F1 2021

Gaspode

On 12/07/2021 at 20:06, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Got tickets for the F1 at Silverstone this w/e cheapo (ish) ones, not in the stands. Never been so dont really know where to go, where to stand, food, time to get there etc...

any tips greatly appreciated, thanks

One other thing to add to other comments. Don’t go to the car park straight after the race, chances are unless you leave bang on the chequered flag, you’ll be stuck hours.

So go round to the main stage it’s kind of a horseshoe between Village and Luffield, loads of merchandise and eateries near and around it. This year it’s Becky Hill and she’s pretty good. You get to hear the drivers interviewed after too, though no idea what Covid year will mean as to crowds (doubt much once in). Better than sat in car park inching forward for ages.

12 hours ago, Duracell said:

Forgot to mention, @EtoileSportiveDeDerby, that last time I went I took the train and then got a taxi to the circuit. The taxi driver at Northampton station said he knew a back road which would save us an hour, and having been to Silverstone dozens of times growing up, I thought "yeah right." But he genuinely did know a backroad, from which he picked us up after. Managed to get from track back to the station in 30 mins. Worth considering!

This has got better. Maybe it's because I live in London or because I go to lots of concerts/gigs, but kind of feels like food stalls and beer in general has inflated to the point where it's caught up with Silverstone prices.

Totally agree about making the support races. F2 can be really entertaining.

F2 was great when Norris and Russell were scrapping a couple of years back.

6 hours ago, Zag zig said:

One other thing to add to other comments. Don’t go to the car park straight after the race, chances are unless you leave bang on the chequered flag, you’ll be stuck hours.

So go round to the main stage it’s kind of a horseshoe between Village and Luffield, loads of merchandise and eateries near and around it. This year it’s Becky Hill and she’s pretty good. You get to hear the drivers interviewed after too, though no idea what Covid year will mean as to crowds (doubt much once in). Better than sat in car park inching forward for ages.

Thanks for that. I wasnt aware about the music until my son told me about it. Definitely a bonus!

17 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Thanks for that. I wasnt aware about the music until my son told me about it. Definitely a bonus!

Always a bonus, get some half decent acts. Enjoyed Rick Parfitt Jnr the other year. As for Becky Hill she’s backed up no end recently, last time saw her was with Pete Tonge and the Heritage Orchestra; she’s ok for a young Worcester lass.

On 12/07/2021 at 20:34, RadioactiveWaste said:

I've never been to the new layout but did go one year with my dad (2006 i think, Alonso winning everything the year we went). Enjoy, it's an amazing spectical in person. I was amazed at how you can really focus in and see the detail of who is driving smothly, agressivly, who has a good balance, who is fighting the car etc through the spot you're wating at.

getting in and out the track took forever. I'd suggest the best thing is to try to get the full day's worth and head down early, there will be quality support races before the grand prix and you'll be able to find a spot better.

food and drink wise there are bars and typical food vans etc, all will be busy, all will be more expensive than they're worth. we took some picknic with us and that was ok.

Merch on sale inside the track will be astronmically expensive (like make you wonder how the dcfc megastore oporate on wafer thin margins expensive).

take some ear buds. I know they've toned it down since the v10 days but f1 cars are still quite loud.

I think there's banking for general access tickets along from the end of copse and down to hanger strait but apart from that I don't know for the new layout.

Prices are mad £6,50 pint. Heineken everywhere all the same price cos F1 got a deals nobody is allowed to sell anything else any cheaper. Merchandise cap is 50 t-shirt around 80

On 17/07/2021 at 17:11, RadioactiveWaste said:

Two words: Fernando Alonso.

However, it's quite clear that one look at Checo's moment and the "Do not take risks in the sprint" mantra will become cast iron very quickly.

In more positive news, my boy #mazespin managed 3 corners before a beautiful pirouette.

Some drivers will err on the side of caution, but this new format will bring out the best in others. Alonso gained so much from his awesome start yesterday, and it meant he was “out of position” doing what he does best, getting his elbows out against less talented or experienced drivers in faster cars. 

This always happens with a format change. Jarno Trulli was a very average Grand Prix driver, but had the measure of anybody over a single lap. The single-lap runs of the early 2000s suited him right down to the ground.

Incredible race today. Interested to see what others on this thread make of the early move!

1 hour ago, Duracell said:

Some drivers will err on the side of caution, but this new format will bring out the best in others. Alonso gained so much from his awesome start yesterday, and it meant he was “out of position” doing what he does best, getting his elbows out against less talented or experienced drivers in faster cars. 

This always happens with a format change. Jarno Trulli was a very average Grand Prix driver, but had the measure of anybody over a single lap. The single-lap runs of the early 2000s suited him right down to the ground.

Incredible race today. Interested to see what others on this thread make of the early move!

Great race loved it. People around me thought was at fault only just. But then Lewis overtook Leclerc at the same corner with the same move so there was room would be the obvious conclusion.

No sure if that was played on c4/sky but on the F1 radio. There was a really funny exchange between toto wolf and Lewis following the crash and deliberation between the assessors. Toto said "Lewis I sent you an email re. Some points of regulation Lewis replied "I don't read my emails when I am racing". Superb. 

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

No sure if that was played on c4/sky but on the F1 radio. There was a really funny exchange between toto wolf and Lewis following the crash and deliberation between the assessors. Toto said "Lewis I sent you an email re. Some points of regulation Lewis replied "I don't read my emails when I am racing". Superb. 

1 hour ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What he was actually saying,I am uneducated and cant read emails

At worst Hamilton was 60/40 to blame. Max bumping wheels with him in earlier corners. At least 3 times this season Max has nearly caused accidents with Lewis but Lewis backed out. Racing incident with Lewis slightly more at fault. Thought penalty was slightly harsh but all in all the stewards got it about right. Unfortunately it’s resulted in a bad accident for Max but thankfully he’s ok, but it’s racing and there is danger.

I think the reaction from Red Bull and Max has been completely disgraceful (Horner has gone down in my estimations massively and Max behaving like the petulant child as usual) additionally the racial abuse Hamilton has received on social media despicable. 

The 99th win of his career and definitely one of his best.

3 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Hamilton should never have been allowed to race after the restart,he knew that by taking out his main opponent the race would be his and he would close the points on said opponent.How he calls himself an englishman puzzles me,do English men cheat ?

One of the fairest racers in F1 as his record unequivocally illustrates. And given he was born and raised in England, it's hard to fathom what it is that puzzles you so. I'm also petty sure I've seen the odd footballer take a dive too, so perhaps your assertion that no English sportsman would cheat is a bit silly? 

3 hours ago, Malagaram said:

What he was actually saying,I am uneducated and cant read emails

So he's 'uneducated' and illiterate too, in your opinion? 

Ok...

So, my take:

We've got the proper Lewis Hamilton back.

The win it or bin it Hamilton, the raw aggressive, brilliant Hamilton. This Hamilton does make mistakes, but will also try things no one else would dream of, and quite often make them work.

Throwing it up the inside of Copse corner? Not something an average driver would do. Was it too dangerous? I don't think it was that crazy a move to try but he did have a responsibility to keep his line tight if he was going to, he had a good run at him and was carrying more spped at the corner entry - in my view Max just 100% did not believe Hamilton would seriously try to pull it, but left a car width anyway, Hamilton just looked to be understeering a tad and the slightest clip sent it.

I didn't disagree with the 10 seconds, he was trying something outside the box and didn't pull it off in a very high speed corner, the point is, you have to punish actions rather than consiquences. It's not a worse move because Max is in the wall or a less bad move if Max avoids the collision at the expense of his possition.

but I think Horner was over reacting with his *in so many words* demanding Hamilton get black flagged. It's not as if Horner's judgment would've been the height of impartial justice having seen his team's weekend going very badly. In my view, worthy of some "that's a bit beyond the pail" penalty is appropreate but it didn't need to be more.

After that all happened, well, it was a fine effort from Leclerk, and a lot of it's impossible to follow closely at this track, so whilst the standard of driving is very good, the actual passing is very limited (hopefully the new regs will change this a bit).

4 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Hamilton should never have been allowed to race after the restart,he knew that by taking out his main opponent the race would be his and he would close the points on said opponent.How he calls himself an englishman puzzles me,do English men cheat ?

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - There are loads of examples of englishmen cheating in sports and everywhere else, "Perfidious Albion" was not a moniker earned though chivalry.

However, Lewis Hamilton, whilst having the ruthless streak that all the greats have, is actually usually hard but fair. His aggression got tempered with maturity and he's made the odd "i'll just Schumacher you off the road" bit of car placment down the years but dangerous, dirty cheating or unfiar is not the driver Lewis Hamilton is.