F1 2021

Gaspode

6 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Do you remember when Alonso moved to McLaren and everyone thought it was only a matter of time before he got his 3rd title? He's been good enough consistently enough to have won another title...but there's a lot of things that need to line up to actually win it, so, no, I don't think it's crazy at all that this may be Verstappen's best or only chance to win the championship.

Verstappen is a fantastic driver but I will always want Lewis to win a world championship whilst he keeps driving even if it's boring. 

• 2 weeks later...

Things just seem to be getting worse for the Mercedes team in Baku they are struggling to get in the top 10 whilst the bloody Red Bull team are walking away with both titles. Really worried Lewis Hamilton could have lost the world championship already to Verstappen especially if Verstappen wins on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Things just seem to be getting worse for the Mercedes team in Baku they are struggling to get in the top 10 whilst the bloody Red Bull team are walking away with both titles. Really worried Lewis Hamilton could have lost the world championship already to Verstappen especially if Verstappen wins on Sunday. 

I wouldn't worry yet. Ok this track and Monaco don't suit the Merc but back on more conventional tracks they're pretty much level. And verstappen hasn't led for long and we've yet to find out how he will handle the pressure. He put it in the wall in FP3, see if that knocks his confidence.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I wouldn't worry yet. Ok this track and Monaco don't suit the Merc but back on more conventional tracks they're pretty much level. And verstappen hasn't led for long and we've yet to find out how he will handle the pressure. He put it in the wall in FP3, see if that knocks his confidence.

Really hope your right I would rather see the Ferrari's win tomorrow than Verstappen. Of course want Lewis to win, hopefully Verstappen as damaged his car and needs a gearbox change. 

Great qualifying, yet still somehow anticlimactic with no one getting a second run.

Hamilton's race to lose tomorrow if he gets to the first corner ahead of Verstappen, given Ferrari's race pace and the Mercedes straight line speed. Safety car is bound to cause chaos at some point though.

Great effort from Gasly today.

24 minutes ago, JoetheRam said:

Great qualifying, yet still somehow anticlimactic with no one getting a second run.

Hamilton's race to lose tomorrow if he gets to the first corner ahead of Verstappen, given Ferrari's race pace and the Mercedes straight line speed. Safety car is bound to cause chaos at some point though.

Great effort from Gasly today.

Yeah the lack of second runs was a shame. Until he binned it, Yuki was my pick of the day.

13 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

Fear not Ziggy. There are some tracks that will not suit the Mercedes but most will. And you can't keep a good man down. Literally overnight, Mercedes have swapped downforce for straight-line speed and Hammy's the man to make that pay. Tomorrow's race could be an absolute belter.

13 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Fear not Ziggy. There are some tracks that will not suit the Mercedes but most will. And you can't keep a good man down. Literally overnight, Mercedes have swapped downforce for straight-line speed and Hammy's the man to make that pay. Tomorrow's race could be an absolute belter.

Or it could be DRS dominated where everyone falls into line on the straight and can't do anything about it the rest of the lap. Going for the straight line speed was the right call by Merc. I think Hamilton will win, Max P2, Le Clerk P3, then Norris, Sainz and Perez in a take your pick order depending how tyres/pit stops play out, the alpha tairus to go backwards, some Alonso heroics, Danny ric to be super agressive, get into the points, then bin it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, good qualifying from Merc, P2&3 but really good by Verstappen.

Perez P4

Good effort from Sainz to qualify P5.

Have to say, the track sucks no matter how many stripes they paint and how despite miles of run off are they all in the wall causing red flags.....

Be an interesting start to the race even if the rest is likely to be boring.

Mercedes strategists are completely clueless sometimes. How many times have they managed to allow Hamilton to be undercut from a leading position already this year. Beggars belief that they thought they could get Bottas out in front of Verstappen. Just pit the lead car lads, like everyone else and stop trying to be too clever!!!

And then they compound the error by failing to give Lewis the chance to undercut on the 2nd stop, instead leaving him to do nearly 35 laps on a single set on a single set of hard tyres. Even the typically unflappable Bottas turning the air blue at their inept and indecisive strategists who are in danger of handing the WDC and constructors title to Red Bull. In a season where they clearly do not have the fastest car, they simply can't afford to keep making errors at this rate.

52 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Mercedes strategists are completely clueless sometimes. How many times have they managed to allow Hamilton to be undercut from a leading position already this year. Beggars belief that they thought they could get Bottas out in front of Verstappen. Just pit the lead car lads, like everyone else and stop trying to be too clever!!!

Bottas "why did no one listen to me when I said it would be a two stop race?"

Checo ?

On 20/06/2021 at 15:44, 86 Hair Islands said:

And then they compound the error by failing to give Lewis the chance to undercut on the 2nd stop, instead leaving him to do nearly 35 laps on a single set on a single set of hard tyres. Even the typically unflappable Bottas turning the air blue at their inept and indecisive strategists who are in danger of handing the WDC and constructors title to Red Bull. In a season where they clearly do not have the fastest car, they simply can't afford to keep making errors at this rate.

Great that they are tho?

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Great that they are tho?

Givn the last interesting season was Rosberg v Lewis a few years back it's great that it's competetive. Momentum is with Verstappen at the moment but it's a long season adn Merc and Lewis are serious about their game to not have a swing back. I thing Red bull will probably be stong the next two, but I think Silverstone will be a key race.