F1 2021

Gaspode

Wasn't as boring as that track can be.

Great from Lewis.

Enjoyed verstappen on the first corner.

Enjoyed Leclerk on turn 3 even more.

Bit disappointing from Norris this race.

Onto the boredom/magnificent Monaco. I personally love Monaco, but it is an anachronism in modern F1.

51 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've never understood the importance placed on Monaco. It's absolute dirge from a race quality perspective. 

It's one of those It's Monaco, because.............. it's Monaco. At least it's historically boring rather than some of the new tracks that manage to be boring *ahem* Russia *ahem* yas marina....I totally get it if anyone hates Monaco, viewed in any rational way it is boring, no overtakes, limited entertainment.

5 hours ago, GeneralRam said:

That's why I always go to the Indy 500 instead. Always a great day out.

Indy 500 is one of those rare things where the ridiculous American hype is justified. It's every bit as exciting and huge as they make it out to be.

Helps that unlike many big American sporting events, international participation isn't just tolerated, but actively encouraged. 

20 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I've never understood the importance placed on Monaco. It's absolute dirge from a race quality perspective. 

Scenery is a bit more interesting also reminds me summer is just around the corner!

21 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's one of those It's Monaco, because.............. it's Monaco. At least it's historically boring rather than some of the new tracks that manage to be boring *ahem* Russia *ahem* yas marina....I totally get it if anyone hates Monaco, viewed in any rational way it is boring, no overtakes, limited entertainment.

Monaco is Monaco, bar the odd clip of a wall, get qualifying out the way and it’s a virtual procession of fast cars. The limited entertainment is more about off the track, bloody expensive mind and this year it’s going to be different.

Will be interesting to see a few spectators though, can’t exactly bar those living and working there from the course or marina.

On 09/05/2021 at 23:14, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

It's because it is a street race in one of the most glamourous regions in the world. It's also a throwback to the days before Lauda and Hunt when F1 wasn't the global hugely televised sport it is now. All of the F1 glitterati would pitch up and party their arses off with the race being almost incidental from a viewer's perspective.

Also, there also tended to be more accidents and car failures back then too, so there was a little 'added excitement'. With the quality of the drivers and the reliability of the cars, it's basically just a procession now as you've said, with the only real excitement being qualifying. They'll never get rid of it though and it's still the one the drivers want to win most, oddly enough! 

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

On 11/05/2021 at 03:16, 86 Hair Islands said:

It's because it is a street race in one of the most glamourous regions in the world. It's also a throwback to the days before Lauda and Hunt when F1 wasn't the global hugely televised sport it is now. All of the F1 glitterati would pitch up and party their arses off with the race being almost incidental from a viewer's perspective.

Also, there also tended to be more accidents and car failures back then too, so there was a little 'added excitement'. With the quality of the drivers and the reliability of the cars, it's basically just a procession now as you've said, with the only real excitement being qualifying. They'll never get rid of it though and it's still the one the drivers want to win most, oddly enough! 

Because they all live there (for tax reasons)

Now, in positive and uplifting F1 news, Red Bull have been rolling back the years and got back on the "Red Bull gives you Flexi-Wings" train. F1 has to be the only sport (with the possible exception of Pro-cycling) where the cheating is probably one of the most fascinating parts. 2010 vibes y'all.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-flapping-phenomenon-behind-f1s-latest-flexi-wing-intrigue/6507256/

I like Monaco. Yeah the race is generally a procession but I love watching the cars go round there. The onboards are incredible, there's always a chance of a pile up and a safety car at just the right/wrong time costing one of the big boys. The laps around the pits stops will be thrilling if it's Verstappen v Hamilton again.

I kind of like that overtaking is almost impossible because it makes it more special - especially if up front/for the podium. Kind of like a game in the Euro's that's 0-0 until the 118th minute and then a goal comes out of nowhere. Bit of an antidote to some of the foregone DRS-assisted passes you get at some of the Tilke-dromes.

Still the best street track on the calendar...

On 13/05/2021 at 03:04, 86 Hair Islands said:

Ha! A very pragmatic solution, I'm sure!?

I've never understood why British F1 drivers get shade for living in Monaco?

If my job entailed me living out of a suitcase for 40+ weeks a year, and being paid a fortune for doing so, damn sure I'm going to base myself in a sun drenched enclave a couple of hours from Blighty with a low tax rate. 

7 hours ago, Rev said:

I've never understood why British F1 drivers get shade for living in Monaco?

If my job entailed me living out of a suitcase for 40+ weeks a year, and being paid a fortune for doing so, damn sure I'm going to base myself in a sun drenched enclave a couple of hours from Blighty with a low tax rate. 

Couldn't agree more. Doubtless they pay more in cumulative UK duties than the vast majority of British taxpayers despite their domiciles being elsewhere and quite why folk believe they should pay exorbitant sums for facilities of which they make no use is entirely beyond me. 

On 14/05/2021 at 19:47, JoetheRam said:

Bit of an antidote to some of the foregone DRS-assisted passes you get at some of the Tilke-dromes.

Still the best street track on the calendar...

Yes.

I still maintain that whilst DRS has made more passing happen, it hasn't particularly improved the racing.

As for Mr Tilke.....I quite like COTA but he's penned so utterly awful tracks, Sochi for one, yas marina.... Turkey was OK

4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Yes.

I still maintain that whilst DRS has made more passing happen, it hasn't particularly improved the racing.

As for Mr Tilke.....I quite like COTA but he's penned so utterly awful tracks, Sochi for one, yas marina.... Turkey was OK

Sometimes DRS is too good. It was intended to allow a car to get close enough to outbreak someone, but you see them passing halfway down a straight.

I think it was a good idea, but at times it makes it too easy.