Is VAR Ruining Football?

DCFC Kicks

2 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

But then it would just be whether it was 1/2 the body or 3/5 of the the body in front of the last defender and we'd need 10mins of VAR to check?

Ok, any part of the attacker's body behind any part of the defender's. Even a little finger playing him onside.

16 hours ago, bimmerman said:

Nah,nobody wanted Chelsea to win anyway 

I did.

I'm a seething cauldron of jealousy over Leicester doing so well.

Sheer unadulterated envy is coursing through my body like molten larvor spilling from Krakatoa.

I literally vomited myself to sleep last night whilst punching a fox I caught in our garden to death.

We should be Leicester and until we are I'm denying reality.

30 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Ok, any part of the attacker's body behind any part of the defender's. Even a little finger playing him onside.

they all where those tracking devices in their bras.  That is a definitive place on the pitch just add some variance so that it is not just to the millimeter

1 hour ago, DCFClks said:

But is it really worth it just for the correct decision? Some players have already said they celebrate goals less because of the doubt. 

What would have happened if VAR wasn't in the final yesterday? Everyone would have just said Chilwell was level, and that would be it.

This!

Referees, umpires, officials make duff calls sometimes in all sports. But they get the vast majority right in a split second relying on judgment and experience, and in a game like football where there is a lot of interpretation anyway it's just not worth runing the flow and spontanius nature of the game in the name of getting everything "right" - it doesn't make the "show" better, and the argument that so much depends financially on thee decisions does not indicate a need for VAR, it indicates football is a silly thing to spend so much money on.

One reson I like football so much as a sport is that it doesn't stop until half time, then doesn't stop until full time. It's supposed to be fast, fateiguing, relentless and spontainuous. Anyhting that dampens that runins the game - yes I include time wasteing in that and hate it as much as everyone else, but I don't want the clock stopping because then every stop will be several minutes whilst the coaches run the play and players commitees decide what's happening.....(sorry, ranting on a bit there)

"We had to kill it to save it....." is the VAR epitaph.

Football is very different to other sports because the rules are not always very clear. When they use technology in cricket and tennis for example, the decisions are black and white. And they use it on a review basis rather than have it in play all the time. That's why I think it works in them sports.

With football, the technology in my opinion is only good for checking if the ball goes over the goal line and the offsides (which is awful at the moment and needs changes). We don't need a video assistant for any other decisions in my opinion. What needs to happen is more power to the other 3 officials on the field. How many times has an incident been seen by a linesman or a fourth official, who have the best view, yet they will not overrule a referee or explain the incident with the referee. 

VAR interrupts the flow of a football match which irritates everybody involved. The decisions take far too long, it should be a 30 second review, if it's not clear and obvious then the game carries on. I don't want to see Mike Dean arse around for 5 minutes deciding if somebody slightly went into a tackle too late. That benefits nobody. Make the decisions quicker or scrap it off.

Yes yes yes, after the cup final I signed up to a petition to get VAR kicked out of the Prem.

Clear and obvious error = both goals stand

micri decisions = both goals disallowed

one stands and one doesn’t Var is shot and not fit for purpose.

Use it for booking players who dive and fake injury, I would support that otherwise throw it in the bin for flocks sake. 
if that had been Derby’s goal to stay up the other week or England’s in the Euro final next month I think I I’ll be completely done with football. Starting to prefer a neutral rugby game anyway

6 minutes ago, Dethorn said:

Yes yes yes, after the cup final I signed up to a petition to get VAR kicked out of the Prem.

Clear and obvious error = both goals stand

micri decisions = both goals disallowed

one stands and one doesn’t Var is shot and not fit for purpose.

Use it for booking players who dive and fake injury, I would support that otherwise throw it in the bin for flocks sake. 
if that had been Derby’s goal to stay up the other week or England’s in the Euro final next month I think I I’ll be completely done with football. Starting to prefer a neutral rugby game anyway

For me whether or not it's the right decision comes secondary. Without VAR Chilwell scores (or causes O.G) against his former club in the last minute in an FA Cup final, the ref signals it's a goal and the fans/players let themselves go and celebrate knowing it's a goal, it should be an exciting moment. But with VAR the fans/players can't let themselves fully go and enjoy the moment because when the ref signals it's a goal it's not 100% a goal, and when the goal is finally confirmed or not, the moment is over. It's just boring.

51 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

This!

Referees, umpires, officials make duff calls sometimes in all sports. But they get the vast majority right in a split second relying on judgment and experience, and in a game like football where there is a lot of interpretation anyway it's just not worth runing the flow and spontanius nature of the game in the name of getting everything "right" - it doesn't make the "show" better, and the argument that so much depends financially on thee decisions does not indicate a need for VAR, it indicates football is a silly thing to spend so much money on.

One reson I like football so much as a sport is that it doesn't stop until half time, then doesn't stop until full time. It's supposed to be fast, fateiguing, relentless and spontainuous. Anyhting that dampens that runins the game - yes I include time wasteing in that and hate it as much as everyone else, but I don't want the clock stopping because then every stop will be several minutes whilst the coaches run the play and players commitees decide what's happening.....(sorry, ranting on a bit there)

"We had to kill it to save it....." is the VAR epitaph.

I agree. For me referee errors are part of the drama of the game. It feels like people are forgetting that football is primarily meant to be entertainment. It doesn't have to be an exact science, especially if it takes some of the passion away. I think more players, refs, FA executives etc. are in favour of VAR because football is there job and they don't see it a entertainment.

43 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

Football is very different to other sports because the rules are not always very clear. When they use technology in cricket and tennis for example, the decisions are black and white. And they use it on a review basis rather than have it in play all the time. That's why I think it works in them sports.

With football, the technology in my opinion is only good for checking if the ball goes over the goal line and the offsides (which is awful at the moment and needs changes). We don't need a video assistant for any other decisions in my opinion. What needs to happen is more power to the other 3 officials on the field. How many times has an incident been seen by a linesman or a fourth official, who have the best view, yet they will not overrule a referee or explain the incident with the referee. 

VAR interrupts the flow of a football match which irritates everybody involved. The decisions take far too long, it should be a 30 second review, if it's not clear and obvious then the game carries on. I don't want to see Mike Dean arse around for 5 minutes deciding if somebody slightly went into a tackle too late. That benefits nobody. Make the decisions quicker or scrap it off.

I think with Tennis, it's very similar to how goal line technology is in Football, which I don't think anyone has a problem with. With Cricket it's a more slow paced game anyway and many of the wickets are subjective and take time to decide anyway. I think VAR should only be used for obvious dives or off the ball incidents. When a goal goes in and the ref gives it, it has to be 100% a goal, anything that interferes with that will ruin the game.

22 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

I agree. For me referee errors are part of the drama of the game. It feels like people are forgetting that football is primarily meant to be entertainment. It doesn't have to be an exact science, especially if it takes some of the passion away. I think more players, refs, FA executives etc. are in favour of VAR because football is there job and they don't see it a entertainment.

So much rests on a single ref’s mistake, not far from someone like Gibson suing the efl or the ref a mistake.  I think the genie is out the bottle and clear and obvious is just a phrase

VAR isnt the problem despite my dislike for it, its those using it.

If a decision takes minutes to arrive at its clearly being used wrong, no problem with it being used for offside, but have it so you only call it offside if you can tell visually, no stupid lines being drawn that still dont give you 100% confidence.

I think a time limit should apply for when the ref views the screen, 30 seconds, if its not obvious in that space of time then leave it.

For me whether or not it's the right decision comes secondary. Without VAR Chilwell scores (or causes O.G) against his former club in the last minute in an FA Cup final, the ref signals it's a goal and the fans/players let themselves go and celebrate knowing it's a goal, it should be an exciting moment. But with VAR the fans/players can't let themselves fully go and enjoy the moment because when the ref signals it's a goal it's not 100% a goal, and when the goal is finally confirmed or not, the moment is over. It's just boring.

I totally agree, but they would have a case if it were right, they don’t imho

this.