Who is actually in overall charge at Derby at the moment .

Curtains

Absolutely no idea who is charge at the present time and nobody is making the decision that needs to be made as we sleepwalk into league 1.

Alonso is waiting on the efl apparently and Mel has clearly washed his hands of us.

So here we are,a club in free fall with two pilots sitting in the cockpit,neither of which is holding the controls and pulling us out of a death dive.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, as I’ve always said I wouldn’t have expected a Technical Director to be involved in coaching directly anyway, so think that story of McClaren being “marginalised” was something of nothing. I don’t think anything has changed there, the buck has always stopped with Rooney, both when we were doing well, and now when we’re terrible. The biggest question is why wasn’t McClaren made manager rather than Rooney in the first place, since he’s the one actually qualified to do the job...

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

To be honest, as I’ve always said I wouldn’t have expected a Technical Director to be involved in coaching directly anyway, so think that story of McClaren being “marginalised” was something of nothing. I don’t think anything has changed there, the buck has always stopped with Rooney, both when we were doing well, and now when we’re terrible. The biggest question is why wasn’t McClaren made manager rather than Rooney in the first place, since he’s the one actually qualified to do the job...

We know why....despite knowing we were in deep poo and realising that Rooney and co were really not equipped to manage the team he just couldn't bring himself to appoint Mac in light of sacking him twice previously......grudgingly tho,he knew that Mac was good at his job so pursuaded him to come along and coach Rooney,if not the team itself.

Wayne took over,initially took some advice then thought,this managing lark is a piece of piss,I'm not having Mac taking my glory,he can duck right off.

And it all goes to rat poo,changes to personnel, systems and tactics on a weekly basis causing chaos on the field.

So Mac now sits there with his head in his hands and in the directors box I noted today,probably knowing what this team is actually capable of doing with the right coaching but Rooney is too bloody stubborn and possibly too dim to ask for help.

We are likely to go down because of his obstinacy.

So.....all of this could have been afforded if Mel has swallowed his pride and done the right thing in the first place.

26 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We know why....despite knowing we were in deep poo and realising that Rooney and co were really not equipped to manage the team he just couldn't bring himself to appoint Mac in light of sacking him twice previously......grudgingly tho,he knew that Mac was good at his job so pursuaded him to come along and coach Rooney,if not the team itself.

Wayne took over,initially took some advice then thought,this managing lark is a piece of piss,I'm not having Mac taking my glory,he can duck right off.

And it all goes to rat poo,changes to personnel, systems and tactics on a weekly basis causing chaos on the field.

So Mac now sits there with his head in his hands and in the directors box I noted today,probably knowing what this team is actually capable of doing with the right coaching but Rooney is too bloody stubborn and possibly too dim to ask for help.

So.....all of this could have been afforded if Mel has swallowed his pride and done the right thing in the first place.

That does seem a very plausible scenario. It all comes down to ego really, both Rooney’s and Mel’s. Wayne thinks he’s some sort of managerial genius, hence all the constant tactical changes. He won’t take advice from anyone. And Mel’s ego is the overall reason why we’re in this mess. All the baalocks 50% academy stuff, celebrity appointments etc etc. He just can’t stand to appoint a proper manager who’s right for the job, and let them get on with it. The constant changes of direction of the club have destroyed us. Mel has brought this club to ruins, and he’s going to leave the mess for someone else to clean up.

39 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Did you see his face when he left his seat after the the second goal? Looked like he couldn't believe what was happening.

Running  out of games 

to be honest - Rooney I don’t think will be here next Season anyway

my strategy with 5 games to go remains unchanged 

let Steve Mc set the final two games up on the pitch (to try and nab a draw / win / pts) 

6 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

That does seem a very plausible scenario. It all comes down to ego really, both Rooney’s and Mel’s. Wayne thinks he’s some sort of managerial genius, hence all the constant tactical changes. He won’t take advice from anyone. And Mel’s ego is the overall reason why we’re in this mess. All the baalocks 50% academy stuff, celebrity appointments etc etc. He just can’t stand to appoint a proper manager who’s right for the job, and let them get on with it. The constant changes of direction of the club have destroyed us. Mel has brought this club to ruins, and he’s going to leave the mess for someone else to clean up.

Part of me thinks the only way to completely reset our club and get of Rooney & the rest is relegation. The thought that we might survive only to have Rooney still in charge next season fills me with horror. He is utterly clueless.

2 minutes ago, Jayram said:

Part of me thinks the only way to completely reset our club and get of Rooney & the rest is relegation. The thought that we might survive only to have Rooney still in charge next season fills me with horror. He is utterly clueless.

Thing is we will more than likely stay up i think, only due to the awful form of other clubs, and it will be celebrated as a success because he took over with us being bottom.

McClaren could well be distancing himself from the football side of things. Whose to say he hasn’t looked at the squad and decided to keep well away from a poor group of players and not tarnish his record at Derby? My own view has changed across the season. When Cocu went I thought that for whatever reason he and his team were not getting the best out of a average group of players. As he came under more pressure, poor selections & tactical decisions exacerbated this. We’ve ultimately seen exactly the same with Rooney. This isn’t an average group of players at all, they are poor. Bowyers assessment that he got his ball players on to play through us says it all as that’s the reaction of a manager who knows that he’s got better players than what he’s up against. Bird & Sibely came on and made zero impact I think they both touched the ball twice.

Our experienced players aren’t good enough and however unpopular a comment neither are our academy players currently. They may well go on a become to the players we all hope for but if one of Bird, Buchanan, Knight and Sibley made it to lower prem that we be an exceptional outcome at this stage. Other impacting factors for me has been how poor Marshall has been. For whatever reason he has escaped the level of criticism other keepers have faced at Derby for some of his performances. Byrne has looked pretty good but I do wonder if he flatters to deceive. Is it any coincidence that both he and Marshall have been in consecutive relegation battles? Wisdom is bang average and Clarke looks great when he’s doing good things but does he have too many switch off moments? Fozzy gives it his all but is two injuries past his sell by date and Buchanan has gone from playing for England within a year ( Frankly embarrassing remark from Rooney) to looking very much like many young players trying to find a foothold in his career. In midfield the endeavour of Knight and Shinnie is without question and nobody can accuse those two of not giving their all, but for me ability wise they have simply not been good enough. Bird has ability but lacks the athletic robustness to make it count enough of the time. In tough games or if you go behind he lacks the physicality to place himself at the centre of the game to give his ability a platform to control a game on a consistent basis. This has nothing to do with size either as lots of slender  midfield schemers develop that toughness. His defensive off the ball game is also lacking but that could and should be coached. Lawerence has just been Lawerence. In a better team his frailties are not as exposed and everybody knows across the game his problem is between his ears. Opposition managers will just say show him outside and if he cuts in get in the block. Jozwiak has been disappointing, from goals and points perspective  he has provided virtually nothing as a return. Sibley is a bit of an Enigma. I was genuinely excited about his talent when he broke through but if we’re being honest he has looked every inch an academy level player aside from the goal vs Bournemouth. I could be wrong but they’re seems to be more to the whole Sibley thing than meets the eye. CKR is one of the few players who has over achieved coming from a low base of expectation. Lastly Bielik who is certainly one of the best players to pull on a Derby shirt this century in my opinion. The gulf between his level and the rest of our team is staggering and potentially one of the reasons he looked so good. If he hadn’t been injured 1st or 2nd time there isn’t a cat in hells chance we’d be where we are now, Cocu might still be in the Job if his 1st injury didn’t happen. Rooney would be being lauded if the 2nd injury didn’t happen. It’s an absolute crime that this guy could potentially be returning to full fitness as a league 1 player. 

If Rooney got his marching orders would McClaren be mad to take this group of players on? Probably 

1 hour ago, Jayram said:

There's always next season. If this takeover fails again then we'll be relying on youth even more next season also with a possible points deduction. Only kicking the can down the road for me - may as well get it over with and relegate ourselves now

29 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

McClaren could well be distancing himself from the football side of things. Whose to say he hasn’t looked at the squad and decided to keep well away from a poor group of players and not tarnish his record at Derby? My own view has changed across the season. When Cocu went I thought that for whatever reason he and his team were not getting the best out of a average group of players. As he came under more pressure, poor selections & tactical decisions exacerbated this. We’ve ultimately seen exactly the same with Rooney. This isn’t an average group of players at all, they are poor. Bowyers assessment that he got his ball players on to play through us says it all as that’s the reaction of a manager who knows that he’s got better players than what he’s up against. Bird & Sibely came on and made zero impact I think they both touched the ball twice.

Our experienced players aren’t good enough and however unpopular a comment neither are our academy players currently. They may well go on a become to the players we all hope for but if one of Bird, Buchanan, Knight and Sibley made it to lower prem that we be an exceptional outcome at this stage. Other impacting factors for me has been how poor Marshall has been. For whatever reason he has escaped the level of criticism other keepers have faced at Derby for some of his performances. Byrne has looked pretty good but I do wonder if he flatters to deceive. Is it any coincidence that both he and Marshall have been in consecutive relegation battles? Wisdom is bang average and Clarke looks great when he’s doing good things but does he have too many switch off moments? Fozzy gives it his all but is two injuries past his sell by date and Buchanan has gone from playing for England within a year ( Frankly embarrassing remark from Rooney) to looking very much like many young players trying to find a foothold in his career. In midfield the endeavour of Knight and Shinnie is without question and nobody can accuse those two of not giving their all, but for me ability wise they have simply not been good enough. Bird has ability but lacks the athletic robustness to make it count enough of the time. In tough games or if you go behind he lacks the physicality to place himself at the centre of the game to give his ability a platform to control a game on a consistent basis. This has nothing to do with size either as lots of slender  midfield schemers develop that toughness. His defensive off the ball game is also lacking but that could and should be coached. Lawerence has just been Lawerence. In a better team his frailties are not as exposed and everybody knows across the game his problem is between his ears. Opposition managers will just say show him outside and if he cuts in get in the block. Jozwiak has been disappointing, from goals and points perspective  he has provided virtually nothing as a return. Sibley is a bit of an Enigma. I was genuinely excited about his talent when he broke through but if we’re being honest he has looked every inch an academy level player aside from the goal vs Bournemouth. I could be wrong but they’re seems to be more to the whole Sibley thing than meets the eye. CKR is one of the few players who has over achieved coming from a low base of expectation. Lastly Bielik who is certainly one of the best players to pull on a Derby shirt this century in my opinion. The gulf between his level and the rest of our team is staggering and potentially one of the reasons he looked so good. If he hadn’t been injured 1st or 2nd time there isn’t a cat in hells chance we’d be where we are now, Cocu might still be in the Job if his 1st injury didn’t happen. Rooney would be being lauded if the 2nd injury didn’t happen. It’s an absolute crime that this guy could potentially be returning to full fitness as a league 1 player. 

If Rooney got his marching orders would McClaren be mad to take this group of players on? Probably 

Agree with all that. On the academy players, there is probably a good reason why clubs tend to try and blend only 1 (or certainly very few) into a team at any moment. Simple fact is the squad is so trash it hasn't even been a choice, the academy players are our first teamers, forget development when you are throwing them into crunch games like Wednesday final day for the club to survive...

Years of arguably the most abysmal recruitment in the football league relative to club size:spending ratio has left us here. I don't think the rest of the Championship will miss us if the worst happens, having tried to do it the way we did and to have failed so spectacularly there will be a lot looking forward to the egg on our faces. I am also not in the view that gong down will have ANY benefit to our club either, if a reorganisation needs to be done (and certainly looks that way) it can be done in the Championship for a club that ultimately aspires to be a Premier League club. Ever the pessimist here but I'd fear we'd re-create our Championship troubles the league under, could easily spend 15 years+ trying to get out of that league. It is not a given.

8 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Bit of a mouthful but when fans are back in the ground next season could we get a new chant going.....along the lines of ‘ Wazza is a managerial genius’ ....the opposition fans might wet themselves but it might get the lads pumped up against the likes of Shrewsbury and the Green Army ??

43 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Totally (almost) agree, I would add that Byrne is not a good defender, he is all over the place. 
We have some very talented academy players but they need to be brought into a team where the senior players have they right mental strength, our senior players simply have not. 
poor recruitment, we have a total mismatch of players. 
That is the starting point. Much work to be done and if it means selling a couple of youngsters that is fine. 

52 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

Crikey, read the first half of the post, will have a little rest and then read the second half ?

Archived