man who none of you know and who only left school ten years ago? 

What did all your cv's look like at that age? 

Not to mention the fact that you know nothing of what the person has done/does at Derby County.

If he's the one picking up players like Louie Watson for the academy then on the face of it he's not done a bad job so far. 

Ah, you miss the point. Nothing to do with young Harry. Good luck to him. Right place, right time and all that.

Jono suggested a little higher that Mel was let down by others in player recruitment, contracts, etc. I am just pointing out that Mel brought most of his problems upon himself by appointing the wrong people.  Harry Croft may well prove to be the best recruiter Derby have ever had, but he didn't seem to do much to justify his appointment, other than share a regular convivial muesli and orange juice breakfast with his father-in-law.

54 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Experience

Derby County Football Club: 5 years 3 months

Head of Technical Scouting - Sep 2020 - Present 9 months 

Head of Emerging Talent Recruitment - Mar 2016 - Sep 2020 4 years 7 months

His background appears to be IT? Financial as well - handy? ? Transferable skills I'd have thought.

Well if he was scouting emerging talent our U18s and U23s benefited from that?

Now he's gone into 'Technical Scouting' with us, is that the sort of thing Brentford rely on - scouting with stats? 

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

His background appears to be IT? Financial as well - handy? ? Transferable skills I'd have thought.

Well if he was scouting emerging talent our U18s and U23s benefited from that?

Now he's gone into 'Technical Scouting' with us, is that the sort of thing Brentford rely on - scouting with stats? 

I have no idea Roy, and I propose to say no more as 1) I dont want it to seem like I am bitching, and 2) we are going off thread somewhat. Up the Rams.

Just now, i-Ram said:

I have no idea Roy, and I propose to say no more as 1) I dont want it to seem like I am bitching, and 2) we are going off thread somewhat. Up the Rams.

Yeah. I was just pointing out to those suggesting that he was unqualified, that 1) he seemed to have qualifications in technical areas and 2) the area he worked in here benefitted - or looks to have?

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Ah, you miss the point. Nothing to do with young Harry. Good luck to him. Right place, right time and all that.

Jono suggested a little higher that Mel was let down by others in player recruitment, contracts, etc. I am just pointing out that Mel brought most of his problems upon himself by appointing the wrong people.  Harry Croft may well prove to be the best recruiter Derby have ever had, but he didn't seem to do much to justify his appointment, other than share a regular convivial muesli and orange juice breakfast with his father-in-law.

No, I don't miss the point. He has just spent five years bringing in new talent to the academy, filling some gaps in our homegrown players.

Whilst I know no more than you about who he has personally identified and brought in during this time, I can name lots of players who are quite an important part of our current academy teams who arrived at the club from other academies during that period. Watson, Ibrahim, Ebosele, Hutchinson, Triallist, Clarke, Idem all arrived during that time, and I am sure @Ghost of Clough could give you a definitive list if you are really interested.

Maybe his successes in that area led to his appointment in his current role. He has then spent nine months in that role as a technical scout, during which time we have had one transfer window when we were in a soft embargo during a pandemic. But hey, don't let that stop you rushing to judgement!

9 minutes ago, angieram said:

No, I don't miss the point. He has just spent five years bringing in new talent to the academy, filling some gaps in our homegrown players.

Whilst I know no more than you about who he has personally identified and brought in during this time, I can name lots of players who are quite an important part of our current academy teams who arrived at the club from other academies during that period. Watson, Ibrahim, Ebosele, Hutchinson, Triallist, Clarke, Idem all arrived during that time, and I am sure @Ghost of Clough could give you a definitive list if you are really interested.

Maybe his successes in that area led to his appointment in his current role. He has then spent nine months in that role as a technical scout, during which time we have had one transfer window when we were in a soft embargo during a pandemic. But hey, don't let that stop you rushing to judgement!

Still missing the point then.

To be clear I have no real interest in Harry Croft and his personal successes. As for what players have come in during his 5 year tenure what does that matter? Wouldn't we have got any players without Harry's input? @Ghost of Cloughno need for your input thanks ?

My point was, and still is, that Jono was stating that Mel has had a bad rub of the green (or been unlucky) with some of the people he has entrusted player recruitment and contracts with, and I am simply pointing out that if selecting a totally inexperienced recruiter (it would seem purely on the basis of nepotism given his CV) is symptomatic of his appointment strategy then no wonder he has got our club in a total mess on and off the field.

Edited by i-Ram

32 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Still missing the point then.

To be clear I have no real interest in Harry Croft and his personal successes. As for what players have come in during his 5 year tenure what does that matter? Wouldn't we have got any players without Harry's input? @Ghost of Cloughno need for your input thanks ?

My point was, and still is, that Jono was stating that Mel has had a bad rub of the green (or been unlucky) with some of the people he has entrusted player recruitment and contracts with, and I am simply pointing out that if selecting a totally inexperienced recruiter (it would seem purely on the basis of nepotism given his CV) is symptomatic of his appointment strategy then no wonder he has got our club in a total mess on and off the field.

I would think that his first appointment was a development role for a young man. Based on his success there, his recent first team appointment is probably more of a reaction by Mel to the lack of success of previous appointees in those sort of roles. Maybe he thinks he can't do any worse? Or maybe this is a new role to supplement the existing recruitment staff, as others have said, to try to improve our recruitment rationale. 

I would have no problem if you were criticising those people, but it seems churlish to pick on Harry Croft. You say you have no interest in him, but you have commented on his breakfast arrangements and speculated that he was not in demand when you really know nothing about any of that. I am sorry, but that sounds quite personal to me. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I would think that his first appointment was a development role for a young man. Based on his success there, his recent first team appointment is probably more of a reaction by Mel to the lack of success of previous appointees in those sort of roles. Maybe he thinks he can't do any worse? Or maybe this is a new role to supplement the existing recruitment staff, as others have said, to try to improve our recruitment rationale. 

I would have no problem if you were criticising those people, but it seems churlish to pick on Harry Croft. You say you have no interest in him, but you have commented on his breakfast arrangements and speculated that he was not in demand when you really know nothing about any of that. I am sorry, but that sounds quite personal to me. 

Let It Go Reaction GIF by Super Deluxe

2 hours ago, i-Ram said:

I think Harry Croft is actually Mel's step son. 

Edited by TheSlate