Is VAR Ruining Football?

DCFC Kicks

The FA Cup final today was the most high profile instance on VAR ruining football in my opinion. 

It doesn't matter if the decision is right or not. Putting the ball in the net, celebrating and knowing it's a goal all in the same moment is the best part of football. VAR puts an element of doubt behind every "goal" and ruins the moment. Every time I see a goal in a VAR game the first thing I think is "is this going to be VAR'd?" Yes? No?... and then the moment is gone and it's just boring, whether it went to VAR or not. 

I actually watch less Premier League games now because of it. 

Even though VAR would have ruled out 2 of Wednesday's goals last week I still don't want it in the Championship, The Wednesday game last week was brilliant entertainment and if VAR was involved it would have ruined it. 

Just now, DCFClks said:

The FA Cup final today was the most high profile instance on VAR ruining football in my opinion. 

It doesn't matter if the decision is right or not. Putting the ball in the net, celebrating and knowing it's a goal all in the same moment is the best part of football. VAR puts an element of doubt behind every "goal" and ruins the moment. Every time I see a goal in a VAR game the first thing I think is "is this going to be VAR'd?" Yes? No?... and then the moment is gone and it's just boring, whether it went to VAR or not. 

Even though VAR would have ruled out 2 of Wednesday's goals last week I still don't want it in the Championship, The Wednesday game last week was brilliant entertainment and if VAR was involved it would have ruined it. 

Nah,nobody wanted Chelsea to win anyway 

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

in a word, yes.

I don't like how it kills the emotion in the game. I think it should be used for goal line decisions and red card decisions, but I would prefer to not use it on offsides and handballs. 

VAR is awful, and pundits are enjoying criticising it, but it is the likes of sky with their dozens of camera angles that are responsible for it.

They enjoyed picking refs up on wrong decisions because they had the benefit of replays from every angle you can imagine, perhaps if they hadnt been so keen to destroy a ref because he made a wrong decision because they could replay it 100 times we wouldnt be in this position today.

Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch gives a great description of why people love (or loved) football. Paraphrasing, he states that you can go from complete despair to utter joy with one kick of the ball - VAR has taken that away - one kick of the ball, utter joy, the 1-2 (or longer) delay and then back to despair.

Tielemans scores a worldy, but we all have to wait to see if there might have been the vaguest of handballs in the run up to the goal - Chilwell scores against the team he played for (and their pathetic fans that booed him throughout) and his goal is ruled out because in the frame that's chosen to review (with a 5-6 inch margin of error) his knee-cap was offside....football is dying in front of our eyes - may as well stage Playstation tournaments than watch this shallow imitation of the game we loved....

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Nick Hornby's book Fever Pitch gives a great description of why people love (or loved) football. Paraphrasing, he states that you can go from complete despair to utter joy with one kick of the ball - VAR has taken that away - one kick of the ball, utter joy, the 1-2 (or longer) delay and then back to despair.

Tielemans scores a worldy, but we all have to wait to see if there might have been the vaguest of handballs in the run up to the goal - Chilwell scores against the team he played for (and their pathetic fans that booed him throughout) and his goal is ruled out because in the frame that's chosen to review (with a 5-6 inch margin of error) his knee-cap was offside....football is dying in front of our eyes - may as well stage Playstation tournaments than watch this shallow imitation of the game we loved....

Yes but at the end of the day Chilwell was offside so it was the correct decision. The Linesman should have seen that. So happy Leicester won. 

54 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

Yes but at the end of the day Chilwell was offside so it was the correct decision. The Linesman should have seen that. So happy Leicester won. 

Chilwell's kneecap was given as offside but the cameras that VAR use have a margin of error bigger than a kneecap - therefore no-one can be sure wheter he was offside or not. But the discussion is whether VAR is ruining football, not whether you're a closet Leicestaer supporter ?

2 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

But is it really worth it just for the correct decision? Some players have already said they celebrate goals less because of the doubt. 

What would have happened if VAR wasn't in the final yesterday? Everyone would have just said Chilwell was level, and that would be it.

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

There is a way of making it easier. Apply the goal line rule. More than half the body in front of the last defender is offside, if it's so close to call it's not offside. Goals are good, right. I remember Derby County scored one once and I smiled for a few seconds.

But then it would just be whether it was 1/2 the body or 3/5 of the the body in front of the last defender and we'd need 10mins of VAR to check?