Rams Trust: A Letter to the Club

Nuwtfly

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, ossieram said:

They wanted it cheap to maximise their profits when they sold. 

According to Pickering. 

6 minutes ago, enachops said:

I don’t remember there being that much animosity towards Pickering, the odd murmuring of discontent.

There bloody was.

36 minutes ago, Asheville Ram said:

The Co-Op bank called in their loans and put the club into liquidation, it was they who sold the club for £3 to the 3 Amigo's not Lionel, I believe there was some animosity between Peter Gadsby and Lionel Pickering although that information came from one of Lionels friends so I cannot verify its authenticity. Lionel paid £1m for the club invested £10m of his own cash and got no thanks from the fans, (sound familiar) he famously went on radio Derby and said " to the moaners and whining fans "If you can do better, where's your money - and if you don't like it, go and watch Forest.” 

I bet Mel would like to do something similar.

Went into receivership I think

3 minutes ago, enachops said:

Harsh if so. Pickering was a great chairman. Yes it went sour in his latter couple of years, but he did so much good for Derby. It certainly wasn’t to the Maxwell levels. 

The problem was the latter years. Somewhat like we're seeing now I think.

33 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Because he believed the local interest was more interested in making a quick profit than actually taking the club forward. 

Again it’s a long time ago but I kind of remember Pickering wanting said others to invest rather than refuse to invest but leverage full control on the cheap once the club was in deeper trouble , certain people managed to later act the knight on white charger role?, sure there’s plenty of complications in there and personality power struggles but my view was Pickering was treated badly considering his input over his ownership term??‍♂️

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Derby County fraud exposes English football's 'fit and proper' test | Derby County | The Guardian

"It quickly turned out that the money the trio had brought to support their takeover was a £15m loan, costing 10 per cent interest a year, from a company, the ABC Corporation, registered in Panama. The source of those millions has never been confirmed; they dealt with an ABC representative in London, Philip Englefield. Senior sources at Queens Park Rangers, who had also borrowed money from ABC – around £10m – believed their money came from Michael Hunt, the former Nissan UK managing director who in 1993 was sentenced to eight years in prison for his role in the UK's largest ever tax fraud. At Derby Keith said of ABC: "We can't categorically say who was involved." But Sleightholme said they had no dealing with Hunt.

Presented with the ABC money to reduce £27m it was owed, the Co-Op Bank put Derby into receivership. Then the club was immediately sold to Keith's consortium. The manoeuvre cost the former chairman, Lionel Pickering, who had overseen Derby's 1997 move to Pride Park, £12m and significant sums were also lost by other shareholders, including the property developer and Derby County supporter Peter Gadsby.

Judge Ian Alexander, who on Monday at Northampton Crown Court sentenced Keith to 18 months in prison for false accounting and Mackay and Mackenzie each to three years for conspiracy to defraud, said those three had become "controllers of the club for the sum of £3". Lowe was sentenced to two years for money laundering.

Blimey, that's like unearthing an photo album of years gone by. ABC, Panama, Nissan, Sleightholme - I'd genuinely forgotten all about that. All we need now is that photo of Murdo McLeod snickering as the piper walks around Moor Farm on Burns Night and the recollections will be complete. Train set anyone?

45 minutes ago, enachops said:

Harsh if so. Pickering was a great chairman. Yes it went sour in his latter couple of years, but he did so much good for Derby. It certainly wasn’t to the Maxwell levels. 

His son beat him up over it, that's how bad it got for him.

35 minutes ago, Archied said:

Again it’s a long time ago but I kind of remember Pickering wanting said others to invest rather than refuse to invest but leverage full control on the cheap once the club was in deeper trouble , certain people managed to later act the knight on white charger role?, sure there’s plenty of complications in there and personality power struggles but my view was Pickering was treated badly considering his input over his ownership term??‍♂️

I think anyone that invests the money that Mel and Lionel did, with good intent, doesn't deserve to be tarred and feathered for it because they do more than any contributor to this forum would do in the same situation - I can all but guarantee that. But both needed protecting from themselves, and both had a tendency to let their boyhood dreams run away with them. Shame really, as both will ultimately end up leaving the club in a pretty shabby state - irrespective of how much they wished it not to end like this.

2 minutes ago, Bluedogmaz said:

Signed on behalf of Derby County support?

I want aware of them asking my views or any other Derby Fans I am friends with.

For the record I do not endorse this letter.

Well don't tell me, it's nowt to do with me.

Tell the Club - write to them and tell them. Let us know if you get a reply.

57 minutes ago, Archied said:

My thoughts also

23 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I think anyone that invests the money that Mel and Lionel did, with good intent, doesn't deserve to be tarred and feathered for it because they do more than any contributor to this forum would do in the same situation - I can all but guarantee that. But both needed protecting from themselves, and both had a tendency to let their boyhood dreams run away with them. Shame really, as both will ultimately end up leaving the club in a pretty shabby state - irrespective of how much they wished it not to end like this.

Perhaps but in all honesty it’s the self appointed people that decide these people need protecting from themselves and how to do it that worry me more??‍♂️

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well don't tell me, it's nowt to do with me.

Tell the Club - write to them and tell them. Let us know if you get a reply.

Why would you tell the club about a group of individuals purporting to represent the fan base when it’s absolutely clear that they don’t?
Surely the charlatans involved should be revising the letter they wrote with out authority to do so!

6 minutes ago, Rosythram said:

Why would you tell the club about a group of individuals purporting to represent the fan base when it’s absolutely clear that they don’t?
Surely the charlatans involved should be revising the letter they wrote with out authority to do so!

"Do the points raised reflect your own concerns?

Wholly -  18 %

Mostly -  69 %

Partly -  50 %

Not at all - 20 % "

You say they don't represent the fan base - yet if you look at the stats on the poll on here about how many agree with what was in the letter then maybe you're wrong. So write and tell them you don't support those fans.

Or do nothing.

Archived