One album per decade

Kinder

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I don't trust decades in music really. London Calling is the peak of, what I think as, 70s British Punk and it came out in 1980.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

This is right. Decades as a division of anything is going to be inaccurate. 

I guess what you could do is, instead of listing albums released in the 80s, 90s you could list albums released in your teens, 20s, 30s & so on?

Edited by Coconut

On 25/04/2021 at 10:43, AndyinLiverpool said:

Blonde on Blonde

Blood on the tracks

Oh Mercy

Time out of Mind

Modern Times

Tempest

Like Robert Zimmerman do you Andy?

For a brilliant poet and composer with a terrible singing voice his 'Blood on the tracks' has to be one of the greatest Albums ever!

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

According to Don McLean it died on 3 February 1959.

I have Buddy Holly's second album on vinyl. Called 'Buddy Holly'

People discuss how much the Beatles achieved in eight years.

See how much Buddy achieved in 18 months and imagine what might have been had he lived.

He influenced the Beatles and the Stones who acknowledged his genius.

It is rightly said that he has continued to influence popular music ever since!

3 hours ago, Jubbs said:

This intrigues me as so many people don't like the album. I love it myself, how unique it is in comparison to their others, basically a completely different genre

I think it's their best since Whatever People Say I Am... which came out when I was 14 and basically soundtrack the next 7 years or so.

On TBH&C, I think lyrically it's beguiling, and musically I think the arrangements are up there with anything else. There's just so many little moments in each song that are like whoa didn't see that coming, or that sounds complete gibberish at first but actually it works. Backing vocals/guitars/piano motifs with headphones on that you pick up something you didn't hear the first or twenty first time. And it just works as a complete package - couldn't tell you what was a single off it but such a coherent album.

Unlike their other releases I didn't even realise it was coming out til it was out, read nothing about it, heard no hype and it grabbed me on first listen.

1940s - 'Glenn Miller and his Orchestra'

1950s - Dave Brubeck 'Time Out'

1960s - 'Velvet Underground & Nico'

1970s - Buzzcocks 'Going Steady' - Although 'Big War Movie Themes' was the album I played the most in the 70's ?

1980s - 'The Stone Roses' - If it had been released a year later The Smiths would have got this with 'Hatful of Hollow'

1990s - Nirvana 'Nevermind'

2000s - The Killers 'Hot Fuss'

2010s on - Struggling now, I think the way I listen to music changed, I've never heard it but Adele's 21 must be somewhere and anything by 1 Direction 'cos my daughter runs an instagram fan page for them ? 

Edited by RebelScum

50s    Buddy Holly:     Buddy Holly

60s:   Piper at the Gates of Dawn:   Pink Floyd

70s:   2112:   Rush

80s:   Number of the Beast:   Iron Maiden

90s:   Rainbow Rising:   Rainbow   (a blatent cheat it was remastered and rereleased in the 90s)

00s:   Thirteen Fires:  Blue Horses.  (you've propably never heard of them but trust me they were great)