F1 2021

Gaspode

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Magnificent from Russell.

Terrible from race direction. There's driving in the wet, which I'm all for, but there are limits to what these cars can run in.

Glad Norris walked away from that.

Nice to Danny ric starting from a decent possition for a change. Same for Vettel. Predictable that having been passed over for the Red Bull drive, Gasley out qualifies Checo (you knew it would happen).

Surprised neither ferrari made Q3 but it was a bit of a difficult session.

Williams boss interviewed and stated that George deserves to be in a car that’s capable of winning the championship….?

FIA might as well announce that Verstapen has won the title  this year and save all the expense of holding the rest of the races....how he can even get half points for simply following the safety car for a few laps invalidates the entire result for me....absolute farce that they wanted to say the race result stood when there hadn't been any racing at all.....

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

FIA might as well announce that Verstapen has won the title  this year and save all the expense of holding the rest of the races....how he can even get half points for simply following the safety car for a few laps invalidates the entire result for me....absolute farce that they wanted to say the race result stood when there hadn't been any racing at all.....

It's not Verstappen's fault.

It's the FIA just determined to have it stand, presumably it makes like easier for them in all sorts of organisational ways but it does feel like it's ceated us of competition. awarding points for 2 laps is an utter joke. just suck it up that the event was scrubbed, null, no result. Got to have to be something like 15 laps raced before reduced points can come into it as a minimum.

It's a bit like when the organisers of cricket matches even if it rained all day would make the teams go out, bowl one ball then go back in just so they didn't have to give everyone their money back (don't think they can do that now).

13 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

It's not Verstappen's fault.

It's the FIA just determined to have it stand, presumably it makes like easier for them in all sorts of organisational ways but it does feel like it's ceated us of competition. awarding points for 2 laps is an utter joke. just suck it up that the event was scrubbed, null, no result. Got to have to be something like 15 laps raced before reduced points can come into it as a minimum.

It's a bit like when the organisers of cricket matches even if it rained all day would make the teams go out, bowl one ball then go back in just so they didn't have to give everyone their money back (don't think they can do that now).

I didn’t suggest it was Max’s fault - but the decision quite clearly benefited him the most - almost as if they wanted to reward him after all the Ref Bull crying following Silverstone. Perhaps Horner will contact the FIA and demand that the points are declared void - purely in the name of fairness of course…..

4 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

I didn’t suggest it was Max’s fault - but the decision quite clearly benefited him the most - almost as if they wanted to reward him after all the Ref Bull crying following Silverstone. Perhaps Horner will contact the FIA and demand that the points are declared void - purely in the name of fairness of course…..

I don't read it that way at all, this all about the FIA not wanting to have to deal with a "didn't race" situation. The reduced points after 2 laps is in the rulebook wasn't decided on the hoof. You win some, you lose some but this is on the race direction deciding those laps were race laps.

Red bull's team behaviour is quite another thing - my god they're so utterly dislikable, Marko, Horner, everyone's against us, it's not fair, we spent tens of thousands of quid proving alex ablon couldn't have the corner so that proves Lewis did on purpose, it's not fair, mercedes should pay for our crash damage (etc etc etc) - but that had no bearing on today's events in my opinion, it just worked out that way.

11 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't read it that way at all, this all about the FIA not wanting to have to deal with a "didn't race" situation. The reduced points after 2 laps is in the rulebook wasn't decided on the hoof. You win some, you lose some but this is on the race direction deciding those laps were race laps.

This was an expedient way to BOTH keep the contest tight AND also to shaft the paying fans. The mealy-mouthed utterings from the stewards and the FIA are frankly embarrassing. There was never any chance of them racing and everybody knows it, as confirmed by all the drivers themselves. Sending the drivers out a second time when if anything, the conditions and visibility had worsened, was the height of cynicism and clearly illustrated an almost contemptuous disregard for those attending the event. This was a vey bad day for the sport and steps must be taken to avoid any repeat in the future. 

33 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

This was an expedient way to BOTH keep the contest tight AND also to shaft the paying fans. The mealy-mouthed utterings from the stewards and the FIA are frankly embarrassing. There was never any chance of them racing and everybody knows it, as confirmed by all the drivers themselves. Sending the drivers out a second time when if anything, the conditions and visibility had worsened, was the height of cynicism and clearly illustrated an almost contemptuous disregard for those attending the event. This was a vey bad day for the sport and steps must be taken to avoid any repeat in the future. 

Agree, it needs changing.

Looking forwrd to tomorrow.

OK, it might come down to some first lap drama or a pit stop, but the track looks like it's a blast to drive on.

In news outside of the title fight, it seems it's not only F1 fans and journalists who wanted Gasley to get the red bull drive again (and Gasley is doing all he can to earn it), it seems Checo agrees given his antics in Spa and qualifying P16.

Great effort from Giovinazzi to get the alpha romeo to P7 - perhaps kimi retiring and (probably) Bottas incoming have inspired him to pull off a george russell impression until he gets his drive sorted for next year.

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Looking forwrd to tomorrow.

OK, it might come down to some first lap drama or a pit stop, but the track looks like it's a blast to drive on.

In news outside of the title fight, it seems it's not only F1 fans and journalists who wanted Gasley to get the red bull drive again (and Gasley is doing all he can to earn it), it seems Checo agrees given his antics in Spa and qualifying P16.

Great effort from Giovinazzi to get the alpha romeo to P7 - perhaps kimi retiring and (probably) Bottas incoming have inspired him to pull off a george russell impression until he gets his drive sorted for next year.

Procession incoming I suspect. The RB car is blisteringly quick and barring accidents, it's hard to see beyond Verstappen. Hamilton taking a tow from Bottas has disguised the margin of superiority somewhat but there should be plenty of action further down the pack on a circuit that looks a cinch, but seemed to be catching a fair few drivers out in practice and qualy. 

On a general note, does anyone else think that Mercedes have winged it a little this year, instead concentrating their R & D efforts on preparing a car to meet the the new 2022 aero regs? Conversely, to my eyes, RB seem to have done the opposite though it's feasible they too have an ace up their sleeve for next season, I suppose. I'm a Hammy fanboy but it's good for the sport to see more competitive racing and behind the font two especially, there's been some brilliant dices this year. More of this in 2022 please FIA! 

38 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Procession incoming I suspect. The RB car is blisteringly quick and barring accidents, it's hard to see beyond Verstappen. Hamilton taking a tow from Bottas has disguised the margin of superiority somewhat but there should be plenty of action further down the pack on a circuit that looks a cinch, but seemed to be catching a fair few drivers out in practice and qualy. 

On a general note, does anyone else think that Mercedes have winged it a little this year, instead concentrating their R & D efforts on preparing a car to meet the the new 2022 aero regs? Conversely, to my eyes, RB seem to have done the opposite though it's feasible they too have an ace up their sleeve for next season, I suppose. I'm a Hammy fanboy but it's good for the sport to see more competitive racing and behind the font two especially, there's been some brilliant dices this year. More of this in 2022 please FIA! 

Yeah, I think Mercedes calculated they had enough/diminishing returns of development on their car so have developed less, whilst red bull calculated that this year was their chance and have gone all in on it.

Ferarri vs McLaren and Alpine/Aston/Alpha tauri are very good battles this year. I expect williams alpha romeo and haas to finish the order they are now.

Given the amount of red flags and the wind catching people out I'd imagaine there might be startegic winners and losers and few spins.

40 minutes ago, David said:

More entertaining than the race itself. Not a great track at all

Hadn't really clocked during practice and qualy how narrow it is! It's an interesting track but, as feared, it didn't make for much of a race with only 3 cars finishing on the same lap.

I guess Liberty were keen to exploit the Verstappen factor and in fairness, the Dutch fans are amazing, as they always seem to be irrespective of the sport. Not the best look though when what is happening off-tack is more interesting than what's happening on it.

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

The race needed someone to bin it or rain to liven it up.

Checo made a decent recovery getting past both McLarens and Ocon, but he did have a new engine and the fastest car so you'd hope he'd make progress.

Alonso got pasr Sainz.

That's about it for action.

Oh and Bottas got ordered not to try to do the fastest lap. tried anyway. Lewis beat it.

Gasley did a good race, not interesting, but good.

Would've been far more interesting if Hamilton had got ahead of Verstappen at the start, but merc just weren't fast enough today.

Still, the title lead swings again and the next race is Monza which is a classic track - although I'd still be in favour of bringing back the combined banking+road coarse version, but I doubt that'll happen.

Rum day for Aston Martin. Was amsused by the (quicky disowned) story of Aston asking about Fernando next year to replace Seb. Rough for mclaren as well.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hadn't really clocked during practice and qualy how narrow it is! It's an interesting track but, as feared, it didn't make for much of a race with only 3 cars finishing on the same lap.

I guess Liberty were keen to exploit the Verstappen factor and in fairness, the Dutch fans are amazing, as they always seem to be irrespective of the sport. Not the best look though when what is happening off-tack is more interesting than what's happening on it.

Best thing about today was the Orange army celebrations, can’t really knock them, it’s no different to Silverstone for us Brits. Pretty awesome sight in truth, i like Dutch fans at any sport for all the colour and passion they bring.